Menu

Messed up (ebay related)

Good gracious but postage has gone WAY up.

I charged $3 for shipping a 5 ounce purse. It cost $8 to ship!

I charged $7 to ship a heavier purse and haven't gone in yet, but my guess is that it will be around $12 to ship.

GRRRR.

Dawn

What a nuisance!

If the purses are small, will they fit in Flat Rate Priority Mail Boxes?

The larger one will probably still cost more than $7.00 to ship, but I have found that flat rate is often cheaper than both parcel post and regular Priority Mail.

Postage costs are so expensive -- and confusing. :glare:

Another idea, I have one seller I purchase from who charges quite a bit for shipping (he's shipping plants) - and refunds the difference, both for individual and combined items. I've purchased from him a number of times, and have a few more things on my list I want . . . the refunded difference has always been very prompt.

You might want to consider shipping in polymailer bags rather than boxes. Just wrap the purse or other item up really well in bubble wrap. (I wouldn't do this with something breakable, of course.) The polymailers are so light, and I really keep my shipping costs down using them. They can be purchased on Ebay for a very reasonable price.

The five ounce purse; was that the total shipping weight, or did the purse itself weigh five ounces?

'Cause you can ship lots of packages up to 13 ounces first class. According to USPS.com, a five ounce package (up to 108" in combined length and girlth) costs $2.29 to ship. If you could've fit it in a large envelope (up to 12" X 15"), it would've been $1.70. Of course those prices are without delivery confirmation or insurance.

I'm assuming if it cost you $7, you sent it priority mail? The small flat rate box is $5.15, without tracking or insurance.

I try to remember that if what I'm shipping is gonna be 13 oz. or less once packaged, it's cheaper to send it first class; 13 oz is $3.30 for a large envelope, $3.65 for a package. Of course, you have to *list* it as first class. I won't list something as priority mail, then ship it as first class because I figured out after the auction that first class is cheaper. That might make a buyer mad, since they DID pay for priority shipping. (Even though first class is usually just as fast, but whatever).

HTH.

There is another option for shipping Priority. They are called Regional rate boxes. They come in several sizes and there is a weight limit for each size. The price per box changes depending on where you are mailing it. You can only order them online thru the Post Office, but they ship them rather quickly. It can be a couple of dollars cheaper than the flat rate and it's still priority mail.