Menu

What are your favorites for preschool?

RainbowSprinkles

After looking at The Letter of the Week program by Confessions of a Homeschooler and then getting some reviews here, I don't think this is something I'd be interested in. The ink cost and doing the same thing over and over is what's putting me off. That said, I do want something to do for my just turned 3 year old DS come fall.

What have been your favorites for preschoolers? Resources, toys, etc..? I know about the counting coconuts blog and especially love the sensory tub ideas.

I already have some of the Leap Frog DVD's and will be using them. I'll continue reading aloud to him. He has a play-kitchen he enjoys and a ton of lego duplo blocks he loves.

He's very interested in arts and crafts. He loves to draw and paint and cut. What kind of art supplies should I keep on hand, besides paper, crayons, waterpaints and scissors? I do need to stock back up.

My three year old loves paint daubers, and I recently found you can print activity sheets that use them online. She also loves any of the Lauri stuff Rainbow Resource sells-especially the foam puzzles and the peg stackers. Those plastic gear sets are also a hit. She has her own little dry erase board that she likes to draw on too.

I didn't get much use out of it thanks to dd's asynchronous development, but I do like AAR pre-1. For a child just starting to learn letters, it would be great. A bit spendy, though, because you absolutely have to buy the zebra puppet. :D

We've done FIAR off and on, and it's a good program if you can get ahold of the books and have a child who can do a lot of reading and talking.

For Waldorfy families, the Little Acorn Learning guides have a lot of fun stuff in them.

We have Explode the Code books A, B, and C too, and dd has a lot of fun with them.

Dd loves playing on Starfall, too. As do all three-year-olds, I think. :tongue_smilie:

A lot of what's been mentioned:

Just read good books aloud as much as possible, FIAR and SL P3/4 are great resources.

HWT preK w the manipulatives- wooden letters, the magna doodle type thing, etc.

Lauri toys, Haba toys like this and the wooden blocks they make.

Fun math stuff: geoboards, a math balance, counting bears, pattern blocks. Look up math games and just have fun. The 3 Rs by Ruth Beechick has nice ideas for incorporating math and language skills naturally throughout the course of the day.

ETA:

My kids loved the Kumon First Steps workbooks at that age and could do a lot of it on their own while I worked with an older kid. Like this one.

We also enjoyed the Rod and Staff preschool workbooks.

Art supplies, we had these on hand:

do a dot art

sponges, scrapers and rollers for painting w different textures

washable tempura paint

water color pencils

smocks

clay

playdough

tools for clay and playdough

feathers, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, glitter (if you're brave!), old magazines, pom poms, and anything that seemed good for collages and crafts

glue sticks- much less messy than glue or paste

tape for when glue won't do

paper bags (like lunch sacks)

paper plates

washable markers

crayons and beeswax crayons

colored pencils

Edited by Annie Laurie

Saxon Math K w/ manipulatives and meeting book

Building Thinking Skills Beginning

R & S Preschool wookbooks A-F w/ Bible storybook

AAR PL1

Classical Conversations

Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization (IEW)

First Catechism (CLP)

AWANA

Suzuki Violin

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know

And I will probably love MP Preschool program and read aloud set when it comes out soon.

stm4him

I think I responded to your post yesterday, but I'll re-post my ideas here:

Now I'm doing a mix of HOD - Little Hands to Heaven, A to Z Toddler and Preschool Curriculum, Letter of the Week Preschool Curriculum by Brightly Beaming Resources, Read to Me & ABC (using her craft, and Let's Make a Memory ideas).

This isn't along the letter a week theme, but this book has some great ideas to go along with story books. Not sure if it's in print anymore, but you could get a used copy from ebay or amazon.

Picture Book Activities: Fun and Games for Preschoolers Based on 50 Favorite Children's Books by Trish Kuffner

Some other ideas:

Before Five in a Row

Playdough

Lauri toys and puzzles

Lacing

Large Beads

Pattern blocks printable patterns

Magnetic Mosaics

Anything sorting

Do A Dot Art

Busy Bags

Busy Boxes

Activity Bags

Workboxables

Craft Supply List

Tons of craft ideas at No Time For Flashcards

www.1plus1plus1plus1equals1.com has a TON of great resources for this age!I am not sure where your dc is developmentally, but I would check out her Tot School resources for different educational toys and such. Also, the tot School printables are what I'm using with my ds (2.5). She also has a preschool program called Rising Rock Stars Preschool that has some good resources as well. Check it out!

Andrea

• 1 month later...