Menu

Sigh. Potty Training.

Started potty training DS1 a week ago.

He has done extremely well. Only two accidents on the first day and then none up until today (we've still been letting him wear diapers at night - twice they've had some poo in it in the morning, but outside of that he's kept dry).

He's been super sleepy, super bored (it is finally snowing - we're kind of trapped in our 500 sq ft apartment), and over all super whiny today.

This afternoon he wanted me to put a (nursing) DS2 down to play with him, and when I didn't he got really angry and then proceeded to pee in the middle of the living room floor. As I had a half-sleeping baby (who desperately needed to go down for a nap) attached to my chest I couldn't drop everything and haul him into the bathroom. When I asked him to stop and go use the "potty" he looked at me, stopped peeing, put his hands on his hips and goes "No, mama!"

:glare:

He did something similar why he was eating dinner because I wouldn't let him have a glass of ginger ale.

I'm doing my best to be patient (even though it makes me twitch inside), ignore it as just an "acting out for attention" sort of thing, and be consistent with the potty training. I'm basically acting like we're back at day one. After a week of just about perfection though it is sending DH off the deep end, and he thinks that I'm being too much of a pushover about the whole situation.

Thoughts? Advice? BTDT commiseration? Chocolate?

Potty training is officially my (current) least favorite aspect of parenting. Giving birth was more fun. :glare:

Put him back in diapers and let him decide when. Totally.

I never potty trained my kids. I let them know that eventually kids stop wearing diapers and use the potty. They could tell me when they are ready, and we'd get them underwear of their choice. They did; they trained themselves.

I think it's a case of you can spend "X" amount of time training them, or you can wait. They all end up using the potty and not diapers.

Definitely chocolate (for you). Hang in there.

My older dd did the peeing for attention thing when she was first training, too. She almost always did it to her dad (the at-home parent at the time, usually while I was at work). He had a difficult time tempering his reaction, so she got the (negative) attention she wanted. When we switched (he got a FT job, but it was 100% travel so I had to quit mine -- daycare for 1, 3 and 4 year olds was more than rent), I was more able to calmly give her a towel and ask her to clean up (and then go back for a more thorough clean when she wasn't around), and she only did it maybe twice to me.

I never potty trained my kids. I let them know that eventually kids stop wearing diapers and use the potty. They could tell me when they are ready, and we'd get them underwear of their choice. They did; they trained themselves.

I think it's a case of you can spend "X" amount of time training them, or you can wait. They all end up using the potty and not diapers.

:iagree:100%

I always felt this way but by my third, I was as relaxed as relaxed could be about it. My favorite potty training experience occurred one month after DS5 turned 3. He just said, "No more diapers, Mommy!" And he never wore another diaper, even at night. No accidents at all. No stress for Mommy in the least. :D

OP, your DS is using pee as leverage (and a weapon!). Put him back in his dipeys and take your power back. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I offered him a diaper and he started crying "No, no! Potty!"... and then ran to the bathroom and showed me that he could use the potty. I wonder if it is just because DS2 has required a lot of attention today and he was feeling left out?

FWIW, he was more ready to do potty training than I was. He came home from our Christmas vacation wanting to use the potty like Grandpa and his Uncle. Totally caught me unaware.

Well, I offered him a diaper and he started crying "No, no! Potty!"... and then ran to the bathroom and showed me that he could use the potty. I wonder if it is just because DS2 has required a lot of attention today and he was feeling left out?

FWIW, he was more ready to do potty training than I was. He came home from our Christmas vacation wanting to use the potty like Grandpa and his Uncle. Totally caught me unaware.

Eh. I might compromise with pull-ups. But, for me, going back to diapers would be the consequence for purposefully pottying on the floor. I would be sweet and loving but tell him we would try again soon.

Looking over the OP again... I missed the part where your DH thought you were being a pushover. Honestly, in my mind, being a pushover is the best way to potty train. Potty training is definitely not a place to strong-arm a child. Not ready, hon? OK. Back in diapers. I will not be manipulated by or engage in power struggles about urine. :tongue_smilie:

I really needed to hear this. Thank you!

When I first tried to potty train DD it was a lot like that. She did awesome at first, I was confident we had it done...then she started peeing everywhere. It wasn't really even an attention thing. She was really frustrated. I was really frustrated, too. We were expecting the twins by then so I REALLY WANTED IT DONE.

I put her back in diapers. 3 months later, she got a diaper rash (really bad one) and I decided to go diaper free for a few days. No pressure, if she didn't potty train I'd put her back in diapers when the rash was gone. The first day she peed on the floor 5 times. The second day she did twice. The third day she was potty trained, day and night. She's hardly had an accident since. Putting her back in diapers was the best thing I could have done.

And yet, today, I ordered some potties for the twins (14mo)...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I did this with all three of my kids. Dd was done with diapers by 2.5. She just didn't want them.

Ds9 was done at 4. I did actually try with him. He said "Underwear are stupid". Waited another few months and he wanted to wear underwear and get the prize on the back of the toilet! I did use incentive with him.

ds3.5 finally quit wearing diapers all together 2 months ago. He liked his Thomas underwear so it was easy going there. I did have some trouble when I was trying to him trained but then gave up, a couple months later he was ready on his own.

All that to say them them figure it out. IMO he is early for boys. He may be doing ok but it will be much, much easier and you will have much less accident (or on purposes! :)) if you wait a while. :)