Menu

Need help choosing something for 4th grade grammar and writing

Ds will be in 4th grade next year, and I need to choose something for grammar and writing for him.

He has used FLL 1/2 and 3 as well as The Sentence Family, and he's getting a lot of grammar this year in Lively Latin. He tolerates FLL, but it is not his favorite.

We've also used WWE 1,2, and 3, yet this series frustrates him. He really enjoys the stories, but there are tears when it comes to the dictation.

I've thought about using FLL4 with IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating, but I would love to hear what you all are using for 4th grade grammar and writing for comparison. (I think the dictation in WWE is helping him overall, so I don't want to abandon it altogether... just need it to be a little less challenging than WWE.) I am more interested in using something that will help him with outlining and eventually expository/argumentative writing vs. creative writing. For this reason, I *think* programs like Writing Tales might be out.

I have WWS ready for this ds when he is in either 5th or 6th grade... whenever he is ready for it.

Ds is bright. He catches onto grammar fairly easily, and his writing is coming along nicely. He is definitely working on/above grade level. I'm not trying to push him above his frustration level but simply give him the next step.... and I'd like him to enjoy his schoolwork. :001_smile:

What are you using for 4th grade grammar and writing???

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

With my daughter I plan to use MCT Grammar Island (grammar, writing, poetry and vocabulary). I plan to also continue WWE.

My daughter struggles with the dictation also but I simply break it up. We went through some struggles with the narrations too but that has since been resolved.

Remember, a program doesn't have to be cut and dry. Make the books you chose to use work for your child, in the way they need them to be.

As a side note, I also plan to continue on with WWS along side MCT.

Edited by manyblessings

Ds will be in 4th grade next year, and I need to choose something for grammar and writing for him.

He has used FLL 1/2 and 3 as well as The Sentence Family, and he's getting a lot of grammar this year in Lively Latin. He tolerates FLL, but it is not his favorite.

We've also used WWE 1,2, and 3, yet this series frustrates him. He really enjoys the stories, but there are tears when it comes to the dictation.

I've thought about using FLL4 with IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating, but I would love to hear what you all are using for 4th grade grammar and writing for comparison. (I think the dictation in WWE is helping him overall, so I don't want to abandon it altogether... just need it to be a little less challenging than WWE.) I am more interested in using something that will help him with outlining and eventually expository/argumentative writing vs. creative writing. For this reason, I *think* programs like Writing Tales might be out.

I have WWS ready for this ds when he is in either 5th or 6th grade... whenever he is ready for it.

Ds is bright. He catches onto grammar fairly easily, and his writing is coming along nicely. He is definitely working on/above grade level. I'm not trying to push him above his frustration level but simply give him the next step.... and I'd like him to enjoy his schoolwork. :001_smile:

What are you using for 4th grade grammar and writing???

My 4th grader is using WWE4 and Imitations in Writing. The dictation is hard for him, and I modify it. I'm hoping that he improves this year, because it (holding things in his head) is a skill he needs work on. But I don't know if he'll ever be able to do the dictation as written. He's using R&S4 for grammar, and he does the writing in it as well.

• 4 weeks later...

We got both SWI-A and ATFF--I plan to return ATFF as it seems redundant and to me SWI-A seems better. Major differences: ATFF is less expensive and less intensive and doesn't have Andrew on DVD...

ATFF also seems less, not sure how to put it... Well, here are some specific comparisons: The 1st selection in SWI-A is on sea snakes--which we personally knew nothing about and which sent us to look up more and notice a picture when one showed up in a magazine recently. The first selection in ATFF was on "floating rocks"--it seemed like a younger child targeted presentation on meteors (never used the word meteors-but we already knew a fair bit about meteors, and so it seemed like it was kindergarten stuff). Between the two SWI had more fascination to it for my child, but ATFF might be better for a younger one. So far, if it matters to you in either direction, SWI-A is also seeming more secular and more toward a scientific presentation in addition to seeming targeted to a higher age/interest level--technically I think they are both supposed to be for same age and level, but in reality it did not seem so.

Just a suggestion to make Grammar more fun - my 4th grader and I are taking a little break from FLL4 (it gets a little boring with all the repetition, although I think it is an excellent grammar program) and we're doing Grammar Land, a free vintage resource. She loves it, and she has really consolidated her grammar knowledge, and seems to be retaining it much better. I think it is totally worth doing with a language-loving kid at this age . . .

Just a suggestion to make Grammar more fun - my 4th grader and I are taking a little break from FLL4 (it gets a little boring with all the repetition, although I think it is an excellent grammar program) and we're doing Grammar Land, a free vintage resource. She loves it, and she has really consolidated her grammar knowledge, and seems to be retaining it much better. I think it is totally worth doing with a language-loving kid at this age . . .

Hi. Do you print out Grammar Land from Google books? Or how do you do it?

-------------------------------

Edited by Pen