Menu

Your activities in high school?

I played tennis for one year, bb or one year

Marching band for 3 yrs, symphonic band for 4 yrs, jazz band for 1yr

Mixed choir-3 yrs, women's choir-2 yrs, ensembles-2 yrs

Swim team- 2 yrs,

I threw pottery at a local seminary a couple of times a week

Worked 10-20 hrs a week during the school year and at least full time during the summer (I cleaned houses with my sis and also worked life guarding and taught swimming)

Band, band, and more band. Marching band in the fall and spring, concert and jazz band all year, and I did a couple summers in Drum & Bugle corps (which wasn't a school activity, but my band director was our corps director and many kids from band were in it). I was also in National Honor Society and Drug Free Youth.

I answered this this morning before going out for the day, coming back and reading all the replies is making me feel like the biggest slacker back in high school. Well okay I really was, I was lucky to bother showing up to actual class let along extras. Extra clubs were all held afterschool and like I posted I worked from 3-6 M-F. I was not in any community clubs/lessons for the most part. BUt I did remember 1 thing I did and that was the suicide prevention teen team. I took and taught suicide prevention workshops, did demonstrations/talks at other schools, helped run the hotline, and if someone was put in the hospital under suicide watch the other team members and I would rotate shifts watching that person to free up hospital staff to do their actual work. I did that for all 3 years of high school.

Junior high I was in a bunch of stuff but once high school started I gave it all up, once I turned 15 I dropped the guiding organization (was in for 9 years by then) and so work and teen team were it. I put more time into those 2 things than I did into actual schoolwork.

None. Zip. Nada. Underachieving defined. :)

Me too. No extracurricular school activities.

I focused on doing what I could to get out of school, which often included leaving campus for mid-morning screwdrivers several times a week during sophomore year. Throughout my high school career, I watched a lot of All My Children and General Hospital, hung out with friends, and generally worried about what I would wear to the parties I would go to that weekend.

Like my closest friends, I got decent grades, flew under the radar, regularly cut classes without penalty, spent a lot of time drinking and doing other illegal activities but never got caught doing anything serious. Our parents were far more involved in their own lives than to have much concern about ours.

I played soccer on the boys varsity soccer team.

National Honor Society

science olympiad team

Odyssey of the Mind team

choir

practiced with the tennis team though I was just learning and never competed.

I was valedictorian and homecoming queen, too. :lol:

I also worked my last 2 years about 5-10 hours a week and did volunteer work at the local hospital for about 4-7 hours on Saturdays.

Girl Scouts

I was the typical Type A personality/overachiever.

I went to a large Catholic high school that was big in sports and academics. There were LOTS of clubs, too. Most of my friends (and other kids in my graduating class) participated in a whole lot more than I did.

Through school:

National Honor Society

Christian Social Action Club

basketball and track (got my letters)

volleyball (just one year)

Spanish Club

school plays and musicals

Math League

Outside of school:

worked a bit on weekends

horseback riding and shows

martial arts

volunteering at local hospital, a special needs preschool, and at a tutoring center for Deaf adults getting their GEDs

Edited by zaichiki
ETA: How could I have forgotten Math League?! ROFLOL! (I know how.)

In high school, my activities tapered off (cross-country and track), I wasn't in any clubs, but I did work as a veterinary assistant and receptionist. I think the job experience was great to have on my applications.

For my high schoolers, we just haven't had the money or transportation to be involved in many things, BUT my senior will have over 500 hours of volunteer/service experience with 5-6 different organizations. And he's taught himself guitar. I hope that's enough to help him. :001_unsure: