Menu

Our new minivan and problem with cigarette smoke

We bought a new (used, but new to us) minivan on Saturday. It is a 2007 with low miles and was pretty much exactly what we were looking for. My dh was cleaning it yesterday and noticed a few cigarette burns on the drivers seat. So we can assume the van has been smoked in. There is absolutely no cigarette smoke smell in the van. My dh is worried that the dealer just used a deodorizer in the van and the cigarette smell will return. We are usually very careful not to buy a used vehicle that has been smoked in. My dh is very sensitive to cigarette smoke. We are not sure what to do. I am thinking the dealer probably used a odor eliminator and not just a deodorizer. I have googled and there are products we could buy if the smell returned. Like I said, there is no trace of a cigarette smell and believe me my dh has a very sensitive nose. He always smell things in the house before anyone else does. :lol: My dh mentioned returning the van, but it really is everything we wanted and was a pretty good deal. What would you do?

If I can hit the undo button, I would hit it. I don't think that is possible though. Usually when you buy a used car, it is done/finished/over. There are other problems than smell that go along with a smoked-in vehicle. It causes the glue that holds the fabric to the ceiling to disintegrate with time. That is particularly annoying.:glare:

Then, put containers of coffee in it over night for a few nights (dry ground coffee, not brewed coffee). When you're done with that, put cut up oranges around in and maybe just leave them in there. They smell nice and absorb the smokey smell. My current suburban had the same problem, and now it is odor free!

They could have cleaned it really thoroughly and if so it might not return. The car I had a couple of cars ago stank to high heaven of dogs when we bought it. We cleaned it super thoroughly and used a product that cleaned out the airconditioning/vents. It worked and the smell never returned.

I would return it. IME the smells just can't be totally eliminated. Once the humid summer months hit, it's likely the smells will return. My state laws essentially allow you to 'undo' within 30 days. Maybe your state has something similar??

They may have cleaned it very thoroughly, using strong suction on the upholstery and seat cushions, air vents, ceiling fabric etc. Hopefully it will be fine. I understand though. I am also very sensitive to cigarette smoke. Being in a space with smoke residue, even when it is very old, causes me to have asthma symptoms.

Our van smelled when it was first on the lot. It had just arrived, so we saw it before they had a chance to do anything to it. That did concern me- I'm allergic and can feel my lungs constric with the slightest cigarette smoke. But the salesman assured us that they would clean it well and it wouldn't smell anymore. They did, and it never came back.