Menu

Failure at cuttings (african violets) but not THIS time!!! :)

I have tried to root hummingbird vine, other african violets, even transplant bulbs...just never works out. My mother has a beautiful african violet that has been passed on for three generations...incredible purple curly blooms...so pretty! We know for sure it came from my great-grandmother and my grandmother said she thought that same plant had come from her grandmother. It's just been passed on. I've always wanted to try and grow it but didn't want another failure. So, at Christmas I took a leaf and wrapped it in a wet paper towel and put it in a zip lock bag for the 3 hour ride home. I bought soil for an african violet and a special pot and put that one leaf in the pot. All through this month I have watched it carefully, just laying there on the edge of the pot...it didn't seem as if it was dying, but it didn't seem as if it was 'happy' either. My grandmother passed on the 13th of this month, on the 16th we went to her funeral about 2 hours away. When we returned the one single leaf was STANDING STRAIGHT UP!! I mean STRAIGHT UP!!...It's been over a week now and it is still standing straight up!

I know I've managed to kill every rooting before, but somehow I think this one got some supernatural help! :) As soon as it sprouts leaves and starts blooming, I'll share pictures!! :) Just had to share, it's brightened up every day and the kids are just marvelling at the timing! :)

Aw, that is so sweet!

I have some variety of African Violet that is insanely prolific. Insanely! I hate to admit it, but I just tossed out some of it because it's enough babies already! This thing is the Duggar variety or something! :D

Aw, that is so sweet!

I have some variety of African Violet that is insanely prolific. Insanely! I hate to admit it, but I just tossed out some of it because it's enough babies already! This thing is the Duggar variety or something! :D

wow! Do you do anything special? Fertilize or what sun o they get, I truly would hate to mess this one up, my mom seems to just water hers and she has blooms all year round, her window faces east...my only east facing window is in the bathroom...not sure what to do...her plant probably has 50 leaves on it easily...it is so pretty!

I don't have any suggestions, but this reminds me of my great-grandma. She had what seemed like hundreds of African violets in her house, all colors and sizes. She would pull off a leaf, stick it into dirt (whatever she had around) and it would grow and bloom. She always gave me cuttings, but I couldn't get them to grow. I still am not successful. I guess I didn't inherit the green thumb or the right windows. But African violets always make me remember my great-grandma.

I hope your plant thrives!