Menu

Amazon Kindle and Kids

We are buying a Kindle for our 8 year old.

Are there ways to set up parental controls, so she doesn't inadvertently purchase something willy nilly?

If your child has a Kindle, do you link it to your own Amazon account, or do you have to set up their own account for delivery purposes?

I have Kindle on my iPad, but I know you can set up several devices on one account. But if I do that, will she be able to download items in MY cloud?

Each of my boys got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. They are all linked to my account, which I love, even though there is no way to turn off 1-click buying. I've told them not to buy anything, and it's not been an issue, even for my 6 year old. They aren't allowed to look in the bookstore, though, simply because the search can bring up some inappropriate content. They do "buy" free apps. I get an email for everything that is purchased.

Because they're all on my account, we can buy something once, but it goes to everyone's Kindle. If I check out a library book, it can be read on all 6 Kindles at once (I have a Kindle2).

I have a vague memory of someone describing a way to unlink your Kindle from your account and then re-link when time to download.

I think the deal is the Kindle Fire has parental controls for the WiFi.

With other Kindles the advice seems to be to de-register it from your account and when you want to add content re-register, add content, and then de-register again. Bit of a pain but if not they do have access to any Kindle material that is on your account.

Another option would be to get a Kindle that has wifi access only not WhisperNet. Don't give it a WiFi password and then download all content via a physical connection to your computer.

Hope that helps some. I'm not sure there is a clear cut answer.

Sorry-I don't have a Fire so I can't answer.

We have a boring Kindle Keyboard model and Kindle apps on the computers and on the iPad.

If I were to buy another Kindle-which I think I might soon. I will probably go for the Touch. I dislike the part with the cheapest model where you have to move the cursor around to select letters rather than having a keyboard. Of course I am looking for an e-reader only, not a game device and already have an iPad so...that changes my perspective.

You might want to check out the blog I Love My Kindle

http://ilmk.wordpress.com

There are lots of reviews and tips for Kindle owners there.

My kids all have kindle keyboard (what they are called now) with WI FI only, no 3g.

They are all linked to my amazon account. To keep them from accidentally purchasing something I simply didn't like them to the wifi network in our home. When they want a book, I buy it through amazon on the computer and use the "Download to PC" option. Then they are in a file on my computer and I plug the kindle in with the USB cord, it can then be opened like a flash drive and I drag and drop the book to their kindle.

I do this because if they are on WIFI all of my books download to their kindle's any time I sync them. I didn't like that because then the most I can do is move them to the archives on their kindle.

It's a little more work for me, but this is the way I have to do it until amazon wises up and gets something that works more like itunes so that I can plug in and pick what I want on that device without having to download everything.

I was the one who accidentally bought something with the Kindle one-click. After going around and around with Amazon customer service chat, it was finally suggested that I remove the payment information so accidental one-click purchases couldn't be made. It works.

Heh, my 5 yr old bought an in app upgrade once on his/his sister's tablet that's managed under my Amazon account (which I use for my Kindle Fire). I told him, "Hey, don't buy upgrades, OK?" He replied, "Oh, ok. I just couldn't stand the ads." :lol: Apparently, Pook Break Pro is just awful with ads otherwise. ;)

Thanks. These are all really great ideas...

For those of you with a Fire, is there a reason you went with the more expensive Fire? Did you choose it as an iPad substitute, or simply because you wanted color?

I guess we kind of wanted an iPad substitute, though we most likely wouldn't ever get an iPad (we'd get a larger Android tablet over an iPad). We wanted to boys to be able to check their email and go to certain websites. They wanted to apps (we don't have smartphones or anything else that run apps). Of course, we wanted them to be able to read books. It can run flash, so they can do sites like Headventure Land. My youngest was sick last week and was able to watch the Leap Frog videos from Netflix on the couch without disturbing anyone.

My older two boys are reading Frankenstein for a worldview class. I was able to buy the audible version for $2.95 and get the Kindle version for free. They can listen to the audible version and read along on the free Kindle version (I can't do this on my Kindle version, though I might be able to if I moved the audible file to the music folder, but I don't know if that would work). I've got a slow reader, so this is a great option.