Menu

Going gluten and dairy free

Does this mean I can't even eat, or feed my baby, things that say they were processed in a facility that processed dairy and gluten? Does that usually still affect people with sensitivities?

And if you are gluten and dairy free, please tell me what you eat. I have a list but it's uninspiring- rice, oats (though I hear that even those are questionable), veggies, fruit, eggs, meat, and fish. So I guess we'll eat a lot of homemade soups and simple meals of meat or fish and veggies.

If there is celiac or allergies that show up on a lab test, then yes, you will need to be strict about avoiding cross-contamination forever. If you're doing the diet to help with autism or ADHD, then it's possible that after a period of strict GFCF, the gut will heal enough to allow the occasional infraction accompanied by enzyme supplements that help digest the offending proteins.

The recommendation I've seen since we started GFCF is to give it at least 6 months before attempting a challenge.

I checked out a bunch of cookbooks from my local library, but the one I liked best and purchased is called Cooking Free by Carol Fenster.

Yes. Stay away from anything that is processed in a facility with wheat or dairy. These products can be a source of cross contamination.

We've been gluten free since the beginning of Decemeber. At first it was super challenging but now it's not as hard as I thought it was going to be. Just read labels and do your research!

Quinoa is an option, right?

Thanks for the reminder! I do have quinoa and make it frequently.

I'm just shocked by the stuff you have to watch out for! Luckily, we already buy a lot of brands that are gluten free- soy sauce, organic chix broth, etc.

But I have to come up with a list of meals and snacks because baby and I are sick of oatmeal, potatoes, rice, eggs, chicken, fish, veggies and fruit only.

No one has been diagnosed celiac, I'm just desperate to figure out why my baby hardly sleeps and is almost always unhappy.

For breakfast, things like coconut flour pancakes, french toast made with gluten free bread, quinoa oatmeal, and almond or coconut yogurt are big hits in our house.

For lunch/dinner, things like brown rice pasta with sauce, cauliflower crust pizza with daiya vegan cheese, rice pasta mac and cheese, homemade chicken nuggets, tacos or fajitas in corn shells/tortillas, are all kid-friendly favorites as well.

DH has been GF/DF since June and what an adjustment it was for me, as the Head Chef around here! But it is a lot easier now that we have adjusted. I've learned the hard way not to feed him taco seasoning or broth (and many other things) without checking the label first. Ugh. Why is there whey protein in most taco seasoning??

I bought him "Cooking for Isaiah" for Christmas and it is a lifesaver! It's a GF/DF cookbook by the woman who created Rachel Ray's magazine. And the woman can cook! We have tried seven recipes now and they have all been amazing except for the spaghetti and meatballs (they fell apart b/c she didn't have you brown them first, so it was spaghetti and meat sauce :glare:). We made her pancakes last night and they were amazing! Way way better than using the GF Bisquick mix, which made kind of grainy pancakes.

Also, they make some great kid cereals that are GF/DF, which we can find at our Safeway and Whole Foods. Hubby's favorite is Gorilla Munch. Yes, DH eats GF kid cereal b/c it's the tastiest he can find! :lol:

Almond milk was another find. He says it's really neutral (not like soy milk. UGH) so he can eat cereal again and enjoy it.

Best of luck!

Christina

For breakfast, things like coconut flour pancakes, french toast made with gluten free bread, quinoa oatmeal, and almond or coconut yogurt are big hits in our house.

For lunch/dinner, things like brown rice pasta with sauce, cauliflower crust pizza with daiya vegan cheese, rice pasta mac and cheese, homemade chicken nuggets, tacos or fajitas in corn shells/tortillas, are all kid-friendly favorites as well.

Thanks for these ideas, I'm going to look up a quinoa oatmeal recipe.

DH has been GF/DF since June and what an adjustment it was for me, as the Head Chef around here! But it is a lot easier now that we have adjusted. I've learned the hard way not to feed him taco seasoning or broth (and many other things) without checking the label first. Ugh. Why is there whey protein in most taco seasoning??

I bought him "Cooking for Isaiah" for Christmas and it is a lifesaver! It's a GF/DF cookbook by the woman who created Rachel Ray's magazine. And the woman can cook! We have tried seven recipes now and they have all been amazing except for the spaghetti and meatballs (they fell apart b/c she didn't have you brown them first, so it was spaghetti and meat sauce :glare:). We made her pancakes last night and they were amazing! Way way better than using the GF Bisquick mix, which made kind of grainy pancakes.

Also, they make some great kid cereals that are GF/DF, which we can find at our Safeway and Whole Foods. Hubby's favorite is Gorilla Munch. Yes, DH eats GF kid cereal b/c it's the tastiest he can find! :lol:

Almond milk was another find. He says it's really neutral (not like soy milk. UGH) so he can eat cereal again and enjoy it.

Best of luck!

Christina

Thanks for the cookbook suggestion! My kids love Gorilla Munch, I didn't know it was gf and will definitely get some for the baby and maybe myself.

I'm just desperate to figure out why my baby hardly sleeps and is almost always unhappy.

Have you tried going dairy free? My DD was like this as a baby and once I got rid of dairy she was like a new child. She was BF and kept vomiting my milk and had explosive poop but the DR said it was just because I was overfeeding her :glare: She slept in 20 minute spurts during the day and about 6 hours at night. And cry -she spent almost all her awake time crying.

When I switched her to cow milk formula she reacted worse - so I tried her on a dairy free formula and all her issues stopped immediately. She started taking proper naps in the day and sleeping 12 hours at night - and no more continous crying.

I wish I would have known sooner -I was almost living on dairy while I was BF her because I thought it was a good thing to do :confused:

Edited by sewingmama

Here are some of my favorites:

Corn/rice pasta with tomato sauce

Tacos with corn tortillas

Big salad with veggies or fruit, hard boiled eggs or grilled chicken, or taco salad with corn chips

Gluten free toast and tomato soup

Roasted root veggies

Lentil soup served over rice

Frittata made with eggs, grated potatoes, and spinach

Smoothies (add tofu, coconut milk, almond milk)

Gluten free oatmeal

Snacks: nuts, dried fruit, dark chocolate, hummus and veggies to dip, Lara bars.

Try cooking with olive oil and coconut oil.

Pot roast with potatoes and carrots

We have eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast a lot (and sometimes for dinner in a pinch!)

Do you like coconut macaroons? They are usually gluten and dairy free. If you live near a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods, there are tons of options and they even have shopping lists you can use.

People have different levels of sensitivity to gluten. Dh can eat things processed in the same facilities as wheat and not be sick from it. There are people who can't and there are people who can tolerate getting more wheat than dh can.

I've heard this a time or two from a couple bloggers too! I was shocked to read it actually.

I'm one of the people that can't even get near the bread aisle in the grocery store! Or even smell regular baking flours. I can't even go into our church when they are offering free breakfast that has rolls, breads, and such things either! :001_huh:

Have you tried going dairy free? My DD was like this as a baby and once I got rid of dairy she was like a new child. She was BF and kept vomiting my milk and had explosive poop but the DR said it was just because I was overfeeding her :glare: She slept in 20 minute spurts during the day and about 6 hours at night. And cry -she spent almost all her awake time crying.

When I switched her to cow milk formula she reacted worse - so I tried her on a dairy free formula and all her issues stopped immediately. She started taking proper naps in the day and sleeping 12 hours at night - and no more continous crying.

I've tried eliminating dairy before and it didn't seem to help, but it's in so much I think I may have been accidentally eating dairy or I didn't give it a long enough trial, so I'm trying again now, along with gluten.

My babe has never even slept 6 hours straight, I'd be happy w that. And I do think he has a dairy allergy because now that he's a year old he's had dairy to eat himself and he always has diarrhea all day afterward.

Here are some of my favorites:

If you live near a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods, there are tons of options and they even have shopping lists you can use.

Thanks for that great list! I live near a Whole Foods and will take a look. Of course, this dietary change comes right when I'm trying to trim our grocery bill, but we've got to try something for my sanity's sake.

People have different levels of sensitivity to gluten. Dh can eat things processed in the same facilities as wheat and not be sick from it. There are people who can't and there are people who can tolerate getting more wheat than dh can.

My mom has been diagnosed celiac but she can tolerate a little wheat from time to time. I'm just wondering, if to really test if baby has a sensitivty, if I need to keep things super pure at first, I'm guessing yes.

Unfortunately, for the past month all he wants to do is nurse and it's very hard to get him to eat, (he's 14 mos), and the one thing he'll eat are the Ella's Kitchen fruit and veggie pouches, because he likes slurping them through the spout. And I hadn't ever bought baby food for him before this, but they work for now. But I noticed that they say they're processed in a facility with dairy and wheat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding my voice... Diagnosed Celiac here with a casein allergy. DS is also diagnosed but luckily has avoided the casein allergy. Individual celiac patients gluten intake tolerance ranges from less than 10mg to 100 mg. From the Celiac Disease Center's Spring 08 Impact newsletter: "a daily gluten intake of <10mg is unlikely to cause any significant histological abnormalities. This supports very well prior conclusions of a panel of experts in Europe who concluded that any amount up to 10 mg was safe for all; any amount above 100 mg was unsafe for all; and in between 10-100 mg per day lied the interindividual difference in sensitivity." That's probably why some people can eat some food processed on equipment that processes wheat, for example, and some can't. Commentary By: Stefano Guandalini, M.D. Title: Tolerable amount of gluten for people with Coeliac Disease. Source: By A. K. AKOBENG & A. G. THOMAS Aliment Pharmacol Therap “Postprint”; doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2008.03669.x

Is your oatmeal gluten-free? If you are not buying specialty "gluten-free" oatmeal then it is probably cross-contaminated above safe levels. Also, about 10% of celiacs (or a "small portion" in this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19595389) have a reaction to avenin, a protein in oats. If you have never eliminated oats, it may be worth cutting them out for a while. good luck!