Menu

Could You All Help Me Out A Bit :)

Hi everyone,

I gave birth to our second son on the 7th of this month.

Everything went beautifully and we're all smitten with our newest arrival :).

Yesterday, a family member mentioned that the baby has a "Simian Line" or "Simian Crease" on his left hand. Basically instead of having three distinct lines on his palm the two upper lines are merged into one line that goes all the way across his palm like this......

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/08/01/health/adam/17226Simiancrease.html

Of course I went and googled it and found that a Simian Crease can be associated with all sorts of genetic disorders.

According to what I've read though, it also occurs in 1 out of 30 typical folks and if it's not in combination with any other abnormalities or markers, there is usually nothing to worry about.

The baby seems fine...he was a good size (9 lbs 2 oz), had a healthy size head (95th %), scored 9's on both his apgars and has been nursing like a champ. Overall he looks and seems like a perfectly healthy baby....but there's still that little voice in the back of my head whispering "what if...".

However, I don't want to get all nutty calling my ped. demanding genetic testing quite yet.

Soooooooooo, this sounds like an odd request, but if you could look at your hands, your kiddos hands...your SO's hands and let me know if it really is that common in typical kids, etc.. I would really, really appreciate it and it would help to put my mama's heart at ease a bit.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!!!!!

Jenn

If your baby is acting and developing normally, please don't worry - just keep it in the back of your mind to ask your doctor at his next visit.

My friend suggested that my adopted, oriental-looking, non-English-speaking 12mo might probably be "a mongoloid." So I feel for you! Good luck - I hope it's nothing.

PS, since you asked, my palm looks like the "normal" one. My kids aren't home for me to check theirs.

Diva, Boo and I are all typical crease folks here. I'll check the Littles and Wolf when they get home.

Unless wee one starts displaying some sort of challenges, I wouldn't worry. Mention it to your Dr when he goes for his check up. I'm sure he's seen lots of kids who have the Simian crease and are totally fine.

One of my palms does not look like the "normal" hand, but it dosen't look like the other either. On hand out of four of my kids' hands looks kinda curved like the picture, but also has another line :confused: Don't know if that's any help.

I've always been fascinated with the differences in my two hands. My right hand is the atypical one, and I am EXTREMELY right hand dominant. No idea if there is any connection though.

I would just bring it up with the pediatrician on your next normal baby visit. "Hey, we noticed this and someone told me it can be associated with genetic issues. He seems so perfect, but what's your experience?" And in the meantime, I wouldn't worry. And every time you do start to worry, I would say to myself, "You're tired and you have milk brain, calm down!" (I hope you don't find this insulting. I really used to fight my own craziness during my kids' first year this way, as well as make myself forgive my forgetfulness.)

Ours are all the "typical" crease. But when my kids were tiny with pudgy hands, who knows what I might have seen an interpreted.

DS10 has this on his left hand, and I remember worrying about it too. I actually went as far as asking our local doctor about it, and he wasn't at all concerned, simply saying that it was DSs little peculiarity. I've never even heard that it can be associated with genetic disorders, I think I would have been quite neurotic at the time if I had. DS10 otherwise seems fine, probably the brightest of my four, a little hyper (which is how we started homeschooling :001_smile:), but very able, loving and charming :tongue_smilie:. One of DS12's teachers also has this, but no other problems that I know of.

I'm sure it'll be OK, but I do know how all these little things can nag away at you when you feel so protective about your perfect, precious little bundle.

Oh, and Congratulations! I'm really envious ...

Best wishes

Cassy

And every time you do start to worry, I would say to myself, "You're tired and you have milk brain, calm down!" (I hope you don't find this insulting. I really used to fight my own craziness during my kids' first year this way, as well as make myself forgive my forgetfulness.)

Thanks for the responses :).

And no, I'm not insulted at all, lol. My other son is almost 10 years old and I had forgotten how much anxiety having a new baby can bring!

One of my twins has one. He is fine. Our pedi was not affiliated with the hospital where I chose to have my twins (wanted a level 3 NICU just in case) and the neonatologist at the hopsital identified it. Talked to the pedi about it when we went for our first visit with him -- he said it was fine. Of course, you always worry a little, but now at 6.5, he is totally normal (whatever that means in a 6.5 year old little boy:D).

Please don't worry, but definitely talk to your pedi on your next visit and let him/her ease your mind.

I have a Simian crease on my left palm (my right palm is split). I think I turned out okay. I never heard it was an issue.

ETA: If it is genetic I haven't passed anything onto my kids either. They are all on-target developmentally :)

I also have one on my left and my right is normal. None of my three children have it. I don't have any abnormalities that I know of.

I had a similar scare with a condition that can be associated with some genetic mutations, but occurs often on its own. Those worries are hard to shake.

You have a beautiful baby!

P.S. - Here's a photo of the little bug...everytime he's nice and sleepy I try and get some sweet, sleepy newborn photos...but every time he wakes up and argues with me, lol.

Oh my goodness, that is a perfect newborn if I ever saw one! Absolutely adorable!

Yes, do smack that person upside the head for putting more stress in your life. Yikes.