Menu

Awesome tips you've learned from OTs?

I've learned some great things over the years from working with different OTs....and so many of those things could easily be used by parents.

Anyone want to share an awesome technique you learned?

Here's something I learned about teaching handwriting: I learned that you can take sculpting clay and put it in a large lid (like a 32 oz yogurt lid) and have that become a space for writing with a pencil. I often trace a letter onto the clay and my ds writes over it. The resistance from the clay offers more feedback to his brain and helps improve his muscle memory.

Writing on a chalkboard, in sand or in rice also offer more procioreceptor feedback than writing on paper or on a whiteboard. Drag = good.

1. Weighted vests and lap animals are your friends :)
  2. Teach your child to verbalize what he needs (i.e., to spin, to jump, to swaddle) and provide appropriate outlets so he's not jumping off of furniture when you don't want him to.
  3. Read Carol Kranowitz's books.
  4. Grease markers are better than dry erase for re-usable writing surfaces (because drag is indeed better).

Another tip for letter formation- stand up at an easel to practice writing letters. It avoids problems with sitting posture, which some kids have difficulty maintaining for an extended time. It uses the large muscles of the shoulder to enhance muscle memory, and it gives a gravity assist on downward motions, reminding kids about letters that need to start at the top.

Too bad I only learned this one within the last 6 months, at a seminar- way too late to use it for my son!

We just started OT with my daughter and the one thing that is working for us right now is sticker Charts in the order of what comes next for the day. This takes the transition stress out because she knows when she puts the sticker on she can see what comes next and can get ready.

We also have an energy chart which we put stickers on when she goes from red cheetah to green turtle. This helps her to clam herself and she gets a sticker for every time she accomplishes it. Her therapist praises her for the amount of stickers that she gets which makes her OT appointment start off on a positive note.

I did not know about the standing up writing i will try that THank YOu. We are just now in the process of figuring out what the challenges are that my daughter has with Children's so i will be checking back for more advice. I will also look into the weighted vest for my son Thanks again.

Leslie

HOmeschooler of two treasures DS 9 and DD 7

I've learned that it's okay for my son to play with food, because playing with food is a step towards actually eating (or just staying in the same room when it's on the table).

On her advice, we bought a sensory seat cushion (a "Disc O Sit") for his school desk, and it's made a HUGE difference in his ability to do schoolwork and sit at the dinner table. He doesn't knock his chair over nearly as much as he used to. :D

My older kids tend to do things for my little guy, because they're sweet kids, and don't like to see him get upset. But, it's tough for them to know when he should be allowed to struggle through something himself, and when it's okay to help.

Our OT recently suggested making a chart called "What a 6 Year Old Can Do," with pictures of the things that I want him to do by himself, even when it's hard. They include mostly practical life skills (putting on pants, drying his hands, getting his own utensils, etc.) The chart helps the older kids know when they shouldn't interfere, and helps me encourage my little guy when he gets frustrated. ("The chart says you can do it!") We'll add things to the chart as he develops new skills.

Theraputty. It comes in different levels of firmness and helps build finger strength and coordination. Our OT would hide little beads, pennies, tiny animals, sequins, beans and other little things in it and have ds squish it around until he'd found them all (she'd count them first so he knew when he'd be done). You can start out with the softest and work up. You can also do this with playdough or silly putty, but ds wouldn't touch those things because they left a residue on his hands (fast trip to a meltdown in those days). The theraputty didn't leave a residue.

We also use putty, sensory balls and exercises before seated writing work. Also I let my ds bounce on a ball while doing seated work. Our ot has given us a grip for eating utensils which has made a world of difference. Also we used a large three ring binder as a slant work for handwriting practice. It really helped and my ds doesn't need to use it anymore. I haven't heard about the drag effect when writing---my ds avoids crayons like the plague and much prefers markers. Likely because it's easier, which I thought was a good thing. Looking into grease pencils.

One of the best things the OT taught me was that giving Dd something for her mouth to do would increase her ability to focus.

Other things:

Heavy work is necessary for her.

She needs to move when she's learning.

She also needs to move to calm herself - often by spinning or hanging upside down.

Fidgets are our friends.

What I learned myself:

Exercise balls make fabulous seats.

Our OT recently suggested making a chart called "What a 6 Year Old Can Do," with pictures of the things that I want him to do by himself, even when it's hard. They include mostly practical life skills (putting on pants, drying his hands, getting his own utensils, etc.) The chart helps the older kids know when they shouldn't interfere, and helps me encourage my little guy when he gets frustrated. ("The chart says you can do it!") We'll add things to the chart as he develops new skills.

Thank you for sharing that! I spent the afternoon with ds putting together a poster board about all the things he can do himself. Then I had him go thru some pictures and pick out three goals he would like to work on, we put those under the title "what I am learning now". He is really excited about accomplishing them and adding them to the "what I can do" side. Now I have to find some wall space to hang it up.....