Menu

Salad

I'm making salads with everything on top but the kitchen sink. I have a large selection of toppings which we choose weekly or biweekly. This week it's thawed artichoke hearts, cooked lentils and black beans, corn, red pepper, sometimes boiled eggs, purple onion, cucumber. I'm allowing Ranch this week until I find a healthy comparison, and I don't put a ton on. I put half a can of chopped green chili on top of the ranch. It is HEAVENLY,

The bed is always the same: mixed spring with herbs, baby spinach, romaine.

Last weeks toppings included baby corn, steamed brussels sprouts (fresh only or they will be bitter!) sunflower seeds, unsweetened, dried cranberries, peppers, cucumbers, tomato, asparagus.

Mix it up. It won't be too bad!

You guys are just...odd.

Cranberries? Olives? Ewwww!

Croutons? Not for gluten/wheat sensitive ppl.

The most important question, though...when do you eat it? Before or after appetizers?

:tongue_smilie:

So sorry. I didn't think about gluten. Is there such a thing as gluten-free croutons? I admit I know next to nothing about gluten other than how much trouble it causes many people. I will refrain from using croutons. Cranberries, however, are actually quite tasty on green salads. Especially when mixed with sunflower kernels and walnuts. Yummy.

As for when I eat salad.... it depends. Is is a side salad or my main meal? It also depends on when the server brings it. Sometimes it's before the appetizer, sometimes, it's served at the same time as my entree, and sometimes it's served when my entree is almost gone. Maybe I should be specific on when I want it? :tongue_smilie:

So sorry. I didn't think about gluten. Is there such a thing as gluten-free croutons? I admit I know next to nothing about gluten other than how much trouble it causes many people. I will refrain from using croutons. Cranberries, however, are actually quite tasty on green salads. Especially when mixed with sunflower kernels and walnuts. Yummy.

As for when I eat salad.... it depends. Is is a side salad or my main meal? It also depends on when the server brings it. Sometimes it's before the appetizer, sometimes, it's served at the same time as my entree, and sometimes it's served when my entree is almost gone. Maybe I should be specific on when I want it? :tongue_smilie:

I forgot about sunflower seeds... Almonds and pecans are pretty yummy too. Carrots, red onion, tomatoes, zucchini.... Almost any veggie is welcome on mine.

I usually have my salad as a side at the same time, usually on the same plate (depends on how "runny" the rest of the meal is).

.... after the main course and before the dessert (if any). This was what we experienced in our summers in France.

Laura

See and your server should know this and therefore automatically serve your salad after your main entree but everyone else should get their's before the entree but after the appetizer of course.

See and your server should know this and therefore automatically serve your salad after your main entree....

... by the cut of my jib that my family was vaccinated for typhoid (yes, really) before venturing into French campsites in the late 60s, and there discovered delayed salad.

Laura

With tomatoes, green onions, a little sharp cheddar, a few toasted pecans, and a little avocado when it's in season. Not popular, not trendy, but it's ALL MINE!!

But, read my mind! Figure out what I want on MY salad, and when to serve it!! DUH!

*snicker*

You guys are just...odd.

Cranberries? Olives? Ewwww!

Croutons? Not for gluten/wheat sensitive ppl.

The most important question, though...when do you eat it? Before or after appetizers?

:tongue_smilie:

Can't you just MAKE croutons out of that nasty rice bread you people eat???

:lol:

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

OMG, salads, are like THE most IMPORTANT meal of the DAY!!! Like DUHHHHH!!! How DARE you ladies THINK that I should WAIT for MY darn SALAD!!!

OMG, like, the restaurant should KNOW that I am coming and the SALAD should be WAITING for ME at the DOOR. DUH!!!! Like, SERIOUSLY, I am a 34 year old WOMAN who is turning 35 soon, and I am just, like SO completely CONFUSED why you HOMESCHOOLING woman are PICKING on ME!!! I mean, seriously, like, who actually CARES what OTHER people need or want??

OMG, I am, like, SO going to STAMP MY FEET if you ladies don't start AGREEING with me!!!

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

OMG, salads, are like THE most IMPORTANT meal of the DAY!!! Like DUHHHHH!!! How DARE you ladies THINK that I should WAIT for MY darn SALAD!!!

OMG, like, the restaurant should KNOW that I am coming and the SALAD should be WAITING for ME at the DOOR. DUH!!!! Like, SERIOUSLY, I am a 34 year old WOMAN who is turning 35 soon, and I am just, like SO completely CONFUSED why you HOMESCHOOLING woman are PICKING on ME!!! I mean, seriously, like, who actually CARES what OTHER people need or want??

OMG, I am, like, SO going to STAMP MY FEET if you ladies don't start AGREEING with me!!!

Just pointing out that you forgot to mention that you are STARVING TO DEATH!!

Is it wrong that I've thought of these threads during the day and starting laughing to myself? That's kind of sad, isn't it?

I don't think so. What's sad is that I've been trying to find a way to make a "Phantom Pooper" image to post up on this thread and can't figure out how to do it without photoshop. :D

Here you go, the troll is deleted but others have quoted them starting 2nd page :001_smile:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341304

This person swore they were 34 years old and married (no kids though but acted like it was perfectly reasonable to come on a homeschooling forum since there were lots of "general" posts on our general board anyway) and rant about their waitresses not asking whether they wanted salad or appetizer first and that they should always get salad first since hungry people don't like to wait for food at a restaurant).

She used lots of caps, exclamation points, and said "DUHHH!!!!" a lot to prove her point that we were a bunch of nincompoops who just didn't get it.

She was an idiot yet somehow amusing nonetheless. Either that or we just made her amusing with our witty comebacks. Or I was extremely bored that night. Or Ibbygirl posted Russell for me. Or a combination of all of the above, I don't know. :lol: