Menu

Beginning Hebrew or Arabic resources

garddwr

I am trying to introduce my children to the basics of several different languages, at the level of learning the alphabet and some simple words or phrases. Two that I have struggled to find good resources for are Hebrew and Arabic. I need materials that do not assume a teacher or parent with knowledge of the language. For Hebrew, either Biblical or modern would be fine; I don't mind using Jewish resources. Some kind of pronunciation help (audio files, or even youtube lessons) would be fabulous.

Does anyone have suggestions?

--Sarah

I've been teaching my 9yo ds Hebrew and Greek. For Hebrew, I purchased the board book "Itty Bitty Baby Learns Hebrew" from www.triviumpursuit.com. I'm not sure why they call it a baby book, as it's been a perfect fit for teaching the alphabet to my ds. After I introduce a letter using "Itty Bitty Baby," I then have my ds do the corresponding pages, at a rate of one page a day, from "Let's Learn the Alef Bet: Reading Readiness Book for The Hebrew Primer," which I purchased from www.behrmanhouse.com. The Behrman House has some excellent resources, so when my ds finishes "Let's Learn the Alef Bet," I plan on purchasing the next level book from them. I have liked the combination of "Itty Bitty Baby" and "Let's Learn the Alef Bet," although there are some differences that confused me at first, such Beth vs. Bet or Waw vs. Vav. Thankfully, I have a brother who is proficient in Hebrew from his studies in seminary, and he explained that the sound of the letter is what's important, rather than what a particular group calls the letter. My ds and I have also enjoyed singing the Alef Bet song along with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-qxk53PvM&feature=related.

I am trying to introduce my children to the basics of several different languages, at the level of learning the alphabet and some simple words or phrases. Two that I have struggled to find good resources for are Hebrew and Arabic. I need materials that do not assume a teacher or parent with knowledge of the language. For Hebrew, either Biblical or modern would be fine; I don't mind using Jewish resources. Some kind of pronunciation help (audio files, or even youtube lessons) would be fabulous.

Does anyone have suggestions?

--Sarah

I use Alif Baa for learning to read and write Arabic. It isn't designed for kids so I read it and teach it to them. It comes with a DVD with listening, reading, and writing exercises. If you want just the alphabet you can watch some of these

on Youtube. There are plenty of Arabic alphabet songs on Youtube as well. I know I printed off some large Arabic letters online when we were learning the alphabet a couple years ago. I don't remember where I found them, but you can see a picture of them here. Alif Baa doesn't teach much in the way of words and phrases. I use Arabian Sinbad for learning words and phrases. It is immersion based and is designed for kids. It is DVDs in Arabic with an accompanying CD-Rom game. It also comes with a few books.

Sorry, I don't know any resources for Hebrew.

I use Alif Baa for learning to read and write Arabic. It isn't designed for kids so I read it and teach it to them. It comes with a DVD with listening, reading, and writing exercises. If you want just the alphabet you can watch some of these
on Youtube. There are plenty of Arabic alphabet songs on Youtube as well. I know I printed off some large Arabic letters online when we were learning the alphabet a couple years ago. I don't remember where I found them, but you can see a picture of them here. Alif Baa doesn't teach much in the way of words and phrases. I use Arabian Sinbad for learning words and phrases. It is immersion based and is designed for kids. It is DVDs in Arabic with an accompanying CD-Rom game. It also comes with a few books.

Sorry, I don't know any resources for Hebrew.

Do you have any favorite Arabic alphabet song you could link me to? I have done some searching, and found one we like for Hebrew but not for Arabic yet.

Thanks for the ideas!

--Sarah