Menu

If you self-identify as a Christian, is using an X for Christ (e.g., Xmas) offensive?

Is using an "X" in place of the word "Christ" offensive to you?  

1. 1. Is using an "X" in place of the word "Christ" offensive to you?

• Yes, I call myself a Christian and "X-ianity" is offensive to me.
    • No, I call myself a Christian and "X-ianity" is not offensive to me.

Please only vote if you self-identify as a Christian if you don't mind. It was stated in another thread that "most" Christians find X-mas X-ianity offenisve -- that it "takes the Christ out" of the words, and is "atheistic." Others commented that it's not offensive to them, as Christians, because the "X" means "Christ." So, how do you vote? I know how I feel, and I know how I think the poll will turn out -- but I'm interested to see actual results.

Feel free to comment with "other" thoughts, but for the sake trying to see if the statement "most Christians find this offensive," I'm only including Yes and No for replies. Thanks!

Edited by milovaný

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't bother me at all. I assume a poll is coming still, so I will vote in that when I see it.

ETA: I may have just voted wrong. I chose, voted, then realized I may or may not have clicked the wrong one. I can't remember. Oh well. For some reason X-mas doesn't bother me at all, but xtian rubs me a little the wrong way. Not enough to offend me, but enough that I notice it.

Edited by tntgoodwin

X is the Latin letter for Christ. So, not at all offensive to me.

Would'nt that be the Greek letter? Chi X?

Wouldn't Latin be J (or I)?

In any case, it does not offend me, because I see the X as standing for Christ/

Edited by Lawana
Didn't finish

My MIL is a hardcore Catholic. She uses this abbreviation, and doesn't feel the need to attend Reconciliation afterwards FWIW ;) :D

However her considerably-less-hardcore daughter finds it "tacky" (her words). She isn't offended, she just doesn't care for it and won't use it herself.

I know this because it came up just last month! (I didn't vote, just butting in an opinion LOL.)

To be honest, I think X as an abbreviation for the name of Christ has been around a long time, and was actually meant to show respect not disrespect. As others have pointed out, it is the first initial of the name Christ in Greek. I personally suspect it was used in place of the name out of a desire not to overuse/take the name of God in vain.

Most people don't understand it's derivation, which is probably why some would take offense.

--Sarah

Please only vote if you self-identify as a Christian if you don't mind. It was stated in another thread that "most" Christians find X-mas X-ianity offenisve -- that it "takes the Christ out" of the words, and is "atheistic." Others commented that it's not offensive to them, as Christians, because the "X" means "Christ." So, how do you vote? I know how I feel, and I know how I think the poll will turn out -- but I'm interested to see actual results.

Feel free to comment with "other" thoughts, but for the sake trying to see if the statement "most Christians find this offensive," I'm only including Yes and No for replies. Thanks!

It used to offend me until I learned, while homeschooling ;), that "X" means Christ. I didn't know that before.:001_huh:

I know that X can symbolize Christ.

However, most of the people I have seen say 'xmas' accompany it with an eyeroll referring to Christmas as offensive. That usage is insulting, and I am offended by it.

You know, I can understand that. I guess I choose to look at people like that as appropriating something about which they have no understanding and using it in an ignorant way. So, I choose to pity that ignorance. :)

However, most of the people I have seen say 'xmas' accompany it with an eyeroll referring to Christmas as offensive. That usage is insulting, and I am offended by it.

:iagree: The poll is difficult for me to answer as written, because it would depend on the context.

ETA: For instance, if I knew the people in question were in the habit of using other terms to avoid saying the name of Jesus Christ (e.g. "Jebus" or "Yoshke"), or otherwise behaved mockingly toward matters important to our faith, then I would tend to find their use of "X-ianity" offensive, too. Because it would seem that they're using this (rather obscure) term as a loophole to avoid saying the word we normally use, IYKWIM.

Edited by Eleanor

Actually I don't get this. Wouldn't it be just as easy to argue that it is good for those who are offended by Christ to drop the usage of Christ in words such as Christmas? At least they aren't breaking the 4th Commandment by using the name in vain.

I sometimes feel like its danged if ya do and danged if ya don't. A nonchristian offends folks if they use Jesus' name and they offend folks if they don't.

I'd love for people to treat Christ's name with respect. I'd love for Christians to realize that it is much more of a violation of the 4th commandment to slap the title Christian on a health,wealth, and prosperity book than it is to write xian in a tweet.

Actually I don't get this. Wouldn't it be just as easy to argue that it is good for those who are offended by Christ to drop the usage of Christ in words such as Christmas? At least they aren't breaking the 4th Commandment by using the name in vain.

I sometimes feel like its danged if ya do and danged if ya don't. A nonchristian offends folks if they use Jesus' name and they offend folks if they don't.

I'd love for people to treat Christ's name with respect. I'd love for Christians to realize that it is much more of a violation of the 4th commandment to slap the title Christian on a health,wealth, and prosperity book than it is to write xian in a tweet.

It bothers me when people mock my Faith, particularly in a school setting that is supposed to be inclusive and nonsectarian. I would rather that they didn't refer to Christmas at all than mock it, and I have so often heard the word xmas as part of that mockery that it offends me.

I also think that slapping the Christian title on prosperity gospel books to make them sell is pretty disgusting--have to agree with you there!

It bothers me when people mock my Faith, particularly in a school setting that is supposed to be inclusive and nonsectarian. I would rather that they didn't refer to Christmas at all than mock it, and I have so often heard the word xmas as part of that mockery that it offends me.

I also think that slapping the Christian title on prosperity gospel books to make them sell is pretty disgusting--have to agree with you there!

And I understand how frustrating it can be to have your faith mocked. ;) That gets very old.

For some reason X-mas doesn't bother me at all, but xtian rubs me a little the wrong way. Not enough to offend me, but enough that I notice it.

:iagree:

I don't mind Xmas and use it myself sometimes. To me, it's just an abbreviated way of writing Christmas, and I pronounce it Christmas just as I pronounce Mr as Mister.

Xtian bugs me a little bit, but only because I usually only see it used by folks who are antagonistic toward Christianity. So, it had negative connotations in my mind that Xmas does not. I am not offended by it, but it's not something I personally would use.

So I didn't answer the poll, because for me, the answer to the question in the post title is different than the answer to the poll.

:iagree:

I don't mind Xmas and use it myself sometimes. To me, it's just an abbreviated way of writing Christmas, and I pronounce it Christmas just as I pronounce Mr as Mister.

Xtian bugs me a little bit, but only because I usually only see it used by folks who are antagonistic toward Christianity. So, it had negative connotations in my mind that Xmas does not. I am not offended by it, but it's not something I personally would use.

So I didn't answer the poll, because for me, the answer to the question in the post title is different than the answer to the poll.

:iagree: Xmas is very common. X-ian is not. It seems to me that the use of "X-ian" usually has a reason behind it and most often that reason is antagonistic. Just my experience.

Christians make up 80% of the religious population in America according to the latest PEW report.

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

It's not nice to have your faith mocked. But when you're being mocked, it may be come consolation to remember that there are very few to actually mock you compared with the number of "you" being mocked. Approximately 80% to 20%, assuming all of those 20% are interested in mocking Christians.

Comments on the article:

“Put Christ back into Christmas†as a response to this substitution of the letter X for the name of Christ.
I never thought that it was in response to X-mas, but rather in response to so many celebrating the holiday in a completely secular way.

We don’t see people protesting the use of the Greek letter theta, which is an O with a line across the middle. We use that as a shorthand abbreviation for God because it is the first letter of the word Theos, the Greek word for God.

I am familiar with the Greek, but I have never seen/noticed this abbreviation for God.

I did not vote because I need an "other please explain" option. ;)

Here's the thing. I am a Christian, but I don't like the term x- anything in regards to it. Simply because I don't. BUT, I also have no issue with it in general knowing the greek word/letters history behind it. So, in essence they are not removing it but keeping it there. I am not, however, in the boat where I hate people who do so or scold those who do. I just smile and write it out myself in regards to cards, letters, words, etc. ;)

Still, I prefer to see it as a whole. After all I wouldn't want to be called an xian. That would just be weird, right? :lol:

I never knew the x was a symbol for Jesus. (Which makes me think of the artist formerly known as Prince, who is now known as Prince...but I digress.)

Xmas doesn't bother me too much. I thought people used it as a shorthand because they were too busy to write the whole word. I would shake my head at the crazy-busyness of people who couldn't take the time to write the whole word.

Xtian is another matter. I've only ever seen people use xtian who are very anti-Christian. It reminds me of Voldemort--He Who Must Not Be Named. As if Christ and Christians are so heinous that the word "Christ" can't even be seen in print.

I did not vote because I need an "other please explain" option. ;)

Here's the thing. I am a Christian, but I don't like the term x- anything in regards to it. Simply because I don't. BUT, I also have no issue with it in general knowing the greek word/letters history behind it. So, in essence they are not removing it but keeping it there. I am not, however, in the boat where I hate people who do so or scold those who do. I just smile and write it out myself in regards to cards, letters, words, etc. ;)

Still, I prefer to see it as a whole. After all I wouldn't want to be called an xian. That would just be weird, right? :lol:

See this is where this all came from another thread where people were posting Christians as X-tains and Christianity as X-tainity.

It really had nothing to do with Christmas (X-mas). Plus the Chi Rho is far from looking like the English letter X, and plus its been way over used by non Christians to actually mean taking Christ out of the picture that some do take offense to the X now.

So this poll really isn't answering the question.

Now if you polled : Do Christians' find the term X-tian and X-tianity offensive. Then you will get a WHOLE other answer.

Edited by TracyR

Comments on the article:I never thought that it was in response to X-mas, but rather in response to so many celebrating the holiday in a completely secular way.

I am familiar with the Greek, but I have never seen/noticed this abbreviation for God.

IIRC, I think that may have been the origins of the "Keep Christ in Christmas" but yes, it has definitely expanded to the way it is now.

Not offensive in the traditional sense. I do know people who do that to secularize it which does annoy me. I also have a problem with people insisting that it isn't taking Christ out, because, again, I know people who do.