Menu

Vets? Question re:feline renal failure

One of my cats was diagnosed with renal failure several months back. He's a 13 year-old indoor cat. We've been giving him sub-cutaneous fluids (150 mL, if I'm doing the math right) each day as well as medication for high blood pressure. We were told that his kidneys were functioning at either 27% or 22% capacity (I don't recall the exact number). When he was diagnosed, he was down to 9.4 lbs from 13 lbs at his appointment from less than a year before. We managed to bring him back up to 10lbs for his recheck 3 weeks later. We check his weight daily after giving him fluids. In the last 2 weeks he has dropped from 10lbs down to 9.4 lbs (some fluctuation, but right around there most days) last week, to 8.8 lbs last night. I weighed him 3 different times and moved the scale to different locations just in case it was off, but I got the same reading on him every time.

I don't know what to do. I'm reluctant to take him back to the vet due to finances. I know that's a cruddy reason, but it cost us close to $800 when he was diagnosed with his hospitalization, the tests, the initial medication, etc., and another $100 or so at his recheck appointment. The fluids, drips, needles, and blood pressure meds are costing us another $60+/month, and I know he has another recheck coming up sometime soon -- they're supposed to send me a card when it comes time to schedule it. We also had our puppy go after our other cat and break his tail requiring a $400 amputation the same week Rocko was diagnosed with renal failure, and our older dog go in to have a hotspot diagnosed and taken care of for another $100-$200 a week after that. I'm not trying to be cheap or shirk my responsibility as a pet owner because I take that very seriously, but we've spent A LOT of money in the past several months on animal care. If the vet decides to hospitalize Rocko for another several days and conduct even more tests, that will probably come out to another $300-$500 bill, and we truly can't afford that right now.

What can I do with him at home beyond what I'm doing? He doesn't appear dehydrated (I pinch his skin like the vet taught me and it immediately goes back into place) and he is eating, though it's difficult to monitor how much (we free-feed dry food and have 3 cats -- he won't eat wet). Can I give him more fluids, or give him fluids 2X/day instead of once?

I know our vet said that he will eventually die from this, but that it's not a painful condition and he's not suffering. I'd rather have him die at home than die hooked up to a bunch of stuff at the animal hospital. If there's nothing more I can do for him, is it cruel to let him wither away like this and die at home, or is that the right decision? He's a sweet, happy, affectionate cat and I know my vet will want to try anything to save him and prolong his life, but I don't know if financially and ethically that's the right choice.

TIA for any help/advice you can offer me!

If the vet decides to hospitalize Rocko for another several days and conduct even more tests, that will probably come out to another $300-$500 bill, and we truly can't afford that right now.

Your vet will not decide to hospitalize Rocko -- he or she might recommend it, but ultimately YOU decide. I would ask your vet if there is anything you haven't tried short of another hospitalization. Be upfront that finances are a concern. It may be worth doing a urine culture, for example, in case there is a bacterial infection.

Chronic renal failure is not painful in the early and mid stages, but the end stage is unpleasant. I would personally spare my pet the discomfort and euthanize when there is persistent lack of appetite or vomiting, or other evidence of discomfort.

:grouphug: Chronic diseases are tricky to navigate and often murky.

Your vet will not decide to hospitalize Rocko -- he or she might recommend it, but ultimately YOU decide. I would ask your vet if there is anything you haven't tried short of another hospitalization. Be upfront that finances are a concern. It may be worth doing a urine culture, for example, in case there is a bacterial infection.

Chronic renal failure is not painful in the early and mid stages, but the end stage is unpleasant. I would personally spare my pet the discomfort and euthanize when there is persistent lack of appetite or vomiting, or other evidence of discomfort.

:grouphug: Chronic diseases are tricky to navigate and often murky.

Thank you. I know I CAN say no, but I'm not very good at it, and I'm easily swayed when it comes to my pets. All the vet has to do is make me feel the slightest bit of guilt, even if it's not intentional on her part. It would be likely that if I called and told the vet everything I said here, and she told me the only thing we could do is bring him in for tests, I'd cave and be another $300-$500 in the hole. Calling tomorrow looks like it might be my only option. She didn't tell me he'd be in pain at the end -- I was under the impression he would be a pain-free throughout. Thank you for cluing me in. If it comes down to him going out in pain, we'd definitely euthanize him instead.

I had a cat with the same problem and I did the fluids etc. She got to the point that she was peeing outside the box and wouldn't let me do the fluids any more. Then I knew it was time to put her down. Our other cat had renal failure, but the fluids weren't even an option for him unless I was willing to get bitten. We did everything else we could, but he weighed next to nothing and it was obvious that he was in pain. After another several day stay at the vet (I had said I couldn't pay hundreds of dollars, but the bill was still $400), he died at home less than 12 hours after bringing him home. If I had it to do over again, I would have brought him in to be euthanized instead of seeing what might be done for him, but dh was not ready. Poor Horace would have suffered less and I would have that $400.

I think you will know when it is time. I am really sorry you are going through this.

I lost my best bud ,Rocky, to renal failure 4 years ago. He had 4 years before we had to start giving him fluids and then he only lasted 4 months on the fluids. He went from 10 pounds down to 6. One day, I went in and found dd, age 12 at the time, crying and sitting with about 8 to 10 open cans of various cat foods, baby food, tuna, etc trying to get Rocky to eat and he would not eat and then he collapsed and started breathing hard is the day we decided to have him put to sleep. It was the hardest thing ever to do but by then he was suffering. Our vet said to my dh, that it would have probably been better if we had made the decision sooner but I was not ready but as soon as I saw my bud suffering, I made the decision.

Thank you. I know I CAN say no, but I'm not very good at it, and I'm easily swayed when it comes to my pets. All the vet has to do is make me feel the slightest bit of guilt, even if it's not intentional on her part. It would be likely that if I called and told the vet everything I said here, and she told me the only thing we could do is bring him in for tests, I'd cave and be another $300-$500 in the hole. Calling tomorrow looks like it might be my only option. She didn't tell me he'd be in pain at the end -- I was under the impression he would be a pain-free throughout. Thank you for cluing me in. If it comes down to him going out in pain, we'd definitely euthanize him instead.

It's not so much pain as it is suffering...they get stomach upset, and are being poisoned by their own blood so feel icky and awful. It's miserable, and when they stop eating it is time to euthanize, in my opinion.

It's not so much pain as it is suffering...they get stomach upset, and are being poisoned by their own blood so feel icky and awful. It's miserable, and when they stop eating it is time to euthanize, in my opinion.

Right now he's still eating, but it's hard to gauge how much. He'll usually eat a couple of bites at least if I put him in front of the bowl. He's also taking his "treat" (a pill-pocket with his high blood pressure med stuffed inside). When we first brought him home from his long stay at the vet he wasn't doing that and we had to force-feed it to him. I don't think he's eating a whole lot, but I do see him munching here and there throughout the day.

I lost my best bud ,Rocky, to renal failure 4 years ago. He had 4 years before we had to start giving him fluids and then he only lasted 4 months on the fluids. He went from 10 pounds down to 6. One day, I went in and found dd, age 12 at the time, crying and sitting with about 8 to 10 open cans of various cat foods, baby food, tuna, etc trying to get Rocky to eat and he would not eat and then he collapsed and started breathing hard is the day we decided to have him put to sleep. It was the hardest thing ever to do but by then he was suffering. Our vet said to my dh, that it would have probably been better if we had made the decision sooner but I was not ready but as soon as I saw my bud suffering, I made the decision.

That part about your dd made me cry. How incredibly sad! I was like that this spring right before we had to put one of our dogs down. He was my baby and he wouldn't eat. I was cooking for him, buying him baby food, and literally sitting there with 4 or 5 different types of food trying to spoon-feed him. I understand the frustration and hopelessness your dd felt at that moment. I can imagine how gut-wrenching it was for you to see that in your child. :grouphug: