Menu

read alouds

HappyLady

I just read aloud to my children and try not to make it too much like a lesson. Some days my dd5 asks to read the book (she is a strong reader and started early) so I may let her take the reigns. But generally I really try to make sure I am the designated reader for large portions of our read aloud. I want my girls to pick up the nuances of reading out loud: changing voices and reading with real emotion. My dd5 is just getting to the point where she can do this fairly comfortably and accurately but I want to make "Mommy-reading" a staple of our day.

During the day we do picture books and board books to keep the attention of my younger two kids. At night before bed we do one more picture book and follow that with a chapter book for my older daughter.

I do not stop and ask questions unless I feel some plot of the story got confusing. For example, my dh was dying to introduce the girls to Tolkien so he read them the Hobbit this year. He did half a chapter a night. We would summarize together at the end of the reading because that book was a bit of a stretch for them... but we never try to make it feel "school-y" or like a pop quiz.

I just read aloud to my children and try not to make it too much like a lesson. Some days my dd5 asks to read the book (she is a strong reader and started early) so I may let her take the reigns. But generally I really try to make sure I am the designated reader for large portions of our read aloud. I want my girls to pick up the nuances of reading out loud: changing voices and reading with real emotion. My dd5 is just getting to the point where she can do this fairly comfortably and accurately but I want to make "Mommy-reading" a staple of our day.

During the day we do picture books and board books to keep the attention of my younger two kids. At night before bed we do one more picture book and follow that with a chapter book for my older daughter.

I do not stop and ask questions unless I feel some plot of the story got confusing. For example, my dh was dying to introduce the girls to Tolkien so he read them the Hobbit this year. He did half a chapter a night. We would summarize together at the end of the reading because that book was a bit of a stretch for them... but we never try to make it feel "school-y" or like a pop quiz.

Did she like the Hobbit? I want to do it with dd who is a very very mature 4 year old

Depends on the book, and the kids. Sometimes I do stop to explain something, or to summarize a lengthy and confusing paragraph. I think it's good for them to hear language and sentence structure that is above their own reading levels, but I also don't want them to be confused. Sometimes it can be a little frustrating, but it's worth it. (DH spent a lot of time stopping to explain The Hobbit to then-4yo DS1, but in return, DS1 loved it and did indeed understand the story.)

We often stop and discuss our read alouds. We're trying to model interaction and thinking with a book. Our evening book is generally a stretch for the children (purposefully) and my husband and I will discuss difficult vocabulary, plot points, emphasize word choice and phrasing, whatever we think is interesting about the book, how it is written, or the content. But, that's how I read on my own, often annotating even novels and interacting with the author.

Did she like the Hobbit? I want to do it with dd who is a very very mature 4 year old

My dd LOVED it. I blogged about it here because she went on to draw pictures of it during the day. She really seemed to enjoy it. When I tried filling in for daddy one night and reading it to her she got a bit annoyed at my lack of vocal ability. My Gollum was sadly lacking. :001_smile:

DH made a point to summarize at the beginning of a reading (to recap last night).

I do believe that the ending caught her a bit off guard with some of the main characters' deaths. It's really one of the first stories we read where that has happened so we talked about it and she seemed fine.

The book was way over my dd3's head but she stayed in the room with them the whole time. She would generally fall asleep before my dh finished but she obviously caught some of it because when we were going on her alphabet the other day the Letter E popped up with a picture of an elf. She got all excited and said "OH like the elves on the Hobbit!"

We just watched the 70's cartoon and my dd5 and dd3 LOVED it. I was surprised because I thought it had some dark scenes.

If your child has a decent attention span I would give it a try!

We use the same idea for read alouds as with books our children read on their own...some books are below level for fun. All my dc love to listen to me read to our 2 year old. Books like Going On a Bear Hunt, Madeline and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom are favorites.

Then I read aloud books that are on level for most of them and that they will understand without much explanation. For us, this would be along the lines of Charlotte's Web, Stories From Grandma's Attic or a missionary biography.

Lastly, we read aloud challenging books which require explanation along the way. Currently, this would be Understood Betsy for us.

For clarification, we don't read the on level or above level at the same time. And with either, I almost always ask questions or for a short narration just to make sure they aren't lost in the story. This also helps the younger ones understand some things they might have missed when the older ones retell. HTH and happy reading!