Menu

Is this above average for a just turned 7 yo?

Iamblessed

My 7 yo can read just about anything he picks up and very fluently too. I haven't tested his level as of yet but he can read just about ANYTHING and is not intimidated by big words. He just sounds them out. Also he loves math. He can add and subtract big numbers with carrying and borrowing. He is also starting to understand multiplying. The other day he heard his big sister figuring out adding negative numbers and he piped up the answer as if he was spouting off an easy addition problem! Since then he has also learned to subtract negative numbers as well. He loves to add and subtract numbers in his head- even big numbers where carrying and borrowing are involved. He writes beautifully and hardly makes any errors in his WWE. I sorta feel silly asking this question about him being above average but he is just sooo easy to teach. He catches on so quickly. I just want to be sure he is challenged enough. I make sure to have plenty of living books around for him to read at many different levels and he goes on Kahn Academy. I let him pick whatever sounds interesting to him. :001_smile:

Could be...but he's obviously very bright :D. Just keep feeding his learning bent, and moving at his pace. The difference between "gifted" kids across that spectrum is huge, and the difference between bright and gifted can be miniscule. Not to mention, personality and drive can play huge roles in how gifted even looks (we won't get into 2E...which is a whole 'nother animal).

Could be...but he's obviously very bright :D. Just keep feeding his learning bent, and moving at his pace. The difference between "gifted" kids across that spectrum is huge, and the difference between bright and gifted can be miniscule. Not to mention, personality and drive can play huge roles in how gifted even looks (we won't get into 2E...which is a whole 'nother animal).

:iagree:Skill-wise he sounds about on target for math, but what stands out is his ease and love of learning, and the fact that he's apparently teaching himself some things. It doesn't sound like he's challenged enough in math. He's raring to go, so let him. Reading-wise, just make sure to feed him with plenty of books, and work on developing his comprehension.

:iagree:Skill-wise he sounds about on target for math, but what stands out is his ease and love of learning, and the fact that he's apparently teaching himself some things. It doesn't sound like he's challenged enough in math. He's raring to go, so let him. Reading-wise, just make sure to feed him with plenty of books, and work on developing his comprehension.

I agree with this.

:iagree:too.

My 6 year old son sounds a lot like yours! He can read just about anything he gets his hands on, add/subtract large numbers with carrying/borrowing, understands negative numbers, etc. He loves to learn new things and is constantly wanting a new challenge. He HAS been tested and is "highly gifted" with an IQ of 145, so I would say your son is definitely above average.

If he's hungry for more, let him go at his own pace. That's the beauty of homeschooling! :) My son moves pretty quickly through his math. We are going to start Singapore Math 3A soon, and we'll move at our own pace. I don't bog him down with *too* much review, although some is obviously necessary. You know when your kid understands a concept and you can move on :)

I've heard good things about the Life of Fred math series - you might look into that to give him some more challenges.

Add in some logic from the Critical Thinking Co. - my son loves this.

If he doesn't know how yet, I bet he'd love chess, too!

http://hoagiesgifted.com/ is a great resource!

Hope that helps some! Keep that love of learning going! :)

Lezli

I think the responses you're getting must be from parents of gifted kids? I do not think the math sounds on-target at all!!! That is definitely above the math level for most 1st graders. It's usually 2nd grade that teaches borrowing, etc. Not sure when negative numbers are added in. Not that some kids in first grade wouldn't understand those concepts, but I don't think it's average or on-target.

Not saying he's gifted (of course I have no idea), but that the math he's picking up on is not typical of what your average first grader would probably be capable of. It'd be the advanced students that age for sure. How advanced, I have no idea. My oldest was understood multiplication in preschool and easily added/subtracted large numbers in his head at age 5 or 6. He understood negative numbers early, not sure what age. Math came very easily to him and he was definitely way ahead (and was never challenged at school). But he certainly isn't any genius or anything.

I think the responses you're getting must be from parents of gifted kids? I do not think the math sounds on-target at all!!!

I only have experience with Abeka grade 1 and Math Mammoth grade 1. Abeka does introduce addition with carry, and I believe subtraction with borrowing in grade 1. Math Mammoth is early in grade 2. So... it depends upon the math course scope & sequence. Abeka does tend to go quickly in the early years... and then review, review, review. We used Singapore for my oldest early on... but I really don't have any recollection of its scope and sequence.

Also, I know many people who use Saxon 2 as first-grade math (VP recommends Saxon 1 in K, Saxon 2 in 1), and I believe that would have people following those recommendations also learning carrying/borrowing in grade 1.

My children are all fairly accelerated in math... so yes, my experience is a bit skewed, which is why I find it difficult to make a broad proclamation, given the math programs we have used, and when we used them. There is a wide variety of "normal" for bright kids, and a wide-variety of "normal" between moderately gifted, highly gifted, and profoundly gifted children. There may not be a huge difference between "very bright" and "moderately gifted." On top of that, each child is so different, that a child who is actually "HG" may appear "bright or MG" because of differences in personality, interests, and drive... and a child who is "very bright" may appear very gifted because of personality, interests and drive. It is not easy to just "guess." It is easy to say her child is above average...how far above, is beyond what anyone can really say here (at least based upon my experience).