Menu

Best Christian Colleges

shinyhappypeople

Will you help me make a list?

I have no real preference for Protestant or Catholic. Either is fine. I just want to look at admissions policies for excellent, rigorous, Christian schools with good reputations. That's what "we" are shooting for at the moment.

And yes, my oldest is in 3rd grade. :tongue_smilie: But, I think it's good to have goals :)

Good to plan, but life throws you curveballs, like losing all college funds in stocks.

So, reminder to go w/the flow, plus child may not want to go to a Christian College.

My fav college that is close, my second dd refuses to go to.

I totally hear what you're saying. I'm coming from the standpoint of "Most people aim at nothing in life... and hit it with amazing accuracy."

For me, the point isn't to pick a school that she will definitely attend, but to get an idea of what's available and the preparation that's necessary to get there. What she ultimately does is up to her.

Nothing like planning ahead! Although it is fine to plan, some of this will depend on what your child plans to major in!! Premed might be different from accounting from teacher ed from computer science. Also what will your child like: city, rural, etc 2,0000 or 10,000? Lots of factors to decide.

I am a Baylor alum, so I am biased. It has 12,000 students or so with great athletics. Many people slam the town of Waco on the college board. Everything I wanted to do was on campus. I didn't need a big city to find hapiness. My husband did pre-med there and was accepted into med school, residency and has a thriving practice. I was an education major, which was also looked upon highly.

I just want to look at admissions policies for excellent, rigorous, Christian schools with good reputations.

Since you've got almost 10yrs until you get there, the sad truth is that a school that fits your standards now may not be the same place then. I mean that schools, of course, are not static and you have no idea this far out what policies will be in place then.

For example, the conservative, Baptist school my sister graduated from is no longer affiliated with the SBC and is barely Christian.

I started this thread a little over a year ago when I had compiled some admission stats (scores) from Protestant Christian colleges:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160154

It might give you a list of some to look at. Go to the later pages to find more added to the list. If people know of others, it can be updated too.

Nothing like planning ahead! Although it is fine to plan, some of this will depend on what your child plans to major in!! Premed might be different from accounting from teacher ed from computer science. Also what will your child like: city, rural, etc 2,0000 or 10,000? Lots of factors to decide.

I am a Baylor alum, so I am biased. It has 12,000 students or so with great athletics. Many people slam the town of Waco on the college board. Everything I wanted to do was on campus. I didn't need a big city to find hapiness. My husband did pre-med there and was accepted into med school, residency and has a thriving practice. I was an education major, which was also looked upon highly.

Hey I graduated from Baylor with an ed degree too.

I would also say it depends on what you mean by Christian type school. I liked Baylor and it did have religious stuff, but in some ways I know there are many that don't see it as a "Christian" school.

I would also say it depends on what you mean by Christian type school. I liked Baylor and it did have religious stuff, but in some ways I know there are many that don't see it as a "Christian" school.

See this cracks me up.. You need to define what Christian is to you.. Is it legalistic? NO.. I mean College Confidential slams Baylor because it is too conservative and Baptist. Very conservative Christians slam it because it isn't conservative enough!!!! I loved it and thought it was PLENTY Christian. They stressed your spiritual life being important in Welcome Week, tons of Christian speakers in Chapel, etc. Tons of spiritual activities and mission projects and concerts.. In fact, I had a little problem when I was there. I'm not sure if it is still that way. If you wanted to be involved in Welcome Week as a mincon leader or several other front and center Baylor things, you really needed to me involved in the BSU. (Baptist Student Union) I was Methodist and didn't get picked for a lot of things, not did my non-Baptist friends. My husband teases me about being a sorority girl as he never, ever thought he would date one. I told him that the BSU was just as cliquish/exclusive as any sorority or fraternity!!! I don't know how it is at other schools, but our sorority had tons of Christian stuff involved in inititation and our other traditions..

So I found plenty to keep me connected to God at Baylor... They are certainly not anti-religion and they are not stifling like College Confidential thinks...

I started this thread a little over a year ago when I had compiled some admission stats (scores) from Protestant Christian colleges:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160154

It might give you a list of some to look at. Go to the later pages to find more added to the list. If people know of others, it can be updated too.

Fabulous thread! Thanks for linking! :)

By Christian school I mean a school that promotes faith in Christ as a positive thing. It isn't anti-religion or anti-Christianity. I hope she chooses a school where she won't hear tripe about how educated people don't believe in a God - at least not without the opportunity of hearing other instructors and students push back and challenge the thinking.

See this cracks me up.. You need to define what Christian is to you.. Is it legalistic? NO.. I mean College Confidential slams Baylor because it is too conservative and Baptist. Very conservative Christians slam it because it isn't conservative enough!!!! I loved it and thought it was PLENTY Christian. They stressed your spiritual life being important in Welcome Week, tons of Christian speakers in Chapel, etc. Tons of spiritual activities and mission projects and concerts.. In fact, I had a little problem when I was there. I'm not sure if it is still that way. If you wanted to be involved in Welcome Week as a mincon leader or several other front and center Baylor things, you really needed to me involved in the BSU. (Baptist Student Union) I was Methodist and didn't get picked for a lot of things, not did my non-Baptist friends. My husband teases me about being a sorority girl as he never, ever thought he would date one. I told him that the BSU was just as cliquish/exclusive as any sorority or fraternity!!! I don't know how it is at other schools, but our sorority had tons of Christian stuff involved in inititation and our other traditions..

So I found plenty to keep me connected to God at Baylor... They are certainly not anti-religion and they are not stifling like College Confidential thinks...

I was Methodist there too. I didn't do lots of campus activities. I was a transfer, didn't do welcome week or live in the dorms.

I was active at the Methodist church I attended.

Will you help me make a list?

I have no real preference for Protestant or Catholic. Either is fine. I just want to look at admissions policies for excellent, rigorous, Christian schools with good reputations. That's what "we" are shooting for at the moment.

And yes, my oldest is in 3rd grade. :tongue_smilie: But, I think it's good to have goals :)

You have just described Grove City College (PA).