Menu

Quick - How would you punctuate this???

My Girl Scouts are more important than jewels; they need money more than I need pearls.

Though I'm not really a fan of the semicolon, it does work that way. You could separate the above into two sentences as well.

That's my totally on-the-fly first suggestion. Give me a minute and I may have something better (though by the time I do, someone else will have given you something good)!

How would you punctuate this:

"Jewels are not important, but my Girl Scouts are, they need money more

than I need pearls".

Is it correct the way that it is? It could be broken into two sentences, but that still leaves that awkward are...

I would say, "Jewels are not important to me. My Girl Scouts are important to me. They need money more than I need pearls."

My Girl Scouts are more important than jewels; they need money more than I need pearls.

Though I'm not really a fan of the semicolon, it does work that way. You could separate the above into two sentences as well.

That's my totally on-the-fly first suggestion. Give me a minute and I may have something better (though by the time I do, someone else will have given you something good)!

I actually LOVE me some semicolon; I think that works nicely. :D

I like this best.

How would you punctuate this:

"Jewels are not important, but my Girl Scouts are, they need money more

than I need pearls".

Is it correct the way that it is? It could be broken into two sentences, but that still leaves that awkward are...

Those are two complete sentences. They must either be written as two sentences, or joined with a semicolon, or rewritten completely to make one sentence.

Jewels are not important, but my Girl Scouts are; they need money more than I need pearls.

I don't understand why someone would not like a semicolon. :001_huh: Sorry.

If this was testimony in a transcript (where I couldn't just change it), I would punctuate it this way: "Jewels are not important, but my Girl Scouts are; they need money more than I need pearls." You have two independent clauses there, so if there is no conjunction you need a semi-colon.

I don't understand why someone would not like a semicolon. :001_huh: Sorry.

Because I am a technical writer/editor and I witness semicolon abuse every day. (I have yet to find a tactful way to explain that excessive semicolon use does not make one appear more intelligent. Neither does the word "utilize.")

It's an absolutely unfair bias, I'll admit that much. :lol: