Menu

What do you do for PE in the winter?

I am curious as to what anyone does for PE in the winter? We live far from the Ice Rink and go there a few times... don't get snow every year or we do play in it!!! Wishing it would snow here! Rain has made it too muddy outside for the past few weeks. We have a Wii and now the Kinect ( in my desparation), so I guess I will have to require the active games to be played ( I lock up the games and remotes) and no one asks for the games at all during the morning ( busy hours). Still, I want more than games and am disappointed with the Kinect ( it won't allow enough players and messes up with a shorter child when a taller one is playing)...frustrated with all the energy my kids have and I have none! I am pregnant (8th child) so when I do exercise it wipes me out!

I used to be addicted to exercise and have been a better example with dvd's, walks, going to the gym, even wii fit plus. So, I feel guilty, and still need to get my kids moving!:confused:;)

My 10 yo is on swim team. He swims for an hour, usually 3 times a week. My 7 and 5 yo are doing swim lessons 2 times a week right now. I'm hoping the 7 yo will join swim team by this summer.

I also have a mini trampoline in our school area and the boys use it when we are working on our memory work. (I jump on it sometimes, too. :) )

Is there a gym near your house that offers homeschool programs? You may have to ask around. Our gym has a class twice a week, for two hours. They teach the kids how to stretch and exercise, then they rotate activities, like, teaching them about tennis, basketball, martial arts, pilates, etc. The moms get a trainer who works us out for 45 minutes and she is brutal! It's a great program and several other gyms in our area have started them too. I pay $38 a month for me and $18 for DS. This gets you a full membership at the gym, you don't just have to come during the HS classes. It runs the enite school year, fall to summer. If you can't find one in your area, don't be afraid to ask the gym management about starting a group like this!! Ask some friends if they would be interested and approach them together. Friends of mine wanted to attend our program but it was too much of a commute for them, so they talked to a gym closer to their homes about it and the gym loved the idea! They had the program up and running within a month, and they do 3 days a week, not just 2! A lot of gyms are hurting because of the economy, members are dropping like flies. I would imagine that you would be able to find a gym desperate enough for business that they would at least consider it. Oh, and our gym is HUGE. We have TONS of cardio equipment, weights, a basketball court, tennis courts, raquetball courts, saunas, steam rooms, showers, in house massage, in house physical therapy, spinning classes, group exercise classes all day long, 2 indoor pools and one outdoor pool. If a gym didn't have all these amenities, I would expect to pay less than what I do.

Indoor stuff, as winter = days and days of rain here.

*Wii games. We have two of the Just Dance games, Wii Fit Plus, and Nickelodeon Fit.

* 2 made-for-kids Yoga DVD's

Outdoors - if it's sunny we'll go for a walk to one of the parks near us (there's 3) and/or to the library (since one of the parks is on the way, we usually stop to play on our way there or back)

DS 7 has swim team 3x a week for an hour and 15 minutes each session, plus competes in swim meets about once a month. He has martial arts twice a week too, and hour and a half each session.

If there isn't snow or ice, he'll still ride his bike, even in frigid temps; we still go for walks and hikes; we'll take a few trips to go snowboarding this winter; and he and his friends play outside a few times a week, even in cold temps (doesn't seem to bother them). Inside we have Wii Outdoor Adventure and Active Life Explorer which he loves doing.

Swimming and Karate here.

Our local Y has a homeschool gym class if we were so inclined... but we need to pay like any other Y class... it gets pricey. We probably won't do it just because we already do swim and karate. We have organized indoor park days in the winter through a city homeschool group... they rent space in the local armory and the cost is split between the families who sign up... In theory its a great idea, but we'll probably be skipping this too and just opting for the free outdoor park day gatherings.

Swimming, badminton, and tennis all continue through the winter - yes, even tennis, outside, in northern England, they even had a lesson on Christmas Eve! DS10 and DS7 also take our labradoodle for a walk each day for 30-45 minutes, come rain or shine, which gets them all some fresh air and exercise.

Best wishes

Cassy