Menu

Seton and non-Catholics plus reviews?

Does Seton accept non-Catholics for their distance school enrollment?

I have my 2 older ones (15 and 13) I am looking at doing so. Also, experiences with the school and curriculum? Please share!

Honestly, I think non-Catholics would find Seton's materials too "beat-the-student-over-the-head-with-Catholicism" for their liking. Frankly, I'm Catholic and I feel that way about Seton's workbooks. I do use some of them from time to time but it's like seasoning- good in small doses.

good to know. I am looking st their special services department for my oldest. I was under the impression they had a more balanced view in their materials. Is it mostly in the history and science you find this?

Anyone have another option for me, then? I have looked at K12 (too much $$$, don't like materials or delivery or attitudes). We want paper based.

Look at Kolbe. If you are looking for a Seton-like school with an official transcript, this is the way to go. Most of their materials are secular and you can switch out whatever you want (you can do your own religion or math or whatever). There won't be a crucifix in their math book. :D

In defense of Seton, most of the images in their textbooks are from great works of art... so it was like having an ongoing art history course rolled into whatever subject you were studying. My kids still recognize paintings that were in their various workbooks.

I wasn't crazy about the correspondence school (erratic grading, very little feedback, and-- IMO-- too much work) but I did like their printed materials/ curriculum.

In defense of Seton, most of the images in their textbooks are from great works of art... so it was like having an ongoing art history course rolled into whatever subject you were studying. My kids still recognize paintings that were in their various workbooks.

I wasn't crazy about the correspondence school (erratic grading, very little feedback, and-- IMO-- too much work) but I did like their printed materials/ curriculum.

I agree! I am Catholic though so I would love it, but I just didn't know if a non-Catholic would like it. Seton is rigorous and provides an excellent education!

I've used a few Seton things , and this was before we became Catholic. I think they have excellent materials. I do like the pictures because they are pictures of great works of art.

I haven't used the whole program so I can't comment on the whole beat-the-student over the head thing. But then just like those who are Protestant, who immerse their children into the faith. I'm not sure why those who are Catholic wouldn't want their children immersed in the Catholic faith? I'm kind of wondering why that is. Can anyone add more to that for me please?

It's not the immersion I mind; I mind the beating-over-the-head with it all the time. Every single thing has to do with being Catholic. We can't just trace a "c" and sound out words like "cat," "couch," or "cab." We have to see pictures of chalices and churches, and sound out "Catholic," "communion," and "Creator." In my opinion, it goes to such great lengths to make everything related to religion that it dulls the senses. I also think it reaches a bit too far sometimes, considering that if the kid is learning how to write the letter "c" they probably can't sound out "chalice" just yet! Also, I think Seton is blatantly anti-Protestant. I don't care for curriculum that bashes Catholics, and I don't like curriculum that bashes Protestants, either.

It's not the immersion I mind; I mind the beating-over-the-head with it all the time. Every single thing has to do with being Catholic. We can't just trace a "c" and sound out words like "cat," "couch," or "cab." We have to see pictures of chalices and churches, and sound out "Catholic," "communion," and "Creator." In my opinion, it goes to such great lengths to make everything related to religion that it dulls the senses.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I prefer materials that take a more subtle approach to including our family's faith. Seton's materials just seem rather contrived in their attempt to include a Catholic reference in EVERY single solitary exercise.

Look at Kolbe. If you are looking for a Seton-like school with an official transcript, this is the way to go. Most of their materials are secular and you can switch out whatever you want (you can do your own religion or math or whatever). There won't be a crucifix in their math book. :D

Yes, look at Kolbe Academy. We may use them for high school. I've scoured their curriculum and their Literature and Science look pretty good. Also, it looks like you can sub out stuff if you want to use your own math or religion class.

I have had some hits and misses with Seton. We are Catholic afterschoolers.

Hits:

Maps, Charts and Graphs series. My son really loves these workbooks and they do a great job teaching map skills. They are secular.

The Rosary in Art and Art Through Faith. Beautiful art with great commentary. Very high quality paper and printing. I love these books for both faith study and art appreciation.

Misses:

The religion curriculum. I purchased it and returned it. For my taste, it was too focused on enumerating all of the ways that you can sin. I am all for teaching an orthodox version of the faith, but I was afraid that my son would get the impression that being "good" was well-nigh impossible. I went with Faith & Life.

Grade 4 History text, "The Catholic Faith Comes to the New World." I dislike the portrayal of the conquistadors (too glorified) and there is an early chapter about the crusades that doesn't even fit the focus of the book. But I didn't return it because I kind of like Chapters 6 through 13.

Seton's customer service people are super nice!

Edited by Penguin
clarity

Yes, look at Kolbe Academy. We may use them for high school. I've scoured their curriculum and their Literature and Science look pretty good. Also, it looks like you can sub out stuff if you want to use your own math or religion class.

I may use them for high school too. I really don't see how I could make high school any more perfect than what they have already done! Except for math...

Edited by kristinannie

I may use them for high school too. I really don't see how I could make high school any more perfect than what they have already done! Except for math...

I don't want to derail the thread, but the high school program looks neat! If I plan the high school years for my kids, it's going to look alot like that.

I even like the look of the science!

Guest MelSpug
Does Seton accept non-Catholics for their distance school enrollment?

I have my 2 older ones (15 and 13) I am looking at doing so. Also, experiences with the school and curriculum? Please share!

You might want to look at Great Books Academy. I think their program is a secular version of Seton.

No, the Great Books Academy is the secular version of Angelicum Academy; both programs are several orders of magnitude more rigorous than Seton. Academically, if I were ranking them, I would consider them about a 10 and Seton about a 5, with ten being most rigorous.

Rigorous on what level? Rigorous in a great books sense or rigorous in a scholastic sense?

I've done a fair amount of research into Anglicum, and while it is the general consensus that it is rigorous in a rogue classical/great books type of way, it doesn't seem as rigorous as Seton if the goal is to prepare for a more scholastically traditional high school/college.

It could just be me though. I'm not a great books fan.

I am not aware of Great Books Academy having a Special Services department. I need that for my oldest. Anyone have experience with that bit or with Kolbe's?

We used Kolbe for a bit with my dyslexic/auditory processing disorder daughter. It was completely overwhelming for her and she hated it. We aren't technically classical, though, and she much prefers to be math and science focused (in other words, we lean less on the classical studies).

They do, however, have LD support. It just didn't help with the type of learner my daughter is and the type of program they support.

hmm...that is similar to my son. Thanks for saving me a phone call. I am not looking for a great books education for these 2. First son isn't sure what he wants to do but something with computers or engineering, and second is definitely going towards engineering, either mechanical or industrial with some theroytical (sp?) physics thrown in.

That said, any advice?

hmm...that is similar to my son. Thanks for saving me a phone call. I am not looking for a great books education for these 2. First son isn't sure what he wants to do but something with computers or engineering, and second is definitely going towards engineering, either mechanical or industrial with some theroytical (sp?) physics thrown in.

That said, any advice?

My husband has a degree in physics but works as the Chief Technology Officer for a digital marketing and media firm (ie he is a computer engineer and also has a degree in the IT arena) :) Autumn is DEFINITELY my mathy/science loving child.

We use Seton; but we use CLE for math and Ellen McHenry for science (in other words, we do not use Seton at all for those subjects). We LOVE Ellen McHenry for science. The only thing we dislike is that she doesn't have a physics program, so my husband will put one together when we get to that point. We are doing McHenry's Elements, then a physics program a la my husband, then McHenry's Carbon Chemistry, and then going into her Cells book.

In your situation, I would at least talk to Seton. One thing that can be said for certain: their phone staff are very helpful.

One of my friends called them when she was in a rough patch, and ended up venting about the over-the-top Catholic references in some of the workbooks. Then she suddenly realized that she was speaking to Mary Kay Clark, the founder and director. My friend was a bit terrified at this point :lol:, but MKC was gracious about it. She said that they get this sort of complaint a lot, but they still think it's best to reinforce the children's knowledge of the faith as much as possible, and there are many people who like the books the way they are.

Like Aimee, we only use Seton for certain subjects, but I have to admit that my children do really like the books. I'm the one who finds the religious content excessive at times. And even then, after being exposed to them for a couple of years, it's sort of growing on me. Like a very holy fungus. :D

In any case, as I understand it, students in Special Services don't necessarily use Seton-published materials. Their staff will choose what seems to be the best fit for the child. So the content of their workbooks might not turn out to be all that relevant anyway.

In your situation, I would at least talk to Seton. One thing that can be said for certain: their phone staff are very helpful.

One of my friends called them when she was in a rough patch, and ended up venting about the over-the-top Catholic references in some of the workbooks. Then she suddenly realized that she was speaking to Mary Kay Clark, the founder and director. My friend was a bit terrified at this point :lol:, but MKC was gracious about it. She said that they get this sort of complaint a lot, but they still think it's best to reinforce the children's knowledge of the faith as much as possible, and there are many people who like the books the way they are.

Like Aimee, we only use Seton for certain subjects, but I have to admit that my children do really like the books. I'm the one who finds the religious content excessive at times. And even then, after being exposed to them for a couple of years, it's sort of growing on me. Like a very holy fungus. :D

In any case, as I understand it, students in Special Services don't necessarily use Seton-published materials. Their staff will choose what seems to be the best fit for the child. So the content of their workbooks might not turn out to be all that relevant anyway.

You are right - children in special services do not necessarily use Seton books. I have heard that their special services staff is GREAT. We are flirting strongly with the idea of enrolling fully with them next year (but for math and science).

Autumn really enjoys her books too. They are pretty independent and we could all stand a bit more religion :D (in our house), so we take that in stride. I have to admit, when I first opened the english book and saw page after page with references to The Church, I was bit skeptical; but Eleanor is right... a holy fungus is the best way to describe it. It grows on you :lol:.