Menu

Finding your passion.

For those of you who are passionate about a hobby, subject, issue, etc.

What is it?

What brought you to it?

How often do you get involved with it?

I have been contemplating about my life recently and have come to the conclusion that I don't have a passion. It seems now that my kids are older I am in a place of finding myself. What advice if any would you give to me?

I have two hobby passions.

Scrapbooking:

I was suffering from pretty severe postpartum depression after ds1. When he was about 4 months old, my BFF invited me to her house and told me to bring some pictures of my son. She forced me to scrapbook the pictures with her, and something clicked. I became hooked, and now spend a great deal of time and energy (and money, don't tell dh!:D j/k), on this hobby. I go on scrapbooking weekends with friends and family, and it has the feel of the old fashioned quilting bee. My kids love looking at the books and reliving some of their favorite memories.

Swing dancing:

A friend of mine from grad school was marrying a man she met through a swing dancing club. They were going to have a swing band at the wedding, and I decided it would be fun to learn how to swing dance for the wedding. I signed up for a class, where they said you didn't need a partner. But, you really needed a partner, so after some prodding from some co-workers, I asked a nice guy at work if he wanted to take the lessons with me. That's how dh and I started dating- going to swing dance lessons. Anyway, I really took to the swing dancing. For some reason, I completely "got it" right away. I'm not very coordinated and kind of oaf-ish, so this was a complete surprise to me. I LOVE swing dancing. Dh, not so much. I've figured out what the problem is- he can't hear the beat of the music, or any music, for that matter. As long as I get him started on the count, he can lead the dance, but if he loses his place, he can't start again by himself. Anyway, we kept taking more classes, even when the boys were babies, but now that they're older, it's been too difficult to take the classes or go to the dances. But, I plan to get back into it as soon as humanly possible. One of my best memories with dh is this: My BFF is a drama teacher, and she was doing a production of the Wizard of Oz with her high school students. She asked dh and me to come teach the kids how to Jitterbug. I was a little nervous, but we had a great time. The kids really got into it, and I was proud of dh for giving it his all. It was a really fun time.

I am still searching for my passion. I feel like I skipped that stage of life when most young adults find their interests and passions. I was diagnosed with cancer during my first year of college and after undergoing treatments for a year, I met my husband and quickly got married and pregnant! I've spent the last 14 years submerged in pregnancies, motherhood and general parenting busy-ness. I just turned 35 and finally feel like there might be a sliver of a chance for me to carve out tiny bits of time for myself.

I am planning to participate in a small group study at my church this spring that focuses on "finding your gift." I'm hoping it will help me discern where I might start looking for my hobbies/interests.

Scrapbooking:

I was suffering from pretty severe postpartum depression after ds1. When he was about 4 months old, my BFF invited me to her house and told me to bring some pictures of my son. She forced me to scrapbook the pictures with her, and something clicked. I became hooked, and now spend a great deal of time and energy (and money, don't tell dh!:D j/k), on this hobby. I go on scrapbooking weekends with friends and family, and it has the feel of the old fashioned quilting bee. My kids love looking at the books and reliving some of their favorite memories.

Swing dancing:

A friend of mine from grad school was marrying a man she met through a swing dancing club. They were going to have a swing band at the wedding, and I decided it would be fun to learn how to swing dance for the wedding. I signed up for a class, where they said you didn't need a partner. But, you really needed a partner, so after some prodding from some co-workers, I asked a nice guy at work if he wanted to take the lessons with me. That's how dh and I started dating- going to swing dance lessons. Anyway, I really took to the swing dancing. For some reason, I completely "got it" right away. I'm not very coordinated and kind of oaf-ish, so this was a complete surprise to me. I LOVE swing dancing. Dh, not so much. I've figured out what the problem is- he can't hear the beat of the music, or any music, for that matter. As long as I get him started on the count, he can lead the dance, but if he loses his place, he can't start again by himself. Anyway, we kept taking more classes, even when the boys were babies, but now that they're older, it's been too difficult to take the classes or go to the dances. But, I plan to get back into it as soon as humanly possible. One of my best memories with dh is this: My BFF is a drama teacher, and she was doing a production of the Wizard of Oz with her high school students. She asked dh and me to come teach the kids how to Jitterbug. I was a little nervous, but we had a great time. The kids really got into it, and I was proud of dh for giving it his all. It was a really fun time.

The swing dancing sounds so interesting. I would like to try that some day.

I am still searching for my passion. I feel like I skipped that stage of life when most young adults find their interests and passions. I was diagnosed with cancer during my first year of college and after undergoing treatments for a year, I met my husband and quickly got married and pregnant! I've spent the last 14 years submerged in pregnancies, motherhood and general parenting busy-ness. I just turned 35 and finally feel like there might be a sliver of a chance for me to carve out tiny bits of time for myself.

I am planning to participate in a small group study at my church this spring that focuses on "finding your gift." I'm hoping it will help me discern where I might start looking for my hobbies/interests.

I am where you are. I will be 36 in March and I want to make these last few years in my 30's count. I want to enter my 40's with a bang. I look at it this way. My best years are yet to come. I am pretty active in my church. I just don't have a lot going on outside. I also work part-time two days a week. I am trying not to overload myself with things that don't "count", but I need some fun and adventure. I played tennis with a friend yesterday and had a great time. My husband said he might like that. I want us to do more things together too.

I'm going with the corny answer- it must be in my blood. I've loved horses for as long as I can remember.

I remember going to the ER when I was very little because I wouldn't get out of the way of some stampeding horses.

I can see how it can be in your blood. I wasn't exposed to a whole lot extracurricular activities when I was a kid. My parents didn't have the drive or the money for that. I am now trying to find what I enjoy and stick with it. I could see myself running, but no motivation or a partner to do that with. I may need to take baby steps.

The swing dancing sounds so interesting. I would like to try that some day.

It is really fun. It's a very social type of dance. You should see if you have a local swing dance society. Often times, they host dances and for the first hour, there is a free lesson. You can learn the basic steps and a cute move or two. Then, it's a riot just to sit and watch the others dance, if you don't feel up to trying it yourself just yet. In swing dancing, you change partners frequently (hey, maybe that's where the term swingers comes from?:tongue_smilie:). This is the part dh doesn't like because he needs help getting started. So far, though, most of the ladies are good about getting the count going for him!

It's great exercise, too. People are sucking down bottles of water in between songs. I love the music, as well. And some people get into the vintage clothing, which is kind of fun.

ETA: I think this type of dancing, like ballroom dancing, is easier for the females, because the males have to know how to lead. The ladies just have to know the basic step and learn how to follow. That's the hardest part for a lot of women- actually letting the man lead!

My passion is music. When I was little I would play records all day long. I always had music on all the time. One Christmas my parents bought me an acoustic guitar and I started to teach myself with the little book that came with it. I used to write tons of songs. It came to me really easy. When I was in 5th grade, there was an assembly where some of the representatives from the Middle School we would all be going to the next year came and told us about the programs the school offered. I went home that day and asked my mom if I could go into band and play drums. She said no, that drums were too loud. So then I asked her if I could go into orchestra and learn cello and she said yes. So I did. I played cello in the orchestra for years. I was the only cellist to be picked to represent my school at Solos and Ensembles. We won medals. It was great! :) I also learned to play the bass while I was in orchestra since I was the only one tall enough to play it! :p

These days I don't take my cello out as often because my kids are banshees and I'm always worried they'll knock it over, but I have a guitar or two on a stand at all times. I play electric bass, acoustic & electric guitar & cello. I'm teaching myself piano and would still like to learn drums some day.:)

My passion is music. When I was little I would play records all day long. I always had music on all the time. One Christmas my parents bought me an acoustic guitar and I started to teach myself with the little book that came with it. I used to write tons of songs. It came to me really easy. When I was in 5th grade, there was an assembly where some of the representatives from the Middle School we would all be going to the next year came and told us about the programs the school offered. I went home that day and asked my mom if I could go into band and play drums. She said no, that drums were too loud. So then I asked her if I could go into orchestra and learn cello and she said yes. So I did. I played cello in the orchestra for years. I was the only cellist to be picked to represent my school at Solos and Ensembles. We won medals. It was great! :) I also learned to play the bass while I was in orchestra since I was the only one tall enough to play it! :p

These days I don't take my cello out as often because my kids are banshees and I'm always worried they'll knock it over, but I have a guitar or two on a stand at all times. I play electric bass, acoustic & electric guitar & cello. I'm teaching myself piano and would still like to learn drums some day.:)

Wow! That is fantastic. Get your cello back out more. I could just imagine the memories you would make for your kids hearing you play. Do you have a music room or anything? I sing in choir at church. That's about it when it comes to music, but I love to listen.

Wow! That is fantastic. Get your cello back out more. I could just imagine the memories you would make for your kids hearing you play. Do you have a music room or anything? I sing in choir at church. That's about it when it comes to music, but I love to listen.

I bring out my cello from time to time. My 'music room' is practically my whole house! :p I have a keyboard, an electric guitar and 4 amplifiers in my living room as well as all of my pedals. I have my cello, a violin, and 8 other guitars and my bass upstairs in my bedroom. I wish I did have a music studio where I could play and record and edit all in one place, but I would have to move for that so it's all just kind of scattered everywhere now.

My kids will have lots of memories of my playing guitar I guess. I take my dd to nursing homes sometimes to sing for the residents and they love it. I bring the acoustics for that btw, not the electrics. :p hehe My son got his mama's love of Joe Satriani :001_wub: and sings the guitar riffs all the time. It's so cute! This morning my son woke up singing one of Satch's songs. :lol:

Edited by Ibbygirl

I bring out my cello from time to time. My 'music room' is practically my whole house! :p I have a keyboard, an electric guitar and 4 amplifiers in my living room as well as all of my pedals. I have my cello, a violin, and 8 other guitars and my bass upstairs in my bedroom. I wish I did have a music studio where I could play and record and edit all in one place, but I would have to move for that so it's all just kind of scattered everywhere now.

My kids will have lots of memories of my playing guitar I guess. I take my dd to nursing homes sometimes to sing for the residents and they love it. I bring the acoustics for that btw, not the electrics. :p hehe My son got his mama's love of Joe Satriani :001_wub: and sings the guitar riffs all the time. It's so cute! This morning my son woke up singing one of Satch's songs. :lol:

I am about to head off for work, but I'm going to look up the musicians you mentioned when I get home tonight. Have a great day, and keep that song in your heart! :001_smile:

Once you get me started talking about swing dancing, I just can't stop.

Anyway, here's a video of the teachers dh & I had. They have split up since then, but they both still win national awards.

Haha, well it is your passion. :001_smile: I will look at the video when I get home tonight. Have a great day!

I am about to head off for work, but I'm going to look up the musicians you mentioned when I get home tonight. Have a great day, and keep that song in your heart! :001_smile:

Satch is mostly instrumental rock just so you know. :) Thank hon. You have a great day too. :grouphug:

I can see how it can be in your blood. I wasn't exposed to a whole lot extracurricular activities when I was a kid. My parents didn't have the drive or the money for that. I am now trying to find what I enjoy and stick with it. I could see myself running, but no motivation or a partner to do that with. I may need to take baby steps.

But you know, both my parents are about as non horsey as you can get, and did not expose me to horses at all.

Mom says it was just there. I was just a horse person and there was no getting around it. We lived in the suburbs, they bought me a horse when I was young basically just to shut me up. I was very persistent about needing a horse.

So I guess I really should say that God just gave me the passion and there's no getting around it.

I have a few passions/hobbies.

I love midwifery, everything about the natural birth process actually. I came to it after my first c-section. My husband was in the military so I had many many hours to sit and read all I could. Later after my 3rd was born I was an apprentice/assistant. I was able to be present for 2 homebirths before the midwife closed her practice. Once my youngest is a school aged I will volunteer at a local midwifery clinic just to be in the environment. Love it!

Photography- I took photography in high school and enjoyed it. However the cost of developing film was just too much so I quit. About 5 years ago I started reading lots of photography blogs and started noticing things that I liked. I bought a DSLR and started to play. It goes nearly everywhere with me. In March I am taking a few classes, a beginning class (get the best pics without photoshop), newborn photography, family photography, and wildlife photography. I want to get a macro lens to take pictures of all sorts of nature things, like bugs lol. I also want to get a telephoto lens so I can go to West Yellowstone this summer and get pictures of all that is there.

My dream hobby? I want to learn to play the cello. I love the deep resonating sound it creates. It stirs something in my soul. I played the violin years ago and have a special love for the strings.

But you know, both my parents are about as non horsey as you can get, and did not expose me to horses at all.

Mom says it was just there. I was just a horse person and there was no getting around it. We lived in the suburbs, they bought me a horse when I was young basically just to shut me up. I was very persistent about needing a horse.

So I guess I really should say that God just gave me the passion and there's no getting around it.

This is my daughter!!! The fist couple years I passed it off as the normal horse girl thing. It has stuck around though and there is no putting it off. We are moving to a place in the country this weekend that has a barn and corrals. She takes lessons and even her teacher was surprised at her instant take to it. She has no clue that a horse is in her future.

I think it is a beautiful thing when something is so intrinsically a part of someone that there is no getting around it. What a blessing!

Sailing.

I had never sailed until I was an adult, but had always watched wistfully when we went to San Francisco and the boats would sail past in the bay.

Anyway - finally learned to sail in my early 20's, but then it was another 11 years before we had a chance to own a boat and actually sail frequently.

We love it. Over the weekend we took another family out with us, and dolphins surrounded the boat, playing in our wake, and looking at us while they went under and around us. It was magical.

Anyway, DH and I plan to retire on 42 foot catamaran, sell almost everything we own, and put what we can't bear to part with (mostly pictures :) ) in storage, and leave for about 8 to 10 years. Travel everywhere.....

Sailing.

I had never sailed until I was an adult, but had always watched wistfully when we went to San Francisco and the boats would sail past in the bay.

Anyway - finally learned to sail in my early 20's, but then it was another 11 years before we had a chance to own a boat and actually sail frequently.

We love it. Over the weekend we took another family out with us, and dolphins surrounded the boat, playing in our wake, and looking at us while they went under and around us. It was magical.

Anyway, DH and I plan to retire on 42 foot catamaran, sell almost everything we own, and put what we can't bear to part with (mostly pictures :) ) in storage, and leave for about 8 to 10 years. Travel everywhere.....

That's awesome! :)

My passion seems to be watching Netflix. :blink: I guess I need to work on finding something new. In the past, I seemed to find a passion that related to the kids in someway - scrapbooking to do baby albums, got certified to install carseats, took up taekwondo, and now I'm focused on student exchange and college. As I learn about it and/or the kids outgrow it, I lose my interest and need something else to move on to. I don't know that I have it in me to find a passion that will last. Except maybe for the Netflix thing.

Scrapbooking:

Swing dancing:

My MIL and FIL 'dated' at the local church when they were HS, and the church had a swingdance club. we called them Fred and Ginger, and every wedding, man, those two would Cut Rug. Even as he was getting to the worst of the Alzheimers, he would dance with the ladies in the care center. And all the ladies loved him.

I think it's a lost art. I think we need dancing as a community, back. It's social, fun, and creates bonds. Your instructors are awesome! I would so love to learn how to swing dance. One day!

I am where you are. I will be 36 in March and I want to make these last few years in my 30's count. I want to enter my 40's with a bang. I look at it this way. My best years are yet to come. I am pretty active in my church. I just don't have a lot going on outside. I also work part-time two days a week. I am trying not to overload myself with things that don't "count", but I need some fun and adventure. I played tennis with a friend yesterday and had a great time. My husband said he might like that. I want us to do more things together too.

Ahhh. It's a stage. Don't think that you're the only one, I think it's a stage of being in your mid 30s. Somewhere between college and kids, you loose yourself and forget who you used to be.

Try and think back to when you were a kid. What did you love to do? What was your favorite activity?

Mine was art. For some reason, I totally forgot that I had taken years and years of private art lessons from the time I was in grammar school to a young adult, won competitions, and showed. I mean like, it Fell Off The Map. :confused: It's been fun to pick it back up again.

I have a few passions/hobbies.

I love midwifery, everything about the natural birth process actually. I came to it after my first c-section. My husband was in the military so I had many many hours to sit and read all I could. Later after my 3rd was born I was an apprentice/assistant. I was able to be present for 2 homebirths before the midwife closed her practice. Once my youngest is a school aged I will volunteer at a local midwifery clinic just to be in the environment. Love it!

Photography- I took photography in high school and enjoyed it. However the cost of developing film was just too much so I quit. About 5 years ago I started reading lots of photography blogs and started noticing things that I liked. I bought a DSLR and started to play. It goes nearly everywhere with me. In March I am taking a few classes, a beginning class (get the best pics without photoshop), newborn photography, family photography, and wildlife photography. I want to get a macro lens to take pictures of all sorts of nature things, like bugs lol. I also want to get a telephoto lens so I can go to West Yellowstone this summer and get pictures of all that is there.

My dream hobby? I want to learn to play the cello. I love the deep resonating sound it creates. It stirs something in my soul. I played the violin years ago and have a special love for the strings.

I love the cello too. I can relate to it stirring something in your soul. :001_smile:

My MIL and FIL 'dated' at the local church when they were HS, and the church had a swingdance club. we called them Fred and Ginger, and every wedding, man, those two would Cut Rug. Even as he was getting to the worst of the Alzheimers, he would dance with the ladies in the care center. And all the ladies loved him.

I think it's a lost art. I think we need dancing as a community, back. It's social, fun, and creates bonds. Your instructors are awesome! I would so love to learn how to swing dance. One day!

Ahhh. It's a stage. Don't think that you're the only one, I think it's a stage of being in your mid 30s. Somewhere between college and kids, you loose yourself and forget who you used to be.

Try and think back to when you were a kid. What did you love to do? What was your favorite activity?

Mine was art. For some reason, I totally forgot that I had taken years and years of private art lessons from the time I was in grammar school to a young adult, won competitions, and showed. I mean like, it Fell Off The Map. :confused: It's been fun to pick it back up again.

My children will be 18 and 20 when I turn 40. I have my whole life ahead of me. I want to make it last. Sad to say that I didn't have a lot of things that brought fun when I was a child. I was just trying to survive.

I think one thing you can do is spend a year or two 'dabbling' at things to see if you come up w/ any interests.

Once upon a time, my passion was oil painting. But, I haven't done that in many years. I have thought about revisiting it, but it just doesn't seem to spark me anymore. And, that's ok. Maybe I'm open to new things.

I'm in a similar spot (dc getting older, more time for me...). Things I really enjoy at this point in my life...

• Reading -- I participate in a book club, discuss books w/ friends, & like being active in book discussions here & on Goodreads.
  • Movies -- I love to go see movies in the theater.
  • Ice Skating -- I didn't grow up ice skating & am not good at it, but have enjoyed it the few times I've done it. A few weeks ago, I joined an adult beginner class & am loving it.
  • Skiing -- Again, I never knew how to do this, but have loved it the couple of times I've done it as an adult. We are not in a good area for skiing, but I want to continue this through the years (when I can) because I love it.
  • Travel -- Not always feasible, but I'd rather spend my $$ on travel than many other things. I try to keep that in mind & budget accordingly.

I'd also love to pursue other things down the road. Some ideas of things that I think I'd enjoy...

• Working w/ a literacy group -- Reading is so important to me. I'd love to work w/ those learning to read, whether children or adults.
  • Art classes -- not sure what -- maybe glass slumping?
  • Language classes -- I've always loved languages & have taken various classes through continuing education for fun. Need to look into that again & try another language sometime....
  • Barefoot running -- an interest I'm trying to cultivate into a passion :tongue_smilie:;) (not sure I'll get there, but I'm trying...)

My new passions are photography and writing and roller skating. Old passions are playing the piano and reading.

What makes something a passion, and how did I find them?

Photography:

Last January, I knew nothing about photography, but had always wondered in the back of my mind if I'd like it. Someone in my church started a photography club, and I went and LOVE it. When I'm taking pictures, the world melts away and I wish time would stand still.

Writing:

As a kid, I enjoyed "English" class (which meant, reading, grammar and writing.)

In October, I started taking a Picture of the Day and would post it on Facebook with a little caption. The captions got longer and longer until I decided to go a blog of the Picture of the Day.

I spend about 2 hours a night playing with my picture and blog and in those 2 hours the world stops.

Roller skating:

I always loved roller skating as a kid. Now that my kids are old enough to skate, I take them, and I always skate, too. The hours at the rink going round and round seem to go by in a snap.

Piano;

I can sit and play the same songs over and over and never get bored. Spending an hour at the piano, feels like 5 minutes.

Reading:

I can read for hours on end and be interrupted and have to put the book down, and still wish for more time to read. There's never enough time to read, even though I manage to read for a couple of hours a day (I read while I brush my teeth, I read while I eat lunch, I read in waiting rooms, etc.)

Here's a little bit of advice, sort of:

I can't tell you what you'll like, but I can help you narrow it down a little, just by giving some examples of what didn't work for me.

I thought I'd like gardening, but after planting about three plants, I find my mind wandering and I wonder "when will this be DONE? I have more important things to do."

I thought I'd like jewelry making, but after threading about 5 beads, all I could think was "when will this be DONE? I have more important things to do."

I tried scrapbooking with a friend, but after cutting out a couple of circles, all I wanted to know was "when will this be DONE? I have more important things to do."

My advice is this:

1. Think of anything, any little thing, that you've ever been interested in (like my photography or roller skating) and consider pursuing it.

2. Start small. Don't buy a lot of supplies if you're not sure you'll like it. For example, I'm glad I only bought a kit for one piece of jewelry, because it was clear within the first 15 minutes that it wasn't for me. If you do something and think, "I really should be doing something else right now..." then that's not your passion.

When you have a passion, you don't care if you should be doing something else. You are happy and contented with taking the time for your passion.

Edited by Garga

My passion is hobby hopping. Seriously. I can't fall in love with anything long enough to stick it out forever. There are too many fun and exciting things to learn out there. I keep freaking out because I have it in my head that I ought to be talented enough at something to help make money, but it's just not happening now.

Right now I'm crocheting and sorta learning to sew. In the past I have done food storage, financial planning, makeup artistry, ballroom dancing, canning, nutrition and history. At least, those are all I can think of. In the future, I would like to try soap making, gardening, knitting, tatting, and more sewing. There's too many fun things in this world; I can't get tied down to one of them!

I have a midlife crisis every few months and scream to myself: Where is my me time? What makes me happy? What do I love? And then I pick a new hobby.

Edited by meggie

What if your favorite thing to do though is reading books? I've been in book clubs before and while it was fun, I can't say it was my favorite part of reading.

I do like to write and have about 6 novels on my computer than are either 1/4 or 1/2 through, but then I either run out of steam or hate every line I've written and quit because I think it's complete and utter carp. I write in my head all the time, but when it comes to putting it down on paper, it just doesn't work.

I do have a friend who's a published author and have pre-read both her books and edited them for her and totally enjoyed it. I think I'd really like being an editor, but I don't think that's possible now. Most freelance jobs have very specific qualifications,like 3-5 years experience, which is hard to get if you can't get a job, and those that don't are snapped up within minutes of being posted. Sigh.

I have done lot of things throughout my life that I have really enjoyed. I square danced for many years when I was a kid. My parents got into it and when I was old enough I started. I love doing most things outdoors even though I am out of shape now. I still love to do day hikes. I am working on losing weight and getting back in shape in hopes to get back into camping and back packing. I spent several years sailing some on small boats and a lot on a 36' boat. We've talked about the possibility of living on a sailboat and cruising the world. We were preparing our old boat for that when I found out I was pregnant with dd. Dh had sailed a little bit when we met and then he took a small boat class in college from there and he got me into it. I really enjoy photography, it is a hobby that started because my dad did it, but my dh really encouraged me to take tons of pictures, to read and to study some and now I am not a world renowned photographer or anything, but I can take some really good pictures.

At this particular time we we are kayaking 1 to 1 1/2 about 5 days a week. We talked about wanting to take some lessons when we were in Alaska, but it didn't work out. Ever since we have wanted to really try it out. Right now we haven't gone anywhere other than on 1 lake because there is still risk of dd falling into the water. A lot of the places we would like to go have a much higher risk of gators and we just aren't going to go there until I am confident that she is going to stay in the kayak.