Menu

Anyone thinking about next year yet?

:iagree:

We have similar ones that we use for all sorts of subjects. They come in more handy than I would have imagined for 5th grade.

Recently we've been using them in logic/critical thinking. We would discuss a sentence and she would write an answer such as: ~G-->H; G-->~H then hold it up for me to see. If the answer was incorrect I would write the correct version on mine and explain. It made something that was new and somewhat strange much more bearable ---(and dare I say---fun).

I've been looking for a dry erase board that is like graph paper - anyone seen something like that? Thinking ahead to graphing and still want to use our dry erase boards!

I'm in the midst of planning, and mostly doing this: :willy_nilly: because everything I had tentatively planned Ariel wants to do NOW, and not worry about the stuff we're already working on. She will be 8, and in 3rd grade by age. My original plan was:

Math Mammoth 4, possibly with Beast Academy

Galore Park Junior English 3, ideally with MCT Island, if I can afford it

All About Spelling 4/5

Human Body study based on the one at the Guesthollow website

A Child's History of the World with extra books and activity guides I bought for SOTW 1&2 (we only made it 1/4 of the way through SOTW2), though I'm also considering using Galore Park's history books with extra lit...

Finish The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, since we just started it this month

Meet the Masters, as we're clearly not going to finish it this year. I've had it since July and we've done one lesson. Also considering A Child's History of Art - Painting.

Switch from Spanish to Latin with I Speak Latin because I can't afford a tutor and don't have any bilingual friends. Might also add SSL or Minimus.

Piano lessons again.

Now, I may switch to doing the human body study once we finish our astronomy unit in April (if she hasn't moved on to something else by then), and just do a living books approach to history. Anyone know of good resources for information about pirates?

I totally know how that feels Aurelia about your little one wanting to do it now. I opted to just start Singapore now with dd and will probably begin some of our handwriting now since she's ready. She's more than ready for the SM that we are doing...it's a review right now but we should be moving quickly through it until 1b.

I have 4 that I will be homeschooling next year. Their ages/official grades in Aug. will be 12(7th), 10(5th), 7(2nd), and 5(K). This is our plan for next year. I'm sure we will do some other things as well, informal electronics, typing,etc.

Seventh Grade ds:

• Bible w/dad
  • Devotionals A Ready Defense/ Evidence That Demands a Verdict/ The Mind of the Maker/ Desiring God/ Christian Life/ The God Who is There/ The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Sequential Spelling 4&5
  • Italics Handwriting G
  • MCT LA Voyage
  • MCT LA Magic Lens 1
  • Usborne Encyclopedia History of the World/The New World/The Age of Revolution
  • MUS Pre Algebra/Algebra
  • Latina Christina II
  • Traditional Logic II
  • Nature Studies
  • Apologia General Science
  • Outside activities
    Drawing Art Classes
    Music Lessons

Fifth Grade ds:

• Bible w/dad
  • Sequential Spelling 3
  • MCT LA Town
  • MUS Zeta/Pre Algebra
  • Story of the World III/A Child's History of the World/AO YR 8&9
  • Latina Christina II
  • Thinking Toolbox/ Fallacy Detective
  • Finish Apologia Zoo 3, Apologia Anatomy & Begin Apologia Astronomy (we won't likely finish it next year)
  • Outside activities
  • Occupational Therapy
    Physical Therapy
    Music Lessons
    Tae Kwon Do

Second Grade ds:

• Sequential Spelling 1
  • MCT LA Island
  • Story of the World III/Ambleside Online YR 3&4
  • MUS Gamma/Delta
  • Prima Latina
  • Outside activities
  • Finish Apologia Zoo 3, Apologia Anatomy & Begin Apologia Astronomy (we won't likely finish it next year)
  • Outside activities
    Clay Classes
    Music Lessons

Kindergarten dd:

• Phonics Pathways (finish)
  • Reading Pathways (finish)
  • FLL 1&2
  • MUS Alpha/Beta
  • Story of the World III/Ambleside Online YR 3&4
  • Prima Latina
  • Finish Apologia Zoo 3 Junior, Apologia Anatomy Junior & Begin Apologia Astronomy Junior (we won't likely finish it next year)
  • Outside activities
    Dance Classes

Here's what I think we will do for 8th.

Classical Writing: Herodotus, Shakespeare

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, great books studies

Teaching company lectures including Early, High and Late Middle Ages, and Dante

Life of Fred Advanced Algebra with Khan Academy

Third Form Latin--probably using an on-line class

Story of Science: Newton at the Center along with some kind of Physical Science

Traditional Logic I

Possibly Human Geography with AP exam (haven't figured out the time commitment for this yet)

Spanish 2 through outside class

Either business computers or graphic design/digital photography

Performance choir, piano lessons

Horseback riding

Brilliant! Dd started graphing equations this week.

(TT does a great job of presenting slope-intercept & fractional slopes. Who knew?) :)

When my older dc did CD alg at home we photocopied pages of pre-written graphs. Younger dds might appreciate a dry erase board. Different colored markers and all that jazz.

I've been looking for a dry erase board that is like graph paper - anyone seen something like that? Thinking ahead to graphing and still want to use our dry erase boards!

(TT does a great job of presenting slope-intercept & fractional slopes. Who knew?) :)

When my older dc did CD alg at home we photocopied pages of pre-written graphs. Younger dds might appreciate a dry erase board. Different colored markers and all that jazz.

I have a 10 pack of centimeter grid dry erase boards sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. If either of you were nearby I could just give you a few! (And not have to keep explaining my *desperate need* to have 10 of these boards when my husband asks why I haven't found a better place to store them.)

I have a 10 pack of centimeter grid dry erase boards sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. If either of you were nearby I could just give you a few! (And not have to keep explaining my *desperate need* to have 10 of these boards when my husband asks why I haven't found a better place to store them.)

I would, but I'm in South Texas. Quite a ways from you I think :D

I am pretty set for the list for my DS, , not quite for my DD, however

DS will do

NEM 1. (I will actually start him next month but I will start slowly with review from SM IP/CWP 6 and trying to finish key to algebra before next school year starts)

Mr Q Chemistry , physics (half of each)

Mandarin

SOTW 3

DD tentatively will do

Miquon Red/blue

Mr Q , My older usually reads to her, She Really just tagging along

ETC or AAS, she has done ETC 3. We took a long break since she is doing great with HOP. we should finishing HOP 2nd grade before the next school year starts... Not sure what I gonna do with her on reading yet.

Mandarin

Edited by jennynd

I've never seen those dry erase graph boards. I laminated graph paper for ds a long time ago. I made two versions, one had the x and y axis labeled and one was just plain graph paper.

Here's what I think we will do for 8th.

Classical Writing: Herodotus, Shakespeare

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, great books studies

Teaching company lectures including Early, High and Late Middle Ages, and Dante

Life of Fred Advanced Algebra with Khan Academy

Third Form Latin--probably using an on-line class

Story of Science: Newton at the Center along with some kind of Physical Science

Traditional Logic I

Possibly Human Geography with AP exam (haven't figured out the time commitment for this yet)

Spanish 2 through outside class

Either business computers or graphic design/digital photography

Performance choir, piano lessons

Horseback riding

Your 8th grade sounds a lot like what I have planned for ds. I was also thinking about AP Human Geography. Do you have a curriculum in mind for that?

Your 8th grade sounds a lot like what I have planned for ds. I was also thinking about AP Human Geography. Do you have a curriculum in mind for that?

I haven't thought this one through much at all. I've heard that it is the easiest of the AP tests and so is a good one to start with. I'll look at the resources recommended on the CollegeBoard and WTM.

oooh, I'm already thinking for next year, and we're only a few weeks into this year!

Next year, 3rd for DD I'm planning:

MCT - Island (dropping LLATL for this)

CW Aesop

Singapore 3/4 (should be up to 3B/4A ish by then I think)

Beast Academy 3 (after finishing Miquon)

Continuing with the rest, Violin, Piano, Russian, BFSU, AO Y3 (History & whatever else we like that is not covered in MCT/CW)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have next year figured out! I'm 100% sure I want to keep HS, just waiting for DH to catch up. :lol:

For first grade, this is what I know for sure

Math: Singapore 2B and hopefully moving on to BA. (I have all the miquon books, but just can't seem to figure out a way to work with them without skipping around a ton. Does anyone have any advice on this?) we will drop dream box, DS hates it.

LA: mct island & working on a reading list. I also have FLL, but I'm not sure if I'll use it. Also, thinking of switching to SP instead of AAS.

HWT: first grade

Science: nancy Larson 1

Still deciding,

Latin: either GSWL or LL

Social studies: I bought SOTW, but I'm not that excited about it.

I'm always trying to plan ahead so I can round up books and other resources.

We're continuing on with these...

Zaner-Bloser (transitioning from HWOT right now), may just focus on copy work after completion of book 1 or we may move onto book 2

Hooked on Phonics + Explode the Code

Singapore Math - Finishing up Earlybird now, will proceed with 1A and 1B

Adding/Switching to...

Geography & World Cultures - Using Evan-Moor Beginning Geography, plus a host of other resources. Probably will go the lapbook route.

Science - Will start the WTM four-year cycle.

I'm sure I'll add in a some enrichment/art activities here and there. Trying to decide whether to pick up a foreign language.

I changed things. Again. :lol:

For the rest of this year, we will be using Amanda Bennet unit studies for our writing/copywork/scripture quotes/history/culture/geography/just plain fun. On top of that, we'll have AAS, Miquon, MEP, logic, our states/Presidents survey, BFSU, and a weekly science class. I'm dropping ETC for my oldest plus possibly dropping MFW K again for my younger dd. Next year we'll be doing countries & cultures with Amanda Bennet unit studies, plus MEP for the youngest, Miquon & Beast Academy for the oldest, AAS, RSO Life and Chemistry, and logic. (And the next year we'll hopefully be ready for SOTW 1. History and reading are NOT on dd's favorites list yet, lol.)

We are done or close to done with a lot of the stuff I assumed would take until June to finish. So I am adding things in now and thinking about next year.

I am planning on starting him with either an Epgy or CTY course or two next school year. We put that off this year but I think it will be a good thing next year. I am thinking the writing and lit class offerings would be helpful.

We are planning on doing SOTW 2 from next month-fall or so and then doing SOTW 3. Looking at History of Us for US History to start later this spring and just continue as long as it lasts. History has become a fave subject of his, which is kinda nice.

Figuring on Atelier 4 and MCT Level 2

Not sure what to do in Latin after Minimus getting started that we are doing this year.

He will continue to do an out of the house science class, as well as piano, a group art class and sewing. :001_smile:

Continuing Spanish with Total Immersion Spanish.

We do our own thing based on the MW Spell it site for spelling so we will keep going with that.

For Math, we will keep going with Singapore to make sure that there are no gaps in his knowledge but I am looking at getting the Problemoids books from the Royal Fireworks Press since he likes problem solving.

Edited by kijipt