Menu

Earth Science for Elementary UGH!

coffeefreak

Just kill me now! I'll be honest, we NEVER did Earth Science the first time around with my oldest. We did Astronomy first semester, and then I never did find something that caught our interest for Earth Science second semester, and then I had surgery so we never did it! Now, I need to do Earth Science with my youngest who will be in 4th grade next year and I have absolutely no idea where to start. I'm using AIG with my oldest for Earth Science this year, but I really don't think that it's a good curriculum for 4th grade. Is there nothing out there? Apologia has nothing, RS4K has nothing, NOEO doesn't even have earth science! I have Christian Kids Explore, but I don't like it. It's boring. I don't know, maybe I'm being stubborn, but there's got to be something better. Kwim?

So, what have you got? What should we use? What has the Charlotte Mason feel with fun activities and experiments? What makes Earth Science fun?

Thanks!

Dorinda

Why do you need to do earth science?

ETA: That was unhelpful, wasn't it? You could do part of Noeo Chemistry, reading the book Geology Rocks! and doing the included experiments, and filling in the rest with the encyclopedia/Mysteries and Marvels of Science narrations and links. I'd suggest getting this kit, too. It's like a unit study with labs and worksheets, but has plenty of non-consumables to continue learning along with the books.

Edited by Lily_Grace

There is a vintage living book called Stories of Rocks and Minerals for the Grammar Grades by Harold W. Fairbanks. It is over a hundred years old, so a few discoveries have been made since then and so there are a couple inaccuracies (but I don't let that bother me, this isn't the only time they'll learn geology), but it is a delightful narrative. It also seems to have far more information than any elementary book on geology that I have ever seen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3i6VkgAACAAJ&dq=Stories+of+Rocks+and+Minerals+Fairbanks&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TbsiT-77FYrV0QGxmd2KCQ&ved=0CEMQ6AEwAA

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Rocks-Minerals-Grammar-Grades/dp/0217995578/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327676393&sr=8-1

Edited by Kalmia

I just received A Child's Geography by Ann Voskamp in the mail today so I can't really say what I think of it yet but it is Earth Science with a CM flavour and has suggestions for activities. It also includes a cd of "postcards" for notebooking, some maps, end of chapter review and copywork. I got for my dd who is 10.

Field trips make earth science fun. What region are you in? Most states have a variety of books about the local geology.

Most kids love banging on rocks with rock hammers and trying to identify minerals. When you say cm-style, do you want one book that summarizes the topic, or a selection of a variety of earth science topics?

Geology and earth science is my thing and I can ramble for pages, so I hestitate to start until I know which direction to go. :)

Ambleside Online recommends a vintage book called Madam How and Lady Why. It is available for free on Kindle. I just downloaded it myself and haven't had much of a chance to look at it, but you can do the "Look Inside" thing at Amazon on the hardcover book.

ETA: The Amazing Earth Model Book is good too - a lot of information presented in a hands-on manner.

Edited by momto2Cs

One thing you could use would be Science in a Nutshell: Rock Origins. You could use other of their kits, too, but they are pricey. The rock origins kit would help you cover all the basics. MSNucleus.org has a really good earth science program under their secondary listings. You might also like to pull some things from the primary listings. They have modules that you can read online (lots of pictures), or print out. They also include some labs and activities.

Here is K-6 of the Rock Cycle:

http://msnucleus.org/membership/html/k-6/rc/index.html

They also have water cycle and plate tectonic cycle.

And here is the secondary info:

http://msnucleus.org/membership/html/jh/earth/index.html

Each unit is pretty beefy.... Paired with additional library books on various topics and/or some science movies and you've got a program....

Why do you need to do earth science?

ETA: That was unhelpful, wasn't it? You could do part of Noeo Chemistry, reading the book Geology Rocks! and doing the included experiments, and filling in the rest with the encyclopedia/Mysteries and Marvels of Science narrations and links. I'd suggest getting this kit, too. It's like a unit study with labs and worksheets, but has plenty of non-consumables to continue learning along with the books.

:lol:

Actually, I find it funny because I've asked myself the same thing. I guess because we've done everything else. She's been tagging along with her sister up until this year. Right now, we're studying animals. Next year, I thought Earth Science would be a good pairing with Ancient History. I'm going to do Astronomy the next year with the middle ages.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Field trips make earth science fun. What region are you in? Most states have a variety of books about the local geology.

Most kids love banging on rocks with rock hammers and trying to identify minerals. When you say cm-style, do you want one book that summarizes the topic, or a selection of a variety of earth science topics?

Geology and earth science is my thing and I can ramble for pages, so I hestitate to start until I know which direction to go. :)

We live in the Southwest, which should make me more excited to do Earth Science, right? I guess I want a program that does all the research for me. You know, a jumping off point. I don't mind going to the library and pulling books that cover the topic we're studying, but I don't want to create everything myself (lesson plans, experiments etc). I'm going to look at R.E.A.L. science, and the other suggestions here. That sounds like a good place to start!

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

Dorinda

We live in the Southwest, which should make me more excited to do Earth Science, right? I guess I want a program that does all the research for me. You know, a jumping off point. I don't mind going to the library and pulling books that cover the topic we're studying, but I don't want to create everything myself (lesson plans, experiments etc). I'm going to look at R.E.A.L. science, and the other suggestions here. That sounds like a good place to start!

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

Dorinda

You are in the southwest? Awesome! In that case, I'd look into Geology of the Desert Southwest. It is written in an engaging style and has interesting projects and includes climate and geography.

I just received A Child's Geography by Ann Voskamp in the mail today so I can't really say what I think of it yet but it is Earth Science with a CM flavour and has suggestions for activities. It also includes a cd of "postcards" for notebooking, some maps, end of chapter review and copywork. I got for my dd who is 10.

:iagree:We are just starting ACG:1 and I'm very impressed with how thorough it is. However, I believe it takes a YE perspective, which may or may not suit your family. (we are NOT YE, but I plan to discuss that if and when we come to it) (I also just created this cute printable narration page this week to go along with it)

I also bought Mr. Q Earth Science in the sale last week and am pretty impressed with that.

Maybe I'm just easy to impress. :lol:

But really, Mr. Q is chatty and conversational, but there's real science, experiments, worksheets. It feels CM yet very complete.

We did earth science last year and really enjoyed it. We used the model book that was mentioned in a previous post, visited a cave, investigated local geology (state parks and roadside visits), made a rock collection, prepared the soil in our garden for planting, watched some movies, and checked out books at the library.

That said, if you hate all of that stuff, then skip it... Your kids will survive.

Last year ds completed a rocks and minerals unit, and he really enjoyed it. One great addition were the geology projects and readings in the book Science Smart. Truly a gem of a book, with meaningful and related projects. I am not a crafts person at all, but these projects are top-notch. Highly recommended, along with its companion book Nature Smart, both by Gwen Diehn. Next year we're doing the Geography projects and activities along with learning about countries through History.

We're using RSO Earth Science this year and at first I was completely turned off by it, but it's growing on me. I purchased the science kit, so I do have almost everything needed for the labs. What's missing (so far) has been common items like a big bowl. That said, if you go with this, you'll probably want an encyclopedia or two (I have a couple of Usborne books). What I wish I had done, as well, is scour the SL reading lists to see if there was anything else I wanted to add, but our budget ran out. The book itself does not have a ton of information, at least, not enough for us. Thus, the extra books. I've also been finding some interesting sites online to supp. as well.

Elemental Science is another option, that's the one I've been considering for us for next year.

I bought the Life Science one and was not impressed.

If the OP is looking for something with a CM feel, I wouldn't recommend ES because there's no "there there." It's not a book, at best it's a reading guide, though I suppose there are suggested activities. Plus, I found the "art" and "poetry" highly unprofessional and insulting, and there were lots of typos in the books. (though I did write my own poems which are available for free download for anyone who IS using Life Science!)

We used Evan Moor books for Earth Sciences. We did Geology first, then water cycle, currently doing weather (using lapbooks instead of Evan Moor) and then will do apologia astronomy and repeat fossils with a paleontology focus not a geology focus, this summer we will come back to an Evan Moor title for a study of soil. Of course we added labs and field trips too. Definitely no CM, but the kids enjoyed them.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! There are some FUN things you can use at that age for Earth Science! Just get something for your "spine", go the the library every few weeks for a new armload of books on various "go-along" topics, and enjoy lots of hands-on kits and experiments in the books!

spine ideas

- Usborne Encyclopedia of Planet Earth

- Geology Rocks: 50 Hands-On Activities for Exploring Planet Earth -- lots of hands-on, but enough info to use as a spine with other books as support

- Rader's free Earth Science website

- Exploring Planet Earth (Tiner) -- key scientists and discoveries in earth science

cool books

- National Geographic: Everything Rocks & Minerals (Tomecek)

- Planet Earth Inside Out (Gibbons)

- Magic School Bus: Inside Planet Earth (Cole)

- Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Explorer)

- loads of library books on volcanoes, earthquakes, caves, erosion, glaciers, biomes ("climate zones" -- desert, arctic, ocean, jungle, etc.)

hands-on activities, kits

- Janice Van Cleave's Earth Science for Every Kid

- gem and mineral excavation kit

- break your own geode kit

- rock kit

Edited by Lori D.

Wow! There are some FUN things you can use at that age for Earth Science! Just get something for your "spine", go the the library every few weeks for a new armload of books on various "go-along" topics, and enjoy lots of hands-on kits and experiments in the books!

spine ideas

- Usborne Encyclopedia of Planet Earth

- Geology Rocks: 50 Hands-On Activities for Exploring Planet Earth -- lots of hands-on, but enough info to use as a spine with other books as support

- Rader's free Earth Science website

- Exploring Planet Earth (Tiner) -- key scientists and discoveries in earth science

cool books

- National Geographic: Everything Rocks & Minerals (Tomecek)

- Planet Earth Inside Out (Gibbons)

- Magic School Bus: Inside Planet Earth (Cole)

- Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Explorer)

- loads of library books on volcanoes, earthquakes, caves, erosion, glaciers, biomes ("climate zones" -- desert, arctic, ocean, jungle, etc.)

hands-on activities, kits

- Janice Van Cleave's Earth Science for Every Kid

- gem and mineral excavation kit

- break your own geode kit

- rock kit

Excellent list!!!!! Sometimes I think looking for curriculum is like writer's block. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dorinda