Menu

Audiobooks for very sensitive children

My 7 year old has some pretty intense anxiety and fears (monsters, tornadoes, etc.). She really loves audiobooks and is currently obsessed with the Just So Stories read by Boris Karloff. She wants more but some are just too intense. She's somehow ok with Harry Potter but NOT ok with the James Herriott Treasury because of a story of a Mama cat dying. So nothing with animals (especially cats) dying, if possible. We're reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books aloud right now and she's ok with them.

I was thinking of the Roald Dahl books read by the author because she loves his books, but I have not read all of them, so I'm unsure how intense they might be.

TIA!

My 6.5yo cannot hack Roald Dahl in any way, shape or form. I had to take The Minpins back to the library in a big manila envelope and he insisted that I hide Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the bottom of a box.

The Stephen Fry/Judi Dench et al unabridged recordings of Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner are wonderful. No dead animals. My boys have been listening to them obsessively for ages and we all have large chunks memorized by now.

Edited by JennyD

Have you tried Thornton Burgess? I'm not sure they are available as a true audio book though - I got them free on my kindle and use the text-to-speech option to read it out loud.

There are some available for free download if you search online. The only animals that die during his green forest series are chickens, fish, and various small animals (flies, grubs, insects, ...)

If you tell me which titles you can find I can tell you if there is anything you should be concerned about.

If you're reading the Little House books, just a heads-up...Jack the dog dies in "By the Shores of Silver Lake". I am not sensitive...don't cry when reading, but THAT chapter made me bawl as a kid. I loved Jack. So you might want to skip that book...for now.

My kids aren't sensitive either, but *I* would never read that particular Little House book aloud. They had to read it themselves. They rolled their eyes and me...but I wasn't giving in. I am only going to go through Jack's death ONCE in my lifetime. :D

Have you tried Thornton Burgess? I'm not sure they are available as a true audio book though - I got them free on my kindle and use the text-to-speech option to read it out loud.

I got this free somehwere, not sure where. One of those sites with lots of old classic books. What about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books? I haven't listened to them, but my kids request them over and over. Maybe someone else can help, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing sad in them....?

Alice in Wonderland?

What about some of the Classical Kids CDs? There are 4-6 of them and each focuses on a composer, but in a story for kids and then music is there, too. I don't REMEMBER anything sad/bad in them...

These are great literature or anything, but Magic Treehouse?

What about some books by Beverly Cleary, like Ramona the Pest?

My kids loved this audio book - The City Under the Back Steps by Evelyn Sibley. It's about 2 cousins who shrink down to ant size and have to live with a colony of ants until they can figure out how to become human-sized again. Nice story - nothing scary or supernatural or disturbing.

Caitilin -Jenning's Diary sounds like a good one - we'll have to look for it!

eta - have you tried any of Jim Weiss's storytelling cds?

They're all very good - I think you can buy most of them from SWB's store, Chinaberry (where I linked the ant book), or straight from his own website - greathall productions.

Edited by Mothersweets

Lots of good books here! I'm going to keep ILL busy for awhile! :lol:

We have tons of Jim Weiss and Classical Kids CDs and I think she's a little worn out by them. I will say *so far* 5 Little Peppers and How They Grew is ok-a little intense at times, but so far so good (we're reading it aloud).

I guess I could read some books and record myself reading them for her, too. I hear GarageBand works for this on Macs. But that way I can leave off very sensitive parts for her, too. I hate to censor, but she is such an insomniac and so sensitive. :(

If you're reading the Little House books, just a heads-up...Jack the dog dies in "By the Shores of Silver Lake". I am not sensitive...don't cry when reading, but THAT chapter made me bawl as a kid. I loved Jack. So you might want to skip that book...for now.

My kids aren't sensitive either, but *I* would never read that particular Little House book aloud. They had to read it themselves. They rolled their eyes and me...but I wasn't giving in. I am only going to go through Jack's death ONCE in my lifetime. :D

:lol:I will skip that one! I always bawl like a baby when a pet dies in a book. I was a wreck when I read HP 7!!!

Lets see. We have Curious George, Frog and Toad, Mouse Tales, and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. (They all still love this silly book even though they are older) We also have some poetry like Robert Frost that they love and we have borrowed some books from the library. Ramona books as well as Narnia have been big hits.

What about the Ramona and Henry Huggins books?

:iagree: These are great, except for the ones read by that woman who pauses after every sentence. snooze. Didn't bother my 7yo, though. She also loved Socks by Cleary and Because of Winn Dixie by DiCamillo (which is read by the same narrator as the Little House books).

The "Betsy" books by Carolyn Haywood. Sweet and fun. I loved them as a kid.

"Mrs. Piggle Wiggle" By Betsy MacDonald (I think)

The "Betsy-Tacy" series by Maud Hart Lovelace. Books 1-3 in the series would probably be great for her age.

And I swear I wasn't going for "Betsy" themed books. :lol:

The "Betsy" books by Carolyn Haywood. Sweet and fun. I loved them as a kid.

"Mrs. Piggle Wiggle" By Betsy MacDonald (I think)

The "Betsy-Tacy" series by Maud Hart Lovelace. Books 1-3 in the series would probably be great for her age.

And I swear I wasn't going for "Betsy" themed books. :lol:

:lol: Thanks, everyone. I requested and bought a bunch for her. :) Hopefully that helps with the nighttime fears.

:iagree: These are great, except for the ones read by that woman who pauses after every sentence. snooze. Didn't bother my 7yo, though. She also loved Socks by Cleary and Because of Winn Dixie by DiCamillo (which is read by the same narrator as the Little House books).

Oh, yeah, that lady was soooo slooooow! It didn't bother my kids, either, though. I really liked the Henry Huggins one that was read by Doogie Howser/Barney- his name is totally slipping my mind!