Menu

MCT LA-multiple questions\observations inside.

Catherine

I've spent the morning reading old threads on MCT LA and am thinking of making a purchase. I'd love some input from those with experience. First, and intro to my student: 10 1\2 yo fifth grader-very bright but with some learning issues-poor working memory and slow processing. Meaning, we are near the middle of WWE 3, working through Rod and Staff 5 (mostly only grammar) I am looking for a supplement that will hold his interest and particularly, help his writing.

OK\advisable to start with Island practice book, Music of the Spheres, Paragraph Town, CE1? He's finishing Getting Started with Latin this week and starting LP 1.

Are the TMs alone enough for each of these? I'm willing to write stuff out, within reason.

Did MCT look great, but fail, for any of you? Particularly, for the child with challenges. I might describe my ds as understanding algebra, fractions and decimals intuitively, but still struggling to keep straight if subtraction means "going up" or "going down." That kind of kid. :001_huh: As he grows older, and the pieces are falling into place, the challenges are shrinking and his intellect is starting to matter more in my teaching choices.

And Sharon in Austin, did you ever find the grammar program of your dreams? I pored over your thread and it was very helpful!!

OK\advisable to start with Island practice book, Music of the Spheres, Paragraph Town, CE1?

Why would you mix & match books from the "island" and "town" levels? :confused:

I love MCT, but the writing portion of Paragraph Town assumes a certain level of familiarity with writing conventions. You have to keep in mind that MCT designed his program for a PS audience so it's not as complete as HS writing programs are.

In your situation, the writing I would actually recommend is EPS' The Paragraph Book series. My DD did that before starting MCT's Paragraph Town and I'm so glad that she did. I'm planning to have my younger children do it as well.

And Sharon in Austin, did you ever find the grammar program of your dreams? I pored over your thread and it was very helpful!!

Thread? What thread? :D

No, but dh and I are haphazardly putting one together. I'm also piggy-backing our English grammar off our Latin program, Artes Latinae, which uses a structural grammar approach to teach Latin.

Please, tell me why this wouldn't work. I don't know enough about the program to understand.

MCT is an integrated program, where each book in a given level refers to things covered in the other books in that level. So you would pick either the "island" or the "town" level to do just like if you were doing a math program that had different components you would get all the same grade level.

I've spent the morning reading old threads on MCT LA and am thinking of making a purchase. I'd love some input from those with experience. First, and intro to my student: 10 1\2 yo fifth grader-very bright but with some learning issues-poor working memory and slow processing. Meaning, we are near the middle of WWE 3, working through Rod and Staff 5 (mostly only grammar) I am looking for a supplement that will hold his interest and particularly, help his writing.

OK\advisable to start with Island practice book, Music of the Spheres, Paragraph Town, CE1? He's finishing Getting Started with Latin this week and starting LP 1.

Are the TMs alone enough for each of these? I'm willing to write stuff out, within reason.

Did MCT look great, but fail, for any of you? Particularly, for the child with challenges. I might describe my ds as understanding algebra, fractions and decimals intuitively, but still struggling to keep straight if subtraction means "going up" or "going down." That kind of kid. :001_huh: As he grows older, and the pieces are falling into place, the challenges are shrinking and his intellect is starting to matter more in my teaching choices.

Your 10 1/2 year old son sounds exactly like my 10 1/2 year old son. He "intuitively" understands complex math but is unable to remember what 4X4 is. He loves MCT Grammar Island. I really didn't think it would work any better for him then anything else I had tried but we have a definate success. He even understands and remembers direct object and indirect object! We started with Grammar Island because I have 3rd grader as well. I'm glad we did. It is a gentle introduction to grammar. We only purchased the TE and it has worked out fine so far. I don't plan on doing Hemispheres or the Island vocab. level. I think I will purchase Caesars English next year though. With the practice student book it is a good price but you could do with out it as well.