Menu

What type of oil do you bake with?

I made a fantastic banana cake (plus cream cheese icing) using olive oil the other day. WOW! It was amazing. It was a Moosehead cookbook recipe, and it actually called for olive oil. I hate it when recipes call for Canola now that I know how processed it is. I'd love to just substitute Olive Oil now that I've tried the banana cake - I might try that next time in a baking recipe that calls for vegetable or canola.

I sometimes use coconut oil but more often use rice bran oil. It's half the price of olive oil, doesn't have that heaviness/flavor of olive oil, has a higher smoke point, and is supposed to be a healthy choice. The downside is that I have to order it online because I can't find it locally.

I sometimes use coconut oil but more often use rice bran oil. It's half the price of olive oil, doesn't have that heaviness/flavor of olive oil, has a higher smoke point, and is supposed to be a healthy choice. The downside is that I have to order it online because I can't find it locally.

Interesting. You're the second to mention it. I'll have to look into that. :001_smile:

Those of you that use coconut oil for baking, do you just warm it until it's melted and then measure it like you would a liquid vegetable oil in a recipe?

It depends on what I'm making. If it's a quick bread or muffins that call for oil, I'll usually just cream the coconut oil with the sugar (unless it's summer, and the oil is already melted). I typically only melt it if it's a recipe that needs it to be liquid - like pancakes or waffles.

It depends on what I'm making. If it's a quick bread or muffins that call for oil, I'll usually just cream the coconut oil with the sugar (unless it's summer, and the oil is already melted). I typically only melt it if it's a recipe that needs it to be liquid - like pancakes or waffles.

Thanks. What about for a cake from a box mix. Yes I know many think that's totally awful, but I have never been able to make a cake from scratch that didn't come out dry.

Thanks. What about for a cake from a box mix. Yes I know many think that's totally awful, but I have never been able to make a cake from scratch that didn't come out dry.

I'm sure this is totally awful health-wise, but here's how I make a moist box cake. Ignore the directions! Purchase a mix that has pudding in it. Use:

1 c water

1 c mayo

3 eggs

1 cake mix

Mix well. Pour in pan. Bake @350 for 30 minutes.

Here's an article about why you shouldn't use canola:

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-great-con-ola

I use coconut oil and butter for baking and cooking.

Olive oil for dressings or things that stay cold.

Occassionally lard for cooking.

This - I was looking for an article that summed it up best but you found one before I did.

On a personal note, when I eat canola oil I bruise far worse, and when we were using it exclusively {before we found out what it was} it also turned my skin and nails slightly yellow.

I'm surprised that so many use coconut oil. I thought that it was particularly bad because it is considered saturated fat. I'll have to read further about it. I wish there was one source that would tell all the good things/bad things about each type of oil and it was unbiased and reliable so that I could make an informed decision.

We use mainly olive oil, butter for some cooking (especially things like Christmas cookies), we have some peanut oil for stir frying.

Coconut oil is quickly becoming another "superfood". It is rich in medium-chain fatty acids that are supposed to be wonderfully healthy. I use it sometimes. Mostly I use butter, though. Other fats I'll use include ghee, olive oil, and rendered animal fat. (In fact I just made biscuits this evening with tallow I rendered from the local grass-fed beef we recently bought.):D

I mainly use butter. I would love to use coconut oil, but my eldest son seems to be allergic to it when it is used with egg. When I need something other than butter I sometimes use sunflower oil.

I thought safflower seed oil and grapeseed oils were not good for cooking. I'll have to go back and re-study that.

I'm surprised that so many use coconut oil. I thought that it was particularly bad because it is considered saturated fat. I'll have to read further about it. I wish there was one source that would tell all the good things/bad things about each type of oil and it was unbiased and reliable so that I could make an informed decision.

We use mainly olive oil, butter for some cooking (especially things like Christmas cookies), we have some peanut oil for stir frying.

this gal has some very interesting things to say about oils, sugars and other healthy vs unhealthy foods. I love her blog and her site...lots of yummy recipes and other information.

How to Adapt a Recipe to Make it Healthier | Heavenly Homemakers

What I understand to be true is that there are natural oils and synthetic oils. The natural oils (olive, butter, coconut and the like) are not foreign to our bodies and our bodies instinctivly know how to deal with them. On the other hand, synthetic oils (margarine, crisco, canola oil, veg.oil for example) are human made and our bodies view them a alien and have no idea what to do with them and how to process them....thus they are bad for our bodies.

Edited by NEprairemom