Menu

Anyone here know official DOD position?

Neither DOD or overseas American schools accept home school credits.

Actually none of the local public or private high schools do either, although I've heard of cases where they negotiated math and foreign language credit on the basis of placement scores. Just credit though, no grade points.

I took a deep breath when we started high school because there is really no turning back if you want a diploma without having to repeat classes!

I put my son in a DOD high school half way through the school year and he graduated that year on honor roll. But was given credit for only half the year.

Obviously, he knew bio and algebra well enough to graduate on honor roll.

Would I have grounds to pursue credit for the first half or is it a lost cause?

I just assumed it would not be a problem because our public high schools in GA accepted a certain number of HS credits - some of the HSs made the students test for I and one I know didn't.

Anyone here know official DOD position on DOD high schools accepting high school home school credit/transcripts?

I found this searching "DODEA homeschool high school credit transfer" . I think you want to make sure DODEA is one of the search terms. Otherwise the main results seemed to be about joining the military as a homeschool graduate.

It has several paragraphs about accepting credits from non-accredited programs. It seems like it is mostly at the discretion of the principal.

Does the base you're thinking of have a School Liaison? I found they were a good resource, especially since they seemed to work for the base command structure rather than DODEA.

That is not true. Lots of overseas American schools accept homeschool credits including my school. I do not know about DOD.

In my circles "American School" refers to a school overseas with U.S. State Department involvement. They are also called "International Schools" in some locations. They do not accept homeschool credits in all but a few very unusual cases. This is a big issue among local families I know because if you take an overseas posting, you have to make a decision about schooling based on this type of concern unless there is a local alternative or you continue homeschooling.

I found this searching "DODEA homeschool high school credit transfer" . I think you want to make sure DODEA is one of the search terms. Otherwise the main results seemed to be about joining the military as a homeschool graduate.

It has several paragraphs about accepting credits from non-accredited programs. It seems like it is mostly at the discretion of the principal.

Does the base you're thinking of have a School Liaison? I found they were a good resource, especially since they seemed to work for the base command structure rather than DODEA.

Thank you Sebastian. I think we might have a new liaison. I will check and see if he or she can be of any help.

What you posted looks hopeful ...

Thank you Sebastian. I think we might have a new liaison. I will check and see if he or she can be of any help.

What you posted looks hopeful ...

I also asked a friend from our last duty station. She has a high schooler and her dh teaches in DoDEA, so she's usually pretty up on things.

She did say that she had no problem with getting the DoDEA high school to accept his transcript, for the purpose of his attending on partial enrollment. But I don't know if that would follow for the purpose of someone entering DoDEA schools with the intent of completing the course of instruction and graduating with a DoDEA diploma.

You might need to sit down and have some lengthy and repeated conversations.

FWIW, I found that the DoDEA office staff and even guidance counselors were not the best informed of what was allowable in unusual circumstances. It pays to have instructions in hand, tell them exactly what end goal you want and ask how you can (together) make it happen.

In my circles "American School" refers to a school overseas with U.S. State Department involvement. They are also called "International Schools" in some locations. They do not accept homeschool credits in all but a few very unusual cases. This is a big issue among local families I know because if you take an overseas posting, you have to make a decision about schooling based on this type of concern unless there is a local alternative or you continue homeschooling.

But since "international schools" or "American schools" are typically private schools operating outside of the host nation regulations for public schools, they do have lattitude to draw their own conclusions about accepting homeschooled credits.

For example, I quick checked one of the schools from a previous post. They can accept a student on a probationary basis. Nothing specific that I saw about homeschooling in particular. But if they are in the position of making sense of credits earned in a variety of home countries, I think they are able to make sense of homeschooling, should they choose to.

But I do agree that it's not something you don't necessarily want to gamble on unless you're comfortable being told no and being in the position of having to complete high school at home.

I think in this age, the appellation "American school" applies more to a traditional affiliation or a curriculum style (for example, IB prep vs. British upper level exams vs. Abitur). To my knowledge, there isn't an entity that certifies a school as qualifying as an "American school". I've been out of that arena for some years now, but I also thought that State had gotten out of the practice of putting a stamp of approval on specific schools other than that they met minimums for having tuition paid for.