Menu

Cloth diaper cover ?

My eyes are bugging out and my brain is frazzled (more than it already was after a full week of juggling school and kids!) from looking at site after site for cloth diapering! Good grief, I've used basic Chinese prefolds, vinyl pants and pins for almost 16 years with no problem yet seeing all the options out there...amazing! Finances dictate that I stick with my current system however I do want diaper covers as the vinyl pants get holes in them way too fast. Are Thirsties what I want? I keep reading descriptions of every kind of diaper cover and think this is what I want, right? A basic cover, not an AIO, just something to contain the wetness like vinyl pants do.

It would be so nice to have the $ to spend on all the cool cloth diapering options out there...oh well, not to be with twins and a toddler in diapers! :)

Yes - Thirsties covers are workhorses. I've used them for 5 years. I have some of my original covers that are still in good condition.

Also pick up a few packs of snappis. Much easier than pins and cheap.

Edited by *Jen*

The gussets work really well.
What is a gusset??

Also pick up a few packs of snappis. Much easier than pins and cheap.
A friend let us borrow some of these. I'm sorry to say that they made both me and my dh crazy! It felt like we needed 3 hands to get them on right and neither of us could get the diaper tight enough like we can with pins. I'm just a lot more careful now with pins than I was with baby #3 when I pinned her diaper to her...on both sides. oops

I have tried several brands of covers through the years. Thirsties fit nicely but have worn out faster than others in my experience. The most durable IMO is Bummis Super Whisper Wrap - they have a slightly thicker material. I am currently also trying out a couple Econobum covers that work well, but they are even thinner than Thirsties so I am a bit skeptical on how long they will last. With any of these covers you can also just tri-fold the prefolds instead of fastening them. Or try a Snappi - love those!

I usually order from Abby's Lane - great service! I would also recommend looking at Green Mountain Diapers because they have a lot of pictures.

OK, wait a minute...one site shows Thirsties with a hook/loop closure yet another site has velcro. Which do I want??? AARGH, the options are too much for me!!

Hook and loop and velcro are the same. Thirsties do come in snaps now; I prefer snaps because I hate that aplix/velcro/hook and loop snags everything, collects lint, and curls up over time, but you are a little more limited in adjusting the fit by snaps, and some babysitters/grandparents/dads seem to have a hard time figuring snaps out. But I personally prefer snaps on everything.

Bummis Super Whisper Wraps are nice. The Super Brites have gussets and come in more colors/patterns.

Do you want my stash? I have a ton of covers and diapers that I think you would find very useful. I don't mind shipping them to you if you tell me you are over the baby blues and into the baby sweets.

:ohmy: :w00t: ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!!!!! Can you ship yourself here along with your diapers?! :D

Yes, the baby "sweets" have definitely replaced the blues. Tonight I was watching Miss Juliette as she tried so hard to talk to me, watching her eyes and precious fat face, and I wish I could go back and not miss the time I feel I missed with her. Yet I am so thankful that here I am enjoying my wee ones and loving on them until they both tell me to stop (in so many words, lol).

Egads, leaky eyes here...again. You are amazing...you do know that, right?

I don't like Bummis Whisper Wraps. They are so thick, I feel like I'm putting a raincoat on my baby's bum. Thirsties are my go-to, but I actually really like Econobums. I know they are cheap, and I only got them because they were on sale for $5 each and I just needed a few extra covers for those laundry cycles where my daughter messed up all her good ones. Now I find that I reach for them first!

BTW, I've had my Thirsties for 3 years (in constant use) and they've held up fine. I do prefer the snaps to velcro.

So Awesome you found some covers. ;) Making me tear up.

I am also in the snap camp. I had issues with velcro and tummies getting scratched. I learned how to make my own covers out of pul, fold over elastic, velour and snaps. They worked great as I got to love pocket diapers with my last.

Can't believe in a month I am going to be back to diapering. So excited.

I used to like thirsties, but then I tried Econobums and they are amazing. Very cheap, never leak, very thin to go under clothes. Flips are o.k. and I like Bummis Super Lite but they cut into my baby's thighs. BSWW are good and leak proof but stiff and thick. Good luck!

I'm so glad someone agrees with me! I thought I was crazy. :)

I use Thisties Duo covers. They're great. I tried Kissuluv marvels when dd was first born. But they were bulky and too tight around her skinny little legs. I also have a bummis cover. It works, but I like how the thirsties have snaps to adjust the rise. The bummis and thirsties were the same size, but all that extra fabric (when she was at the small end of the size weight range) could be snapped away with the thirsties for a better fit. The Duos are also nice because there's only 2 sizes to buy.

Eta- I never noticed them running small. But dd is petite. She's almost 15 mos old and just hitting 20 lbs. She is still wearing size 2s on the lowest rise. i suppose if you have largeish babies that you might want to listen to the other advice instead.

Edited by Scuff

BSWW - Bummis Super Whisper Wraps were my workhorse cover for DD5. For DD2 and DS, my workhorses are Thirsties Duo Wraps. My smaller Duos are still going strong on their second baby.

If you're not sure, I would get maybe 2-3 of several different kinds of covers to see what works best for your baby. What fits my baby might not be so good for yours. :)