Menu

24 days into the New Year, and....

4 murders. Two shootings Saturday within a couple of miles from my house - one in the McD's parking lot. Less than a half hour later (and less than a mile away from McD's) someone shot into an occupied car, injuring the passengers.

Usually the violence stays on the east side of the city, but it is starting to spill over into other areas.

Oh yeah...this is a city of ~200,000, so not a large city by any stretch of the imagination.

I am so over this.:glare:

Wow. :grouphug: I recently read that the crime rate has been going down. I'm a little surprised to hear that's not the case in your area. A couple of years ago we decided to sell our house when there were four incidents (robberies and violent acts) within a four mile radius in two months. It was a good area of town too. I'm glad we left the area.

Wow. :grouphug: I recently read that the crime rate has been going down. I'm a little surprised to hear that's not the case in your area. A couple of years ago we decided to sell our house when there were four incidents (robberies and violent acts) within a four mile radius in two months. It was a good area of town too. I'm glad we left the area.

Crime was going down here for a long time, but there was an increase in homicides last year. I know there was a recent public meeting/press conference about what the police are going to do about rising crime.

In the past 3 months, there have been 11 property crimes (robbery/b & e) and 8 assaults within 1/2 mile. Most of those 8 assaults were at the high school that is almost next door to us. The one my 13yo wants to go to.:glare: The one with the highest rates of crime and violence in the county (and twice the state rate.)

There is property crime everywhere and some people go looking for trouble. I don't worry about that as much, but random crime or bystander crime is a little different.

Get over to Cary, Apex, Fuquay!

My dh would tell you over his dead body!:lol: He wants to move back to the country. I don't want to have to commute an hour each way when I go back to work in the fall. We're still working on a compromise.:tongue_smilie:

That is scary. :grouphug: Are the crimes at night? We once lived in an area I didn't feel comfortable shopping alone after dark.

No, not all the crimes are at night. I try not to stop anywhere at night, but if I do there are certain places I avoid. I was told by the wife of a cop not to stop at a certain grocery store after dark, so I don't. There is a bad apartment complex behind the store. There is a park there, too, but we drive another 10 minutes down the road to one in a better area.

The area where we are is not a bad area, but we aren't far from some rough areas (but across town from the REALLY rough areas.) It's just...unnerving to me, I guess. The areas we lived before now were very low crime or less worrisome (like a couple of trailer parks we lived in.)

My dh would tell you over his dead body!:lol: He wants to move back to the country. I don't want to have to commute an hour each way when I go back to work in the fall. We're still working on a compromise.:tongue_smilie:

QUOTE]

Would he consider scooting over to Pittsboro? Really, we love to eat in Durham (How you guys end up with all the 4 and 5 star restaurants, I don't know.), but I wouldn't like to get lost on the way home.

Oh yeah...this is a city of ~200,000, so not a large city by any stretch of the imagination.

I am so over this.:glare:

I am so sorry! Shocking!!

I just had to comment on this quote, though. I live in Maine and I'm not sure any city in Maine is over 200,000. Within an hour radius of me is probably less than 75,000. I don't think I'd make it in a big city. sigh.

QUOTE]

Would he consider scooting over to Pittsboro? Really, we love to eat in Durham (How you guys end up with all the 4 and 5 star restaurants, I don't know.), but I wouldn't like to get lost on the way home.

Yes, he would go back to Chatham County - we lived there for about 8 years. We'd have to find something we could afford - Northern and Eastern Chatham have gotten pretty expensive.