Menu

Dog lovers, I am so ashamed and need help.

we have a large, mixed breed dog age 7 and 1/2 yo.

our vet (personal friend) moved out of state last summer-our dog was due for her shots and a checkup the spring before-i had no idea vet was moving as it was a last minute decision.

i only went to the clinic where the vet worked because of him. the clinic is over-priced and i don't care for any of the other vets there.

now...

dog is now waaaay past due for shots,

something is wrong with her leg/hips; she can walk and even run, but when she goes to get up, she limps and wobbles a little.:sad:

her teeth are in bad shape-all dark on the gums, etc..:sad:

she needs to be groomed, but can't go to her usual groomer w/o current shots. even though she is walked 4-5 times a week, her nails need to be clipped.

i truly feel so badly about this neglect as does dh, however, we can't afford to pay for all that she needs right now. our old vet used to allow payment arrangements, but now that he's gone, the new clinic won't allow it, even if i wanted to stay there.

i could use some direction.

thx:o

I am not sure where you live, but our local PETCO store has shot clinics throughout the year. It is less expensive than the vet. Our county also offers low cost rabies vaccinations. With both options, you go and stand in line and wait your turn, but it is cheaper. I also have read about low cost vaccinations and spay/neuter programs in our area that someone had listed on our local craigslist pet section.

Can you call around to other vet clinics and ask about payment options? Space out the vaccinations and do the most important first?

Here in NJ there's an organization called "People for Animals" that does extremely low cost pet care. If you google "low cost pet clinic" and your local metro area, you'll probably come up with something similar.

Good luck; we forgo a lot of the peripheral shots and tests (i.e. we don't vaccinate against bortadella since our dogs aren't exposed to other dogs). For our cats we do rabies only.

Every year our township has a rabies clinic that's free and we take full advantage of that as well.

Obviously living this way, we run the risk of something going wrong so we keep our eyes open for symptoms and do the best we can...

Whatever condition your dog's teeth/shots/etc are in, I'm sure the vet's seen worse. You can always say you've been going through a rough patch lately and leave it at that. I doubt a vet is going to pass judgment or scold you!

Good luck, and if you can help it, don't procrastinate if the pup's in discomfort.

Just in case you don't know...yearly shots are rarely a necessity. We are registered breeders, and our dogs haven't had shots past the puppy ones. Each year, however, they have a blood titre test to show the current levels of antibodies in their systems. Our dogs are 6 and 4, and their antibodies each year have been high. It is recommended when they drop past a certain level that they have a booster shot then. Our vet (Natural Veterinarian, obviously) says that it's not unusual for a dog never to need another vacc. in his life after the initial puppy ones. But of course, we don't leave that to chance, we do the yearly testing, which is the same price as a vacc. I realize that if funds are tight, that's not the way you'd go right now, but just putting it out there that it's probably quite possible that he is not in danger from not having his vaccination. :001_smile:

I don't know what type of trouble with her teeth you mean, but black pigmentation on the gums is quite normal. The gums should be soft, and her breath should not smell foul. It's also normal for the teeth to darken from white as they get older. If she has yellow or white plaque on her teeth, daily raw meaty bones would help to clean her teeth more than a toothbrush would, but they won't improve them if they're rotting obviously.

Does she really need the groomer? Can you not do what needs to be done at home? I can understand the groomer having to be let go when funds are tight. I know dogs and clipping nails are a bad mix, but perhaps you could buy a cheap dog nail clipper, and do one each day, either when she is asleep, or with some yummy treat to munch on while you do it. If they are quite long, you may need to just take a bit off, then after you've done them all (3 weeks later, if you're doing one a day), you can take some more off them on another round. This will give the fleshy part inside a chance to retract after the first clipping. Google/Youtube will give you some tips I'm sure, if you need some help figuring out how & where to cut.

As far as your dog's limp, I'd be inclined to try cod liver oil, a fish oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar. Break a capsule of each oil into her food each day, and put a couple of tablespoons of ACV in her water bowl whenever you refresh it. If after a few weeks you don't notice improvement, maybe the vet visit is necessary.

Sorry you are going through this worry right now, but I encourage you to try the above. I'm sure you'll save some money and have a healthy happy dog for years to come!:D

Edited by Isabella

Just in case you don't know...yearly shots are rarely a necessity. We are registered breeders, and our dogs haven't had shots past the puppy ones. Each year, however, they have a blood titre test to show the current levels of antibodies in their systems. Our dogs are 6 and 4, and their antibodies each year have been high. It is recommended when they drop past a certain level that they have a booster shot then. Our vet (Natural Veterinarian, obviously) says that it's not unusual for a dog never to need another vacc. in his life after the initial puppy ones. But of course, we don't leave that to chance, we do the yearly testing, which is the same price as a vacc. I realize that if funds are tight, that's not the way you'd go right now, but just putting it out there that it's probably quite possible that he is not in danger from not having his vaccination. :001_smile:

I don't know what type of trouble with her teeth you mean, but black pigmentation on the gums is quite normal. The gums should be soft, and her breath should not smell foul. It's also normal for the teeth to darken from white as they get older. If she has yellow or white plaque on her teeth, daily raw meaty bones would help to clean her teeth more than a toothbrush would, but they won't improve them if they're rotting obviously.

Does she really need the groomer? Can you not do what needs to be done at home? I can understand the groomer having to be let go when funds are tight. I know dogs and clipping nails are a bad mix, but perhaps you could buy a cheap dog nail clipper, and do one each day, either when she is asleep, or with some yummy treat to munch on while you do it. If they are quite long, you may need to just take a bit off, then after you've done them all (3 weeks later, if you're doing one a day), you can take some more off them on another round. This will give the fleshy part inside a chance to retract after the first clipping. Google/Youtube will give you some tips I'm sure, if you need some help figuring out how & where to cut.

As far as your dog's limp, I'd be inclined to try cod liver oil, a fish oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar. Break a capsule of each oil into her food each day, and put a couple of tablespoons of ACV in her water bowl whenever you refresh it. If after a few weeks you don't notice improvement, maybe the vet visit is necessary.

Sorry you are going through this worry right now, but I encourage you to try the above. I'm sure you'll save some money and have a healthy happy dog for years to come!:D

Thank you for your post! I'm not the OP, but we adopted a puppy 2 months ago, and this was helpful to me. She's still getting her puppy vaccinations (one more round tomorrow), and will get microchipped with an ISO chip and then get her rabies shot. I appreciated the vaccine blood test info and also the ACV...I thought that was for digestion? Is it helpful for tired or achy muscles (or bones) too?

We feed our puppy and our cat a natural, grain-free, high-protein food, which they both seem to thrive on. I also give my puppy coconut oil a few times a week to help with her dry skin (we live in the desert, so we all have dry skin this time of year!). Any other natural tips? We eat a paleo diet, and I'd give my dog the bones for marrow if I wasn't eating the marrow myself... :D

I use Luv My Pet clinics for shots. They are great and very affordable. Then for anything else, we go to a vet for. Ours can even give out reasonable vet recs. Can you call around and ask prices?

http://www.luvmypet.com/

no luck. thx!:grouphug:

I am not sure where you live, but our local PETCO store has shot clinics throughout the year. It is less expensive than the vet. Our county also offers low cost rabies vaccinations. With both options, you go and stand in line and wait your turn, but it is cheaper. I also have read about low cost vaccinations and spay/neuter programs in our area that someone had listed on our local craigslist pet section.

Can you call around to other vet clinics and ask about payment options? Space out the vaccinations and do the most important first?

bingo! she has food allergies, so i've always stayed away from there. but i will stand in line next monday and she'll also get a complete checkup.

thx so much!!:grouphug: i'll had no idea about the shots, teeth or gums!:tongue_smilie:

i made her bleed one time trying to clip her nails and she still remembers.;) she has a lot dandruff and LOTS of fur. she spreads her love quite well!!:D

are the omegas for inflammation? also, where would i find a "meaty bone?":D

Thank you for your post! I'm not the OP, but we adopted a puppy 2 months ago, and this was helpful to me. She's still getting her puppy vaccinations (one more round tomorrow), and will get microchipped with an ISO chip and then get her rabies shot. I appreciated the vaccine blood test info and also the ACV...I thought that was for digestion? Is it helpful for tired or achy muscles (or bones) too?

We feed our puppy and our cat a natural, grain-free, high-protein food, which they both seem to thrive on. I also give my puppy coconut oil a few times a week to help with her dry skin (we live in the desert, so we all have dry skin this time of year!). Any other natural tips? We eat a paleo diet, and I'd give my dog the bones for marrow if I wasn't eating the marrow myself... :D

You're welcome... The ACV is really to alkalize the body. Arthritis-type conditions are exacerbated by an overly acid system. The ACV, although acid outside the body, promotes an alkalyzing effect in the body. This will help creaky, arthritic joints. The oils will also help with the lubricating effect. Castor oil rubbed externally on the sore joints will help, too.

Even if you eat a Paleo diet (& I commend you for this!!:D) your puppy should be able to have access to raw bones. It's not so much for the marrow - we rarely give marrow bones to the dogs - but the other minerals that are so essential to dogs. The action of chewing releases endorphins in the dog, so it's almost essential for their mental wellbeing, as well as physical. Have you ever seen a dog that was not rolling their eyes in bliss as they munched on their bone!! :lol: Of course, I'm sure I don't need to say too, that a dog should NEVER have cooked bone. The molecular structure changes with cooking, and their stomach acids don't dissolve cooked bone as easily as raw. A dog's digestion was designed to subsist on offal, meat, bone, skin/feathers, and vegetation. Of course we can't all replicate that diet, but we can give them most of it. A raw all natural diet for a dog is the kindest thing one can do for them, and the thing that will keep them the healthiest they can be.

I guess that there's not many tips I can give you off the top of my head - oh, one comes to mind....before giving your puppy vaccinations give them a good dose of Vitamin C (the good quality kind, not chewable orange flavoured) the day before and several days afterwards. Vaccinations put the body under a lot of stress, and quite often allergic flare-ups/itchiness will happen soon after vaccinations. The Vit C will boost the body's immunity, and ability to heal.

My vet (Clare Middle, in Western Australia) has written a gem of a book the natural care and feeding of dogs and cats. I have lent it out to someone at present, so can't even give you the exact title, but if you google her name you should find her website from which she sells the book, and also has other informative articles.

HTH.

thx so much!!:grouphug: i'll had no idea about the shots, teeth or gums!:tongue_smilie:

i made her bleed one time trying to clip her nails and she still remembers.;) she has a lot dandruff and LOTS of fur. she spreads her love quite well!!:D

are the omegas for inflammation? also, where would i find a "meaty bone?":D

The oils and ACV should help the dandruff, too. She'll remember the nail thing, but one a day should be do-able, and possibly restore her faith in you!!

:lol:.

Yes, the oils will definitely help with inflammation, and a raw diet will also certainly help. The raw diet will be also certain to help with her allergies.

Butchers usually sell packs of dog bones with meat still on them. Also your local supermarket should sell them too. You may need to ask to find where they are. If you can get liver/kidneys/heart cheap, she will love those too. And chicken necks or frames (the carcase with the fillets taken off) are cheap and usually readily available. Most people would use them for soup or stocks. You may just need to ask if you don't see them at first glance. If she is an allergy prone dog, beef would be a meat to minimize, or cut out completely if she flares up on it. You can blend up any veges from your fridge that are past their best if you have a weekly clean out. Add a bit of water to the veges, and a few eggs, and pour it over her food.

For my big girl (40kg) I give about 1kg of raw meat/bones a day, which works out to about $3. She has one or two fasting days per week, too, which is replicating nature, where they have a feast/famine type of existence, and for which they are designed. Their liver works optimally when it can have a fast, apparently! But I can understand that most people feel too bad to do this!:001_smile:

HTH

:iagree: Also, we haven't had a dog for a few years, but I'm sure that the vet said that anymore they only need rabies shots every 2-3 years. Look it up or ask your vet. We did titre tests otherwise. I'd be inclined to deal with the teeth and the limp before the shots. And maybe the vet would clip nails for you? Wonder if that would be more expensive than the groomer. Because I'd think you could do the rest of the grooming yourself.

You can get beef shank bones from the grocery store. Ask your butcher. They are either cheap or free. Also, we have a place that is a horse and dog supply store that sells boxes of frozen bones for dogs. Get the raw bones, rather than those smoked bones (plus they STINK!).