Menu

I think we figured out our school problem.

I posted before about our terrible ps here. Then, this last weekend there were two shootings way to close to us. That was the last straw.

We're moving to the next county north of here. Dh will have a longer commute to work, but my commute will likely be shorter when I go to work. The schools are better and the cost of living is less. In addition, the schools use Wilson Reading and their website shows that they are really proactive with reading disorders.

Our lease is up here at the end of February, so we will start looking this weekend for a new rental. I printed the map that shows the elementary districts we are interested in, so we'll ride around those areas looking at what is available.

I posted before about our terrible ps here. Then, this last weekend there were two shootings way to close to us. That was the last straw.

We're moving to the next county north of here. Dh will have a longer commute to work, but my commute will likely be shorter when I go to work. The schools are better and the cost of living is less. In addition, the schools use Wilson Reading and their website shows that they are really proactive with reading disorders.

Our lease is up here at the end of February, so we will start looking this weekend for a new rental. I printed the map that shows the elementary districts we are interested in, so we'll ride around those areas looking at what is available.

Renee,

Are you moving to Person County, or perhaps to Granville or Orange? We, too, escaped from Durham. Based on what you said about the murders, I wonder if you currently live in the Parkwood area. That's where we lived. Anyhow, we moved to Hillsborough, so let me know if perchance you are in this area. If you don't want to post it on the forum, feel free to PM.

What happened with your DH and the situation at his job? I meant to check your thread, but I don't come here every day so I often get "lost."

Susan

Renee,

Are you moving to Person County, or perhaps to Granville or Orange? We, too, escaped from Durham. Based on what you said about the murders, I wonder if you currently live in the Parkwood area. That's where we lived. Anyhow, we moved to Hillsborough, so let me know if perchance you are in this area. If you don't want to post it on the forum, feel free to PM.

What happened with your DH and the situation at his job? I meant to check your thread, but I don't come here every day so I often get "lost."

Susan

Uhhhh, no. Not in Parkwood thank goodness!!! And to think that that used to be a "good" part of town when I was in high school.:001_huh: Dh's supervisor suggested Parkwood to him because there was a 4 bedroom for $800 a month. No thanks. There have been 2 murders there in the past few months!

We live off of Roxboro Rd, headed out of the city limits. The shootings were at the McDonalds at Roxboro Rd/Duke St and then a little while later on Roxboro Rd near the hospital. Too close for me!

I think we're headed to Granville County (just realized that is east, not north.:tongue_smilie:) Person puts me pretty far from most accounting jobs, but from Creedmoor I could get to Durham and Raleigh easily. Orange is good, but I really want to be more centrally located to give me the most options for places to work. From Butner/Creedmoor I can take 85 to 70 to 540 pretty easily.

The situation at dh's job worked out well. Two of the supervisors backed him up and it turns out that the guy accusing him had a problem with the same thing in the department he transferred from. It ended up being a non-issue, but was nerve-racking for a little while.

Uhhhh, no. Not in Parkwood thank goodness!!! And to think that that used to be a "good" part of town when I was in high school.:001_huh: Dh's supervisor suggested Parkwood to him because there was a 4 bedroom for $800 a month. No thanks. There have been 2 murders there in the past few months!

Yep, Parkwood has gone downhill for sure. And to think, we stayed there on purpose because Parkwood Elementary used to be a good school.

We live off of Roxboro Rd, headed out of the city limits. The shootings were at the McDonalds at Roxboro Rd/Duke St and then a little while later on Roxboro Rd near the hospital. Too close for me!

It is unnerving anytime you hear about a murder in your area. It seems to me that there have been a lot in Durham lately, but maybe I've been more attuned to it.

I think we're headed to Granville County (just realized that is east, not north.:tongue_smilie:) Person puts me pretty far from most accounting jobs, but from Creedmoor I could get to Durham and Raleigh easily. Orange is good, but I really want to be more centrally located to give me the most options for places to work. From Butner/Creedmoor I can take 85 to 70 to 540 pretty easily.

I think Creedmore is a nice place to live. I used to have a friend who lived there. And I agree, it is central.

The situation at dh's job worked out well. Two of the supervisors backed him up and it turns out that the guy accusing him had a problem with the same thing in the department he transferred from. It ended up being a non-issue, but was nerve-racking for a little while.

I'm glad it worked out for him!

And good luck with your upcoming move. If you change your mind and move to Orange, let me know! I don't know anybody homeschooling here in Hillsborough yet. I guess I haven't gone out of my way to look, either.