Menu

Mad Scientists Party Ideas

I did a science party many years ago. I had stations for observation set for when the kids were arriving. We had a bird's nest, brain made out of jello, a microscope set up and a few other things. Then, I had some experiments to do together. I probably got some from adventures with atoms and molecules.

My ds had a science party. We made slime (kids took a Ziplock bag of it home), and had fun with dry ice and canisters, where the dry ice caused the lid to pop off yards into the air (kids were supervised and wore goggles). We also did the Mentos and Coke in a soda bottle where it reacts like a geyser. Messy, but lots of fun!

Here is a link to his birthday dinner at our house (not his party) but it has a good picture of what we did for the tables:

http://threelittlejewells.com/2012/01/06/nathans-7th-birthay/

I got the glasses at Dollar Tree. We just used food coloring in the water & my husband brought home some dry ice. I have to say that Dollar Tree had a ton of stuff I needed for the party and it was all so cheap! There was instant snow in the kid's toys section as well as magnifying glasses. I also got the foil pans for containing the science mess there as well as the plastic containers for taking home their slime & snow.

One of the links on my pinterest page had a free printable invitation and printable stickers- we used those and it was very cute.

For gift bags we put in Pop Rocks, Mentos, magnifying glass, their containers of snow & slime and test tubes full of m&m's.

Steve Spangler Science was a great resource and fairly cheap. I was able to order a bag of "baby soda bottles" (which look like test tubes!) for much cheaper than regular test tubes. I also used their glow-in-the-dark slime and their instant snow (I didn't know I could get it at Dollar Tree).

I have a friend that just did a Mad Scientist party and it was really cute. I went over to FB to see what some of her crafts/snacks/etc. were and while scrolling through to find her post I managed to stick my foot right in the middle of a big obnoxious politics vs. religion debate.

So, I have no ideas for you because I'm running from fb with my tail tucked. Maybe it's time to go to bed.

ETA: I do remember she got "nerd" glasses for all the kids as party favors - Oriental Trading maybe?

Is dry ice terriby expensive

I think it is maybe $1-2 per pound or so - not terribly expensive, if you can find it in a 5-10 pound block. I forget where we got it last year, but it was someplace easy - Walmart or Alberstons or something?? :)

The cake turned out very neat (although it was time-consuming to decorate). I used a curved-bottom bundt pan to bake in, then flipped it upside down and stuck a pvc pipe in through the top (with a pvc cap on the bottom of it - make sure to do that first!!). Then I iced all the way up the pipe and used green goo icing at the bottom (so it looked full of stuff). Put little marking for measurements on the side and poof!

In fact, it looked basically like this - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cool-science-experiments.com/resources/Birthday_Cake/Mad-Science-Birthday-Cake3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cool-science-experiments.com/index/best-science-birthday-cake&h=2700&w=1800&sz=410&tbnid=zD4FfIrjeAo6qM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=67&zoom=1&docid=SmG5vHKR--Z7qM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MzYiT7KIDeb10gH6h9nZCA&ved=0CE0Q9QEwBQ&dur=357best-science-birthday-cake&h=2700&w=1800&sz=410&tbnid=zD4FfIrjeAo6qM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=67&zoom=1&docid=SmG5vHKR--Z7qM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MzYiT7KIDeb10gH6h9nZCA&ved=0CE0Q9QEwBQ&dur=357best-science-birthday-cake&h=2700&w=1800&sz=410&tbnid=zD4FfIrjeAo6qM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=67&zoom=1&docid=SmG5vHKR--Z7qM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MzYiT7KIDeb10gH6h9nZCA&ved=0CE0Q9QEwBQ&dur=357

We also did the Mentos and Coke in a soda bottle where it reacts like a geyser. Messy, but lots of fun!

I am pretty sure the Mentos and Coke is mandatory for a science party. Probably required by law. If it isn't, it should be. ;) Never fails to amuse. My daughter reports that Diet Coke works better than regular, and warm Coke better than cold.

Terri

I am pretty sure the Mentos and Coke is mandatory for a science party. Probably required by law. If it isn't, it should be. ;) Never fails to amuse. My daughter reports that Diet Coke works better than regular, and warm Coke better than cold.

Terri

Well that is great but I hope she experimented outside :lol: