Menu

American Girl Magazine? Any subscribers?

My DD gets it. I like it a lot. Usually there are good age-appropriate articles on etiquitte, a short story, fun recipes/crafts/games, and no ads. Also a pull out section with poster, coloring sheet, cards, or something similar. She is 11 now but has enjoyed it since about age 9.

Is it ate appropriate for an 8 yo? Or interesting for that age? Almost DD8 is not into little girl stuff, and fancies herself "grown up". Trying to discourage that. Want her to grow up but not to become GROWN up IYKWIM.

My 10yo enjoys it. She said it would be appropriate for an 8yo, but she doesn't think it would be interesting to an 8yo. Her justification for that statement was kind of vague, so take from it what you want. ;)

She loves the quizzes where you answer random questions and find out what kind of dessert you are, or things like that. She also likes the crafts.

Edited by Julianna
adding more detail

My 11 yo likes it and says that she thinks an 8 yo would enjoy it---"There are a lot of fun crafts, good stories and fun pictures in it."

Another possibility, if your daughter is into fashion at all, is Kiki. It's very age-appropriate for young tweens, no boy-girl relationship stuff, gossip, etc and no ads that I can recall. http://www.kikimag.com/

My exceptional reader has been devouring AG magazine from the library since she was 7. She would beg me to take her to the library the day it was due in so that she could be the first to check it out. She loved all of the articles and the craft ideas and the contests. She is constantly making pictures to mail in :)

She is now 9.5. All she wanted for Christmas was her own subscription (I don't know why I hadn't thought of getting it before...) and she is thrilled to finally have her own copies that she can cut out of and circle the answers to the questions in!

I probably will let her keep this one long term. I like it too. We have gotten some good party ideas, cake ideas, craft ideas, and occasionally some hair style ideas from it that we have done together.

My year old absolutely LOVES it!! She has been getting it for about two years, I think. She has done at least three of the party ideas, and has done many many of the recipes and crafts. She also loves the quizzes. She has sent in several photos and things for contest submissions, although none have been published.

She told me recently, that even though it talks about school, it's kind of like a magazine for homeschoolers, because it doesn't talk about pop music and movies and boys and make-up and things, and she likes that.

We just got the renewal card this week, and she begged me to renew for two years. She absolutely loves not only the magazine, but their non-fiction books as well.