Menu

Need your best insomnia tips - now.

Is there ANYTHING that works?

I am going CRAZY!

I have tried:

- Getting into bed and attempting to sleep. (DUH.)

- Counting sheep (I keep getting lost because they start running at some point.)

- Warm baths (No avail.)

- A nice herbal tisane (Nope.)

- Progressive relaxation (It only got me feeling fidgety and edgy to move.)

- Working on a particularly boring document (Did not bore me enough to fall asleep.)

- Working on a particularly difficult one (Did not exhaust me enough to fall asleep.)

- WTMing in pauses from the above and below methods (The worst insomnia technique ever, it only gets you more awake.)

- Getting away from the screen and visualizing a nice calm sea while listening to very quiet relaxing music (The sea got windy and I was still awake.)

- Lowering the temperature of the room (I got more awake because I got cold.)

- Upping the temperature of the room (It did not help to get me slightly dizzy to sleep.)

- Grading DD's school stuff (And promptly decided to quit, because I got agitated by some nonsense she wrote.)

- Talking to God (Snubbed me as always.)

- Reading Joyce (Boring, but not sleep inducing unfortunately.)

- Eating chocolate (Guilt. Guilt. Guilt. And ineffective.)

- Walking circles in the room (It only got more oxygen into my brain.)

- Calling DH who is away (And of no avail with his classical "Have a glass of water." cure-for-all)

- Drinking that glass of water (Nothing.)

- Throwing my personal little tantrum with jumping around in frustration and throwing clothes around (It only got me laughing at the end, but I was still awake.)

- Consoling myself with Ovid (Got too enchanted by the sheer beauty of his verses to fall asleep.)

- Coming back here composing this epic post in hope I will fall sleep before I finish it (Not working)

What. can. I. do? This is not a consequence of medication nor anything, I just go through stupid phases like this. I have slept extremely little in the past few days (and badly in the recent weeks) and I am TIRED, but at the same time HYPER. In exactly 10 hours I must be able to function on a HIGH level and I doubt I will be able - I will have either collapsed by then, either be so dizzy and sleep-deprived to be a walking zombie. I was hoping for MORE sleep today, not LESS.

I am NOT going to take any sleep-inducing drugs, even "natural" ones, and melatonin either screws me up, either does not work - every advice *other* than that is welcome.

What do I do?!

Beer.

This is why I'm no fun at parties, I get tanked and I fall asleep. :001_smile:

Praying the Hail Mary and refusing to let my mind wander. (insert your own version of 4 line meditation here)

When I have to function like that, my lack of sleep and its consequences puts me in a positive panic. And the more worried about it I get the more frantic I get. So I refuse to think about it. If I start to think about tomorrow, I pretend it's something else.

I know, I keep editing. I've been finding that if my feet are cold, I can't sleep. They must be warm before I nod off. It takes a LONG time for my feet to warm up, so sometimes I soak them in warm water.

Edited by justamouse

I turn on the telvision to a History channel program I have watched at least twice. There is a particular narrator whose voice is soothing, and, since I already have watched, I tend to drift off. I do this when DH is away, or when my mind gets stuck in overdrive for a few days.

Give up, watch a movie, and enjoy the quiet house. Obsessing about falling asleep and counting the remaining hours will only wind you up. Tomorrow will be rough, so go ahead and lay out your clothes and shower tonight. Set up the day so it can go on auto-pilot then just relax. A glass of something that makes you feel warm can't hurt :-)

Hypnosis CDs. Dr. Scott Lewis, I think his name is. It's a lot like Progressive Relaxation, though, so YMMV. I swear, I listen to them and conk out like a ton of bricks.

My dh has lots of trouble sleeping. He takes magnesium citrate at night (helps muscles relax - same thinking as epsom salt bath) and sometimes niacinamide (a vitamin supplement, helps him stop thinking about so many things), when he isn't taking an actual medicine.

From what I understand, there is really an epidemic of insomnia amongst people of a certain age these days - it seems as though nearly everyone in my dh's office takes a prescription.

Beer.

This is why I'm no fun at parties, I get tanked and I fall asleep. :001_smile:

Praying the Hail Mary and refusing to let my mind wander. (insert your own version of 4 line meditation here)

When I have to function like that, my lack of sleep and its consequences puts me in a positive panic. And the more worried about it I get the more frantic I get. So I refuse to think about it. If I start to think about tomorrow, I pretend it's something else.

I know, I keep editing. I've been finding that if my feet are cold, I can't sleep. They must be warm before I nod off. It takes a LONG time for my feet to warm up, so sometimes I soak them in warm water.

I really hate beer, though. :glare: And alcohol, if anything, wakes me up too, LOL.

I am panicking too, because I really need sleep and I am all hyper instead, feel like moving. My muscles hurt, I have a mild headache, and I cannot really concentrate well. I am also cold. And panicking. There is no way I will be sane in ten hours. I need to make up for LOTS of sleep. If I get little sleep or no sleep (one of that is likely), I will be a zombie. I hate being a zombie. :( I already feel the effects of the insomniac phase on my mental clarity. I need that mental clarity in ten hours. I really really need it. I am also getting hypohondriac - these insomnia phases cannot possibly be healthy.

I feel your pain. Truly. Last night I COULD NOT SLEEP. What helps me sometimes is to put epsom salts into that warm bathtub.

I will try next time... Having a bit of an evil pleasure now at a thought that I am not the only one stuck with this problem :lol:, but really, it is full blown phases with me. Weeks at a time.

I turn on the telvision to a History channel program I have watched at least twice. There is a particular narrator whose voice is soothing, and, since I already have watched, I tend to drift off. I do this when DH is away, or when my mind gets stuck in overdrive for a few days.

TV is not the option right now... but maybe I could watch something on Youtube? However, the problem is that I am also facing a lack of concentration for auditory stuff (figured that out with music), I will probably be getting lost and then frustrated for getting lost. :(

I do take melatonin, but when I haven't a glass of warm milk does help me. I warm it up and add a teaspoon of vanilla, a dash of cinnamon, and a spoon of sugar. It's not too sweet, it's hot so it warms you inside, and there is something psychological for me that makes me believe it makes me sleepy. Eh, I don't know...it always works!

Give up, watch a movie, and enjoy the quiet house. Obsessing about falling asleep and counting the remaining hours will only wind you up. Tomorrow will be rough, so go ahead and lay out your clothes and shower tonight. Set up the day so it can go on auto-pilot then just relax. A glass of something that makes you feel warm can't hurt :-)

I think I am too irritable for a movie, overall... But maybe you are right about giving up. Hm.

Hypnosis CDs. Dr. Scott Lewis, I think his name is. It's a lot like Progressive Relaxation, though, so YMMV. I swear, I listen to them and conk out like a ton of bricks.

I never heard of this, thanks, will check it out.

From what I understand, there is really an epidemic of insomnia amongst people of a certain age these days - it seems as though nearly everyone in my dh's office takes a prescription.

Really? I wonder what could it be caused by... (And what age? :D)

I hardly ever have trouble sleeping....

You are not fun. :glare: Lucky. :tongue_smilie:

Alcohol seems to be counter-productive with me, though. No idea why. I hardly ever drink, though, so I never specifically tried it, but I am always more awake then usual after a drink.

Thanks everyone who contributed or who commiserates with me.

Alcohol seems to be counter-productive with me, though. No idea why. I hardly ever drink, though, so I never specifically tried it, but I am always more awake then usual after a drink.

Thanks everyone who contributed or who commiserates with me.

If alcohol wakes you up, your brain may be wired that caffeine may slow it down (a la kids with ADD take stimulants and/or caffeine to calm) - have you tried a cup of coffee?

Eat turkey (works for me, I always get sleepy after eating turkey!). Or drink warm milk (works for ds). Or maybe both.

Turkey?! You win the "most original advice" prize! :D Never heard it before!

I do take melatonin, but when I haven't a glass of warm milk does help me. I warm it up and add a teaspoon of vanilla, a dash of cinnamon, and a spoon of sugar. It's not too sweet, it's hot so it warms you inside, and there is something psychological for me that makes me believe it makes me sleepy. Eh, I don't know...it always works!

I cannot have milk right now (I actually consume it so rarely that I forget about the possibility), but cinnamon is not a bad idea, there is something distinctly "sleepy" about its smell I guess... Now only if I had some. Hm. Thanks for this, I will try it out tomorrow (as I doubt I have any now, but if the darned insomnia does not go away, trying it tomorrow).

Turkey?! You win the "most original advice" prize! :D Never heard it before!

I cannot have milk right now (I actually consume it so rarely that I forget about the possibility), but cinnamon is not a bad idea, there is something distinctly "sleepy" about its smell I guess... Now only if I had some. Hm. Thanks for this, I will try it out tomorrow (as I doubt I have any now, but if the darned insomnia does not go away, trying it tomorrow).

Lol! Turkey has triptophan (sp?) in it, which can cause drowsiness. It doesn't seem to work in processed lunch meat type turkey, only regular turkey like you would cook for a meal.

If alcohol wakes you up, your brain may be wired that caffeine may slow it down (a la kids with ADD take stimulants and/or caffeine to calm) - have you tried a cup of coffee?

Revealing my profound ignorance here - the link never occurred to me. You think that coffee might actually calm me down? I suppose I drink it too rarely to have noticed any specific effect, but now that you mention it, I am not sure I ever really got the "kick" out of the coffee the way other people presumably do. Hm. Interesting. I am going to try the blackest coffee possible. :tongue_smilie:

Insomnia is the worst. It is just occasional I have no advice. If it is a regular thing my two suggestions are 1. Exercise, preferably outdoors, not too late in the day. 2. "Sleep hygiene" - regular schedule, get up in the morning even if you had a bad night's sleep, no screens two hours before bed.

Sweetie, you will become ecstatic when you find out that I have insomnia often. (Last night was just particularly bad because when I finally did get to sleep I had nightmares.:glare:)

I get nightmares from melatonin. :glare:

How does insomnia work by you? I am a normal healthy person for a few months, then I get a month of insomnia when I oscillate between being a zombie and being hyper without much sleep, then some normal weeks of months followed by an insomnia break again, etc. (I use "insomnia" a bit loosely, I never actually go through more than two days literally without any sleep, but it is heavily reduced and inadequate.)

I actually suspect I have some kind of a sleep disorder (it is not only insomnia, but in general, I have some "skippings" in sleep and then some delayed sleep then jet lag without a jet lag, etc.), but I guess it never bothered me "enough" to investigate into it medically because I still manage to cope - somehow. Although right now I am AAAARGH.

Edited by Ester Maria

I second the magnesium citrate (especially in powdered form, taken in hot water... more easily absorbed), the turkey, the epsom salt bath, and the sleep hygiene. The turkey is kind of random, but it is known to help.

For me, I prefer to sleep in bed, but if I was desperate, I CANNOT lay down on my couch at night watching a tv show, or I will be out. Wanna borrow my couch? :)

Give up. Really. Assume you will have no sleep and do anything! that appeals. There is no sleeping under pressure. Alternate relaxation and escapism. Hello WTM! Lay down and progressively relax for 30-60 min, knowing it will not lead to sleep, but just as a way to relax your muscles. Then get up and escape online for a while. Repeat. It won't cure your insomnia, but will give you a way to cope.

Best wishes. BTDT.

When I can't sleep, it's from one of two causes: either I've been woken up (I'm a very light sleeper and can't get back to sleep if something wakes me), or something is stressing me and I can't relax and forget about it enough to sleep. In either case I do crosswords (for me, very relaxing) in bed till I fall asleep again.

But your problem doesn't sound like either of those. Have you ever consulted a doctor about it?

Thanks everyone for your support.

Wrote down to ask DH about magnesium. Taking the "give it up" offline route now. Coffee is the next attempt, if I manage to find it.

Needs. sleep.

Amy - I sometimes wonder if I should ask medical help about it. I sort of accepted it as "it is just how things are" since obviously I do function even with that problem, but in times like this, I think it might not be a bad idea.

A variation of conting sheep: Pretend you are on a beach. You have a stick in your hand and you write a number 1. Then a wave comes in and washes it away. Next you write a number 2 and let the wave take it. And so on.

I get insomnia quite a bit and this usually works for me.

You can also write your worries or the day's stresses in the sand. I am going to try that next time.

Edited by Miss Peregrine

Benedryl is what they give for sleeping pills in the hospital.

I find that when I can't sleep it's because my brain is pondering what I have to do shortly too much. I can turn it off, usually, by avoiding screen time for an hour or so before bed, keeping a little pad of paper next to the bed so I can jot down lists as they come up (so they won't keep me awake thinking about them), setting an alarm clock so I don't worry about not waking up on time, and consciously thinking about something very relaxing and not terribly engaging, like a weaving pattern or a beach with waves coming in and out. I also pray, on the theory that thanking God that I have extra time awake to talk to Him is appropriate, but I don't pray to go to sleep, but rather about all the other stuff.

First, hugs. :grouphug::grouphug: Not sleeping is The Worst.

Second, IMunfortunatelysimilarE, you have to stop panicking. As a PP said, just give up. Yes, you are going to be really tired. But you WILL be able to dig down and get that last little bit of adrenaline and focus that you need tomorrow, regardless of how much sleep you do or don't get tonight. Yes, sleep would be good, but regardless, you will be able to do what you need to do. So stop fretting, stop looking at the clock, just let it go.

Third, I would get off the computer and stay away from all screens. There's apparently some scientific backing for the notion that they interfere with sleep. So just pick up a good book and read for a while, maybe half an hour or an hour. Then dim the lights and rest. Don't try to sleep. Just rest. Rest is huge. Even if you don't sleep at all tonight, rest will help you get through tomorrow. Sometimes I try to think about something mindless and fun -- like cooking or travel plans. Sometimes then it just magically becomes morning, but again, don't count on it. Just rest.

Fourth, for solving or at least mitigating the problem long-term, do you get regular hard exercise? Working out -- I run or swim -- makes all the difference in the world to my sleep. Unfortunately, working out too late in the day absolutely kills my sleep, so I have to squeeze it in sometime before about midafternoon, but it really, really helps.

And finally, more :grouphug::grouphug:. They use sleep deprivation as torture for good reason, IMO.

Edited by JennyD

Get up very early, every day, and during the day do some physical work - think farm chores - haul wood, chop wood, dig holes and pick out rocks, plant things in the garden, weed garden, take drastic measures to keep garden from freezing, move a compost pile around, shovel snow, throw salt on ice, walk the dog, clean up chicken coop, clean up after dogs or any other animals that you own of frequent your property.

If you don't remotely do anything like farming, I suppose an exercise video or a vigorous cleaning of the the house could do in a pinch - just do something that gets you worn out. Work it in between subjects that you are teaching, and figure out how to get nutritious meals cooked (and cleaned up after) as well. Don't forget the laundry.

When you crawl in bed, read seven pages of a novel and fight to keep your eyes open. Now it is time for sleep.

This is the cure for insomnia.

Seconding, thirding - whatever the epsom salt bath. I never knew how amazing magnesium was until I started having headaches and insomnia. I get a good book, a hot bath with salts and soak until the water gets cool. I've even been known to have dh heat a teakettle of hot water to reheat the tub so I could stay in there longer.

Bedtime tea with valerian seems to help too, but isn't as strong as the pills so I don't feel groggy and grumpy the next day.

Good luck. I'm going on about 4 hours of sleep today and this week is a crazy week - I hope tonight is better.

If you don't want to take sleep aids, don't take Benedryl.

I also would not recommend alcohol. It is entirely too easy to go from needing one to go to sleep to needing two. Then needing 3, 4 and 5. Well, there you go you are now an alcoholic insomniac.

How is your exercise level? I find that if I'm moving enough that I burn between 6-700 calories per day I sleep better. But don't exercise within 3 hours of bedtime.

Get lots of fresh air during the day. Get outside and take a nice long stroll.

Before bed write down thoughts about any problems you've had during the day or will be facing tomorrow. If you find that you are obsessing about something instead of sleeping get the paper out and write it all down.

Stay off the computer when you can't sleep. Do not turn on the TV. Try not to turn on any lights. Which is harder said than done.

An Epsom salt bath may help you relax prior to bedtime. You need to soak at least 20 minutes for it to be any help.

Make sure you are not hungry before bed.

Meditation can be helpful.

Make sure you are getting enough time to yourself. I know sometimes I'll be enjoying being alone in the quiet house so much that I miss the window of opportunity to go to sleep. It is as if I've caught my second wind and I'm now awake for another 3 hours.

Good luck.

Thanks guys.

I had made a coffee and I got a full of two hours of sleep meanwhile :D, now I am in a relatively good mood. I have no idea what caused what, whether it was coffee or I got exhausted from panicking, but at some point I did manage to slightly fall asleep, at least for a short while. At least something.

I did not do the whole work, however (plus I had estimated the time wrong yesterday in frenzy - it was not in ten hours but earlier, which then added to my panic when I figured that out and how little time I had... still managed to somehow sleep for two hours), my mental capacities were reduced and I seem to be regaining them only now, slowly.

I do not really exercise at the moment :blush:, maybe I should start again. But this coffee thing is interesting. And I am still exhausted, but now in the hyper phase again after a zombie phase from since I woke up.

I need to start exercising anyway, insomnia or not. I am WAY too fidgety lately.

Thanks everoyne once more.

Maybe try a different sleeping position? For whatever reason I can fall asleep easier lying on my stomach. Of course that kills my back and neck so I generally don't do it, but it does help.

I have a lot of problems with middle-of-the-night insomnia. My brain just will not shut off and let me go back to sleep. The best thing I've found is to picture myself inside a room with a bunch of drawers. I picture myself slightly opening the "sleep" drawer and letting sleep dust fill the room, and every time I think about something, I picture myself shutting the drawer for that thought. It sounds weird but it's worked better than anything else I've tried. I got the idea from something I once heard about Alexander the Great--when he was ready to go to sleep he just shut all the other compartments in his mind and opened the sleep compartment and voila, he went to sleep.

Get up at 6:00am, no coffee/caffeine after 10:00am, exercise for 30-60 minutes no later than 3:00pm

I have had insomnia on and off, very badly, for about 12 years now. Even if I follow the suggestions above religiously, sometimes I still don't sleep.

That said - if I do all of the above - 95% of the time I have NO problem falling asleep by 10pm.

Oh gosh, this happens to me too! Sympathies to all the other insomniacs. :grouphug:

Okay. It may be coincidental. But I did manage to sleep for the second time thanks to coffee.

I normally do not drink it, very rarely I do. Am I imagining this or it may really have a more calming effect on me? :confused:

This defies my logic. :confused: Maybe it is a coincidence, I was really exhausted. Or it works.

Okay. It may be coincidental. But I did manage to sleep for the second time thanks to coffee.

I normally do not drink it, very rarely I do. Am I imagining this or it may really have a more calming effect on me? :confused:

This defies my logic. :confused: Maybe it is a coincidence, I was really exhausted. Or it works.

It may work. My dh doesn't drink coffee because he says it puts him to sleep.

I really hate beer, though. :glare: And alcohol, if anything, wakes me up too, LOL.

Small doses of alcohol relax inhibitions. A small amount of alcohol makes me bouncy. If I'm at home, I enthusiastically clean and declutter. DH thinks it is hilarious.

Larger amounts of alcohol DO make me sleepy...but they also make me have strange dreams, and I feel awful the next morning. So I can't recommend alcohol.

My vote is for the Epsom salts bath. Also, no screen time after dinner, including WTM.

I used to be able to drink coffee late and night and go right to sleep. That was before insomnia.

Now it requires 2 benadryl and a glass of wine, not every night.

Also Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is my trick to shut off my busy mind. I listen to it when I write and it quiets my subconscious. I occasionally play it at bedtime with the sleep timer. I've tried other classical music, but the Moonlight Sonata is the only that works.

Listening to Jim Dale read the Harry Potter Books. I have all 7 books on CD. I have listened to them so many times the CDs wore out and I had to put them on my MP3. I listen to these at night (every night) and his voice puts me to sleep.

DH jokes that he is the only person in his department who has all 7 HP books memorized.

:iagree:this and nature shows. Turn the volume down to barely audible turn on the subtitles, set the tv to turn itself off and then lay so that to read you have to look downward... my tv is near the foot of my bed.

This seems to help relax the eyelids, calm the body and I am not woken by the tv being on.

My dh is gone now too... had a terrible time sleeping last night... had to keep my mind busy, but not on what I was thinking about, thinking about something completely NOT emotional.

I used to be able to drink coffee late and night and go right to sleep. That was before insomnia.

Now it requires 2 benadryl and a glass of wine, not every night.

Also Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is my trick to shut off my busy mind. I listen to it when I write and it quiets my subconscious. I occasionally play it at bedtime with the sleep timer. I've tried other classical music, but the Moonlight Sonata is the only that works.

Surely just the first movement? I can't imagine the third movement calming anything!

I'm kind of surprised no one has recommended listening to a lecture or a sermon, either right out loud or via earbuds. Nothing puts me to sleep like listening to a sermon or a lecture. Find one from a speaker with a really drone-y voice, and record it in a loop, so you won't exactly know when it's over or how long you've been listening. Then listen to it.

Here's what I've done in the past and it typically works well for me (espeically when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.)

Pretend you've won the lottery - of what, 200 million? Make up a fun number.

Decide to take the lump sum which would leave you with maybe 100 million.

Take out money for taxes.

Do you give regularly to your church? subtract 10% or whatever.

Trust fund for the kids?

How much do you want to fork over to extended family members? Subtract that.

Any other institutions/churches/charities you want to contribute to? List them in your head and how much you want to give each.

Buy a gorgeous acreage in Wyoming or Montana or wherever. Subtract that, plus invest some money at 10% to pay property taxes.

Build a house. Does it need heated floors in the bathroom? A treehouse playroom? Double washer and dryer?

Buy a car.

Buy a boat?

Plan a trip around the world?

You get the picture. Just keep subtracting and keeping a mental tally of how much you have left.

(I've never "spent" all of it ;))

Edited by Susan in TN