Menu

My 9th grade son is almost finished with Saxon Algebra 1. He uses Saxon Teacher with it. He has a B. It just takes him so long to do each lesson, 2 hours or more, but he needs to do every problem to retain the material. I have Jacob's Geometry but am considering switching him to Teaching Textbooks beginning with Geometry. I have 5 children to teach and a 1 year old and I need math to be totally independant for them. I also have 2 dyslexic sons and wonder if Saxon Algebra will be too difficult for them. Any advice is appreciated.

Your DS will have no problem going from Saxon Algebra 1 to TT Geometry. We used Saxon Algebra 1/2 for pre-algebra and it took DD forever to complete the problem sets. TT takes about 1 hour (give or take 15 minutes depending on the lesson).

TT Geometry can be used independently, but it's not as easy as TT Algebra programs. There are a lot of proofs and they can be challenging. My DD (who dislikes math) can't wait to get back to Algebra next year.

If you want your DS to be completely independent with TT, I have two pieces of advice.

First, from the very start, when your DS needs help, put in the solution CD and watch it together. Get him in the habit of watching the solution CD as his source for help. This will accomplish two results:

1) He will push himself harder to understand the math and complete his problem sets on his own because he will not want to take the time to watch the solution CD.

2) He will start going to the solution CD independently when he really needs help.

My second piece of advice it to make sure he grades his own work every day (under your supervision if needed) so he can see if he's making any mistakes and correct then right away - so he doesn't go all week making the same mistakes. Sorry if this is obvious, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I know how busy we all can get and when they're working independently it can be easy to assume they're doing great when they're not asking for help. And if you're not tuned into the daily lessons, at least make sure you keep up with his test results so you know if he's getting the material.

...TT takes about 1 hour (give or take 15 minutes depending on the lesson).

TT Geometry can be used independently, but it's not as easy as TT Algebra programs. There are a lot of proofs and they can be challenging. My DD (who dislikes math) can't wait to get back to Algebra next year.

If you want your DS to be completely independent with TT, I have two pieces of advice.

First, from the very start, when your DS needs help, put in the solution CD and watch it together. Get him in the habit of watching the solution CD as his source for help. This will accomplish two results:

1) He will push himself harder to understand the math and complete his problem sets on his own because he will not want to take the time to watch the solution CD.

2) He will start going to the solution CD independently when he really needs help.

My second piece of advice it to make sure he grades his own work every day (under your supervision if needed) so he can see if he's making any mistakes and correct then right away - so he doesn't go all week making the same mistakes. Sorry if this is obvious, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I know how busy we all can get and when they're working independently it can be easy to assume they're doing great when they're not asking for help. And if you're not tuned into the daily lessons, at least make sure you keep up with his test results so you know if he's getting the material.

:iagree: My dd was the same way--liked TT Algebra 1, didn't like TT Geometry, and was eager to move on from geometry to TT Algebra 2. I also agree about the CD. We used the CD's heavily for geometry, but we hardly use them at all for TT's Algebra programs.

Thanks Lori - he may have benefited from Algebra 1/2 before Algebra I' date=' but many here have shared that a second year of Algebra I - with any program - had done wonders for their students. :)[/quote']

So would you recommend doing Algebra 1 again and then Geometry? Or do Geometry now and then do Algebra 1 and 2 back to back?

Edited by Lori in MS

So would you recommend doing Algebra 1 again and then Geometry? Or do Geometry now and then do Algebra 1 and 2 back to back?

What goal are you trying to achieve?

I thought you wanted your DS to be more independent and not take 2 hours to complete lessons?

Based on my personal experience (I personally have to work through Saxon Advanced math for tutoring a class) and anecdotally on this board, Saxon lessons always take about 2 hours to complete. And at the more advanced levels, that doesn't include the reading.

No! I'm sorry I forgot that you were looking for geometry and not algebra. I don't think it's at all necessary to do algebra I again if he got a B. Sorry! :tongue_smilie:

I would suggest that he do a bit of review of algebra I when he does geometry to keep it fresh for algebra 2 the next year.

I don't think it's unusual for Saxon Algebra I to take an hour to an hour and a half, and then with watching the video too, I don't think that's an unusual amount of time to spend on it.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

What goal are you trying to achieve?

I thought you wanted your DS to be more independent and not take 2 hours to complete lessons?

Based on my personal experience (I personally have to work through Saxon Advanced math for tutoring a class) and anecdotally on this board, Saxon lessons always take about 2 hours to complete. And at the more advanced levels, that doesn't include the reading.

I don't want him to struggle when he gets to Algebra 2.

I need him to do math independantly in less than two hours as he has a lot of other schoolwork and needs time to pursue his interests.

I want him to thoroughly understand the material and be prepared for college

I want him to get a good ACT score.

He has done very well with math through Saxon 8/7. I guess I messed up by not doing Saxon Algebra 1/2 first, but what do I do now? We are going to do math year round as in the summer there is more time.

My son did Saxon Alg. 1 (took less than an hour per lesson, scored A's and B's, but hated it thoroughly) and then switched to TT Geometry for this, his ninth grade year (30 min. per lesson, all A's, loves it).

I'm a little concerned how easy TT Geometry is for him. I know there are mixed reviews...he's good at math but not super-good. It seems he should have to work at Geometry a little bit.

I'm trying to decide whether he should go through some more rigorous Geometry over the summer before hitting Algebra 2 (for which he will probably use neither Saxon nor TT)...

No! I'm sorry I forgot that you were looking for geometry and not algebra. I don't think it's at all necessary to do algebra I again if he got a B. Sorry! :tongue_smilie:

I would suggest that he do a bit of review of algebra I when he does geometry to keep it fresh for algebra 2 the next year.

I didn't see your last post. I think I will go on to Geometry and review like you said. Then go to Algebra 2

My son did Saxon Alg. 1 (took less than an hour per lesson, scored A's and B's, but hated it thoroughly) and then switched to TT Geometry for this, his ninth grade year (30 min. per lesson, all A's, loves it).

I'm a little concerned how easy TT Geometry is for him. I know there are mixed reviews...he's good at math but not super-good. It seems he should have to work at Geometry a little bit.

I'm trying to decide whether he should go through some more rigorous Geometry over the summer before hitting Algebra 2 (for which he will probably use neither Saxon nor TT)...

What are you thinking of using for Algebra 2?

What are you thinking of using for Algebra 2?

I think I'm most interested in Chalkdust. Have you researched that?

I have to choose something that includes a teacher. DH is very qualified to help with high school math homework as needed but he's not available to teach the course. I'm barely qualified to choose the course, let alone teach it.

I think I'm most interested in Chalkdust. Have you researched that?

I have to choose something that includes a teacher. DH is very qualified to help with high school math homework as needed but he's not available to teach the course. I'm barely qualified to choose the course, let alone teach it.

No I haven't. Can it be done independantly?

No I haven't. Can it be done independantly?

Can Chalkdust be done independently? Answer: It depends on the child. That is how my oldest has done high school math. He watches the videos. Starting this year, he grades his work except tests and even then I mark what I "think" is wrong and he explains to me why it is or isn't. It works VERY well for him!

Chalkdust just didn't work for my middle son. Well, let me qualify.. Prealgebra did, but nothing after that. He couldn't use it independently. He zoned out during the lectures. He missed half the problems. I ended up having to sit with him, watch it with him, go over it with him, try to re-explain.. Son now has a hole in his wall from where he threw the Chalkdust Geometry book...

BJU has been a better fit for him.. We tried TT Geometry before Chalkdust, but he was getting C's and he was only on chapter 3... He is still making C's with BJU.. I'm just accepting that is what he will get.. But it is much more simply laid out and much easier to self-teach..

BJU has been a better fit for him.. We tried TT Geometry before Chalkdust, but he was getting C's and he was only on chapter 3... He is still making C's with BJU.. I'm just accepting that is what he will get.. But it is much more simply laid out and much easier to self-teach..

My younger DD uses BJU math and does very well with it. I call it Goldilocks Math - not too easy and not too hard.

As for using a math program that will be good for testing, I wouldn't count out TT. DD15 who detests math scored a 57 on her PSAT after completing TT Alg 1, half of TT Alg 2 and barely starting TT Geometry. She's only a freshman, so I hope her score improves significantly during the next two years, but 57 is in the 90th percentile compared to sophmores in our state. And here's a current thread from Jean in Wisc.'s success with using TT: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342424

If you want to research threads on BJU Geometry you might search for posts by Susan C. - she's used many levels of BJU math through high school.

Edited by amtmcm

Maybe he's just one of those super-duper math students? If so, they don't usually do *more* of the same level, but just advance forward at a faster pace.

My oldest son was in the UMPTYMP program at the U of Minnesota in 8th grade. They take kids (6th-12th graders) through two maths per year. For instance, my son did algebra 1 & algebra 2 in 8th grade. If he had stayed with the program, he would have been through all of calculus in high school.

My youngest son is on a little math team, and at the competitions there are a couple of very small kids in very advanced math. So I get the impression that this is still how it's done -- move them ahead if it's easy, not doing more of the same thing.

Julie