Menu

Greek Myths...

What ages do you all feel the D'Auliere book is appropriate for? We are planning to start with Ancients in our 1st grade year. I skimmed it quickly and I'm not worried about the reading level. I saw mention of Zeus marrying girls to have children, but no explicit details. Is "marrying" as far as those descriptions go? Obviously how all these individuals come into being is important to these stories, but I'd like to avoid a play-by-play of any bedroom scenes. Are there any passages that might need special attention on my part?

My DD loves the Padric Colum versions of the Iliad, Odyssey, Jason and the Argonauts, and other tales. They're available free on Kindle.

Aaah! You're right! I was going to buy the Kindle version with the TOC but held off since I do have a couple of the books. It's easier for DD to read on the Kindle. Thanks!

Thank you! I ordered the Sutcliff books & D'aulaires from Amazon. We have the D'aulaires audio but the book would be ideal to have. Dd will be in heaven.

Do you have Famous Men of Greece? I have the version with colorful illustrations and DD loved reading it.

Edited by crazyforlatin

What ages do you all feel the D'Auliere book is appropriate for? We are planning to start with Ancients in our 1st grade year. I skimmed it quickly and I'm not worried about the reading level. I saw mention of Zeus marrying girls to have children, but no explicit details. Is "marrying" as far as those descriptions go? Obviously how all these individuals come into being is important to these stories, but I'd like to avoid a play-by-play of any bedroom scenes. Are there any passages that might need special attention on my part?

I don't recall anything explicit. I think it is fine for first grade and we're pretty conservative.

:iagree:

Do you have Famous Men of Greece? I have the version with colorful illustrations and DD loved reading it.

And... if you can handle listening to it, my son will listen to Librovox recordings of FMOG. I think we'll end up doing the whole series. I was also looking at MP yesterday; the older stuff is looking great, too!! :)