Menu

Used book/textbook sites

these are all trade sites, but I often find what I need there.

Paperbackswap.com

bookmooch.com

thredup.com - this is mainly a clothing & toy swap site, but I have gotten textbooks too. If you PM me I can give you a code for $5 off a box for signing up as a new member.

And this one is for needy homeschool families who can't afford the books they need - thebooksamaritan.com - they provide materials free of charge no questions asked to anyone who needs them in order to home school. And they also take donations of materials too - so if you end up with things you can't use or sell, then please consider sending them here.

Used books/textbooks also frequently available through homeschool sale & swap boards:

I have had good success with these:

Well Trained Mind

Homeschool Classifieds

Vegsource (homeschool forum section)

I have never used these:

Home Educator's Resource

The Backpack

Used Homeschool Curriculum

Educational Accents

About.com's Homeschooler's Trading Zone forum

Educator's Exchange

The Homeschooler's Curriculum Swap

Curriculum Share

I have also used these sites with good results:

Edward R. Hamilton -- cheaper because they are book remainders (last of a printing)

Books A Million -- remainders

All Books 4 Less -- remainders

Abe -- used; esp. good for finding out of print

Alibris -- used

Powells -- used

Amazon (look for used book options when you do a search)

Half.com

Here are some I have not tried:

Another Day Books

Min's Book Cellar

Paperback Swap -- book trade

And there are auction-style or co-op buying websites; my one experience here was good:

Homeschool Buyer's Co-op

no personal experience with these:

e-bay

Homeschool Bid

You might also look for local options:

- local homeschool group, used curriculum sales or just connect with individuals to buy/sell/swap

- local homeschool group's website, with a classifieds or sale/swap section

- local library book sales

- used book stores

- second-hand stores, such as Good Will, Salvation Army

- Craig's List offerings

- yard sales

Edited by Lori D.

I was just shopping for a used science textbook. I did notice that on some sites (such as Amazon), the publication date was often not listed. On Abebooks, I found something different -- a current edition of the book I wanted, right title, right year, amazingly low price -- then when I checked the ISBN number listed on Abebooks with the textbook publisher's website, I saw that the book offered was actually a guided reading supplement to the textbook. Just saying -- there are so many editions and so many supplements to textbooks that it pays to be careful.

I may try textbooksrus.com -- I have not used them, but they seem to have a good selection. The negative reviews I read seem to come mainly from sellers. But I would love to hear input from WTMers who have used this site.

In general, I find Abebooks has excellent selection, range of prices and more info about each book than on Amazon Marketplace. I have also had good experiences with Alibris & Powell's.

• 4 weeks later...