Menu

O.K., exercise at home experts - talk to me about resistance bands.

I have some barbell free weights (3,5,8,10, 12 and 15 lb...plus more on order (a 40-lb dumbbell set : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VCDXNS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details ). I have the book recommended here New Rules for Lifting for Women. I need to get some resistance bands - I would think that as a shortie (5'1") I would prefer the elastic band things that you can grab where ever you need to, not the cord-type with attached handles, right? Is there one brand better than another? I have visions of messing up and sending myself ricocheting across the room like a pebble from a slingshot ;) so tell me what I want.

I have no money or time to go to a gym, and not much money and no space for any equipment beyond weights etc. that can line up next to the wall. I am trying to replicate as many of the exercises in the Lifting book as possible at home.

I am 35 lbs down in five months by watching what I eat and exercising like a maniac (mostly boxercising with various wii stuff) and need to move more into strength training stuff now for the last 25 pounds.

I have some barbell free weights (3,5,8,10, 12 and 15 lb...plus more on order (a 40-lb dumbbell set : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VCDXNS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details ). I have the book recommended here New Rules for Lifting for Women. I need to get some resistance bands - I would think that as a shortie (5'1") I would prefer the elastic band things that you can grab where ever you need to, not the cord-type with attached handles, right? Is there one brand better than another? I have visions of messing up and sending myself ricocheting across the room like a pebble from a slingshot ;) so tell me what I want.

I have no money or time to go to a gym, and not much money and no space for any equipment beyond weights etc. that can line up next to the wall. I am trying to replicate as many of the exercises in the Lifting book as possible at home.

I am 35 lbs down in five months by watching what I eat and exercising like a maniac (mostly boxercising with various wii stuff) and need to move more into strength training stuff now for the last 25 pounds.

It depends on the program you will be using. For yoga and Pilates, those long, flat ones with no handle would work very well. As a replacement for dumb bells, you will fair better with the handles. IME, and I am shorter than you, bands are cumbersome. You are better off with free weights.

If I had to pick only one, I'd pick the band over the tubes. You can adjust the resistance of bands more easily and comfortably. If you want some ideas for how both can be used, search online. A search on Bodyvive and CXWorks will show you some great ideas for using the tubes. Search on pilates with bands to get videos for bands.

I am short and I have both types. The type without handles I use for Pilates and such. They are not strong enough to replace weight training, IMO. I use the type with handles for real resistance. I just step on it differently or wrap it around my hands to make it shorter when necessary.

I'm 5'1" on a good day and I teach with resistant bands a lot. The ones with the handles are fine. You adjust the tension by choking up or standing with your feet further apart (if you're doing bicep curls). Also a higher resistant band would make a difference too. Many of the exercises don't have anything to do with your height as relative to the length of the band.

Oh - and how do you fasten the bands to the door in a way to not damage the door? We have a 100+ year-old house and I do not wish to pull it apart with some of the exercises...? Some kits say they come with door fasteners but I see no pictures or info of what that entails.

DH and I have both been using exercise bands for a while now. We use Thera-Band exercise bands, which come in rolls 18 feet long. You just cut off the length you want to use and keep the rest for when the band eventually breaks (they usually last several months with daily use). They come in different colors, which indicate the level of resistance of the band. We ordered the rolls online.

We put them over the bar for hanging clothes in our closet when we do pull-down exercises and wrap them around both door handles (while facing the door edge) when doing rowing-type exercises.

HTH, and good luck with your exercise program!icon7.gif

Oh - and how do you fasten the bands to the door in a way to not damage the door? We have a 100+ year-old house and I do not wish to pull it apart with some of the exercises...? Some kits say they come with door fasteners but I see no pictures or info of what that entails.

I shut the door on the tubes -- put it over the top of the door, and pull the door closed. Sometimes I put a knot in the center, and close the door on that with both handles coming down. I don't think this would work with the bands -- they'd probably slide right out.

I also tie bands and tubes to the bottom of a dresser or something else HEAVY when I want to come from a low angle. (Full disclosure: we have a weight bench, so I have oodles of choices about where to tie onto that.)

Draping it over a clothes bar to use wouldn't work around here -- we're putting too much tension on the tube/band vs. how the clothes bar is attached. I'm also wary of ripping the doorknobs off, and wouldn't tie on to them. It probably depends on how your house was built.

Generally I'm more vigilant about whether the band has a hole or rip rather than whether I'm pulling the house apart. Probably if I paid better attention to what I was doing I'd find other choices in the house.

You can use anything as an anchor. Tables legs, heavy furniture, railings, trees are all options.

If you have a partners, you can also use each other or another band held by that person.

I have pictures on my Facebook page of what that looks like. Just click on the first link in my signature. Go to pictures and you will see an album of me using bands with the door attachment.

Edited by LG Gone Wild