Menu

Anyone thinking about next year yet?

If it's not clear, I am.:lol:

I'm not exactly sure we will still be HS next year, but if we are, I'd like to start planning. If DS goes to school, he'll start in K, and hopefully move to first by mid year. If we HS, he'll go straight to 1st.

I'm currently thinking about switching up a couple things for next year, I really want to at least buy MCT grammar island, even if we don't use it until 2nd or 3rd grade. I think we will stick with singapore and miquon for math. (Any word on Beast Academy lately?)

I was not too proactive with BFSU. I think I want to try NL science. I also want to incorporate Latin or another foreign language.

What about you? Anyone feel like sharing next year's plans?

I'm working on next years tentative lesson plans now - I need time to find materials used so I start early.

It looks like we'll be using:

MCP Math B

Climbing to Good English 2

Pathway readers grade 2 & 3 with workbooks

Behold & see 2 from CHC science

Inquisikids DVDs

Zaner Bloser Handwriting A Way to Self Expression grade 2 materials

R&S Spelling 3

R&S Our FatherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s World

Tour the Continents Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CHC

Map Skills B

And some type of history program - not sure yet.

I am.

So far, I think we're going to do a year of dystopian novels for English. I'm thinking we'll start with the Hunger Games series (to suck him in) and then move on to more classic stuff.

Since we didn't get as far as I intended with world history this year, I think we'll continue with that. I've turned over history to my son, though. He's spending a few weeks at a time on some historical event or person or general place/era and doing some kind of project for each one. So, that's pretty loose and doesn't require me to plan it.

Math is a big question mark, because my determinedly liberal arts son recently started saying he wants to consider a STEM degree. He may go ahead and start Algebra II this summer, finish it in the first semester of next year, and then go strait into pre-calc. Or, if the mood passes before then, we'll just have him start Algebra II in the fall.

I have no idea about science yet, except that my son has been saying he wants to do some physics. I'm slowly collecting potential resources as they become available on BookMooch and PaperbackSwap, and we'll make decisions this summer.

Elective ideas kicking around at the moment include kitchen chemistry and computer programming. And I assume he will continue with choir, dance and theatre for extras.

I am. My tentative plans for my (almost) 10yo are:

English: K12 Lit 8, Hake 7, WWS 1 (finish)

Math: Derek Owens Algebra I

History: K12's Human Odyssey volume 1 with *lots* of supplemental reading. I haven't decided whether we're going to do the online course.

Science: Chemistry in the Community

Foreign Language: German I with OSU

At the moment I'm actively planning the chemistry course. It is going to take a lot of work on my part, but since I'm farming out a lot as well as using materials I've used before for the rest of it, I'm ok with having a more planning intensive course.

I have most of next year planned out already. I'll have three students next year.

Third Grade dd:

AAS 4/5

CW-Aesop A

MCT LA Island level including literature

finish RightStart C/Singapore 2A & 2B, then use Beast Academy 3 and maybe RightStart D

Ancient Egypt

MPH 3/4 science

Latina Christiana 1/fun supplement (probably Minimus Secundus)

La Clase Divertida 2

Artistic Pursuits K-3 2

various resources for faith formation

First Grade ds:

AAS 1/2

narration, copywork, and simple grammar with Bible stories and fairy tales

HWT 1

Miquon/Singapore 1A & 1B (I think)

American history biographies

nature study

various resources for faith formation

Preschool dd:

Along the Alphabet Path plus some activities from OM K

HWT K

word building or AAS 1 (if I think she's ready)

math: maybe RightStart A? still unsure

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

I already have what we'll continue on with next year...

SM 3B, 4A

WWE2 finish, start (and hopefully finish) WWE3

FLL2 finish, start (and hopefully finish) FFL3

AAS 4, 5 (and maybe? 6)

Story of US (we'll do SOTW 3 & 4 the following year)

Complete Book of Geography

Science I'm still working on.

I'm trying to think about next year, although older ds might go to ps. If he doesn't, this is what I have so far:

Math: AOPS "Intro to Algebra" for Algebra II

History: Probably K12 Human Odyssey book 3 and National History Day

Grammar & Writing: not sure

Science: probably "Conceptual Physics"

Literature: Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Spanish: Hopefully Breaking the Barrier II

Art: ??

Trumpet, swim team, lego robotics, co-op classes, etc.

For younger ds (6th grade)

Math: AOPS Pre-algebra, maybe moving into algebra

History: Probably K12 Human Odyssey book 1 and National History Day

Grammar & Writing: Growing with Grammar and ??

Science: no idea

Literature: Maybe Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Spanish: Rosetta stone?

Art: ??

Cello, swim team, lego robotics, co-op classes, etc.

I'd love to add in a kitchen chemistry course and more music theory, possibly some music composition. They both did a lot of Geography this year, so I don't feel like we need to do a lot of Geography next year. A computer programming course would go well with their lego robotics, but maybe we'll try to do that over the summer.

If it's not clear, I am.:lol:

I'm not exactly sure we will still be HS next year, but if we are, I'd like to start planning. If DS goes to school, he'll start in K, and hopefully move to first by mid year. If we HS, he'll go straight to 1st.

Have you spoken with your district about moving him up? My district basically told me they don't skip boys. DS read at a 2nd grade level, did addition and subtraction of two digit numbers, and had amazing social skills. He missed the cutoff by 3 weeks and they would not even meet with him to test him. He would have started preschool. I would see what their rate of advancment is.

I'm currently thinking about switching up a couple things for next year, I really want to at least buy MCT grammar island, even if we don't use it until 2nd or 3rd grade. I think we will stick with singapore and miquon for math. (Any word on Beast Academy lately?)

I was not too proactive with BFSU. I think I want to try NL science. I also want to incorporate Latin or another foreign language.

What about you? Anyone feel like sharing next year's plans?

We will be sticking with the curriculum in my signature, just moving up to the next level.

We school continuously, but it does seem that many of our programs switchover in August-ish, so here's what I'm planning/hoping for/doing:

Dc(13)

• AO Year 9
    Science: Integrated biology and chemistry, using a menagerie of programs and resources
    Writing: Bravewriter online classes; CW Maxim
    Language: Help siblings, begin Mandarin
    Music: Help littles with piano, help almost-12 with guitar, begin oboe
    Elective: AP Psychology
    Co-op: Spanish 2
    Math: Harold Jacobs and Khan Academy geometry
    Scouts and swimming

Dc(almost 12)

• AO Year 9 (combined with older)
    Writing: CW Maxim
    Math: VideoText Algebra and AoPS
    Science: BFSU for grades 6-8 in a co-op class
    Language: Help siblings, Latin Prep Book 2, Pimsleur Modern Hebrew 2,
    Music: 2nd year of guitar, and help littles with piano
    Elective: Computer Science Pure and Simple
    Scouts and swimming

Twins (7, turning 8 in November)

• HUFI Year 4, with some AO in the mix
    Writing: HWOT
    Language: help littles, Hey Andrew! Levels 3/4, LFC3
    Math: SM 4 and MEP 4
    Music: Continue piano
    Science: BFSU 3-5 and Lyrical - both very leisurely/relaxed
    Scouts for both, gymmastics for Twin A, swimming for Twin B

Dc(5) - Kindergarten

• Main: FIAR
    Writing: HWOT
    Phonics: OPGTR
    Language: SSL, ASL DVDs, Lil' Pim Hebrew
    Science: Tagalong
    Gymnastics
    Math: Family Math activities and gentle MEP Year 2
    Lots and lots of twaddle-free books!

Dc(3) - Pre-K

• ASL DVDs, SSL, Lil' Pim Hebrew, toddler gymnastics, tagalong with Dc(5)

Done in pairs and/or as a family: Bible, singing, composer study, artist study, nature study, geography supplements, Family Math activities, current events, Plutarch, Shakespeare, memory work, and handicrafts.

Edited by SuperDad

I'm working on my "next step" list for DD (7)

Language Arts-

MCT Town

Sonlight Core 6 (maybe 7, too-she's been doing all the books for two cores a year so far).

Copywork

Not sure where to go on Spelling at this point-maybe something designed for spelling bee prep?

Math

Finish SM through 5B/ Fred Decimals/Percents, Start Fred Pre-Algebra and some other Pre-Algebra or light algebra program, SM 6 IP/CWP.

Science-

Lyrical Life Science, CK12 Middle School Biology Honors, Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with Biology (torn on whether to continue the lab class-she enjoys it, but I don't know how much it repeats from year to year since it's a 2nd-5th grade class).

History-

Sonlight Core 6 (and possibly 7)

Latin-Cambridge Latin 2, LfC Activity book, Headventure land, and maybe I can get her to actually watch the videos?

Spanish-McGraw Hill Lectura gr 3 (Reading book in Spanish, with workbook and other activities, done completely in Spanish), watching videos, as many conversational experiences as I can get

Greek-Athenaze??

PE-Dance and gymnastics classes, cheer team

Music-Piano lessons, listening, theory, composer study

Art-I'd like to get her into some form of studio art class, since she enjoys it, artist study.

I ordered everything I need already. DD will be in 1st:

FLL 1

WWE 1

Spelling Workout A

Singapore Standards 2A and B with IP and CWP

A Reason For Handwriting A

Sonlight A with 2nd grade readers and lots of library readers to supplement since we e already started readers 2

How to teach Art to Children

Apologia Astronomy

I think that is everything.

DS is going to finish out high school in a private school, so I get one more year (2012-13) before that. :) Also, we're moving across the country, just to make things more interesting.

So next year is going to be an extension of this year.... finishing whatever the move interrupts and adding on anything that our new home offers:

• Math: this year Art of Problem Solving Volume 1, next year Volume 2 and maybe an online class
  • Science: this year Field Ecology with a river focus, next year Field Ecology with a Great Lakes focus, and enough extra reading to make it AP Environmental Science. We're also doing Electronics (which is definitely not getting done like I'd like it to this year), so that's going to slop over into next year as well.
  • History and Literature: This year North American History and Lit (US, Canada, Mexico) with a focus on immigration and identity. Next year finishing up whatever we didn't get to and adding in Great Lakes History and Lit.
  • Spanish 3 this year (and through the summer), Spanish 4 next year
  • Latin 2 this year, Latin 3 next year

We're doing a bunch of testing too... AP Statistics this year, AMC math exams and NLE Latin exams this year and next, Biology (E) SAT2 probably at the end of this year or beginning of next... possibly a Spanish SAT2 next year... basically whatever we can do to make it clear what he's done before he switches to the private school.

Edited by KAR120C

Love reading all your plans. I usually can't predict so far ahead because our interests are changing all the time but you guys are tempting me!

We seem to have fallen naturally into a Jan-Oct/Nov cycle. Here's what we may use with son who will be 10yo next Jan:

Math: Finish Dolciani Algebra II, begin Foerster's Precalc or use Derek Owens for Precalc (or we may decide to switch to a problem-solving focus and sign up for math competition prep if he wants that).

Science: Understanding the Universe and The Cosmos if he's ready for it (plus second half of Friendly Chemistry if we can get the first half done this year).

Languages: German II with OSU. I will add Visual Latin if the boy agrees.

History/Art History/ Geography: continue watching documentaries 1x or 2x a week and review them in his journal (or start a blog).

Literature: Whatever he's ready for!

Things may change radically!

Edited by quark
forgot punctuation!

i definitely am. my kiddoes are going to PS at the moment. we needed a break d/t some major life changes. but it's back to what i feel comfortable with.

i think DD( 6/7th grade) will do

lightening lit

AoPs PreAlgbra

MCT Word with a word

we will use Dr. Dave's Teaching Manuals for science even though i don't have an actual curriculum to follow yet

DS (5thish grade)will do

MCT town series including the new literature component

maybe Singapore,

they will both do latin for children B, something science, Story of the world (maybe)

i would like to incorporate a monthly project for each of them. like i said this year we fell off, i had a baby and remarried their dad so i have been thinking a lot about what worked, didn't work and what they were lacking based on their PS experience. :D

Here's what we're thinking for DS6 for next year:

Math: AOPS (will probably finish with SM 5A/B and 6A/B by then, or perhaps take a break after SM 5 and do just enrichment over the summer, then on to AOPS)

Science: BFSU? or another secular curriculum, plus computer programming and robotics if he continues his interests in those

History: To be determined (something secular)

Grammar and composition: Assorted Evan Moor and other workbooks for grammar, composition TBD

Foreign language: Spanish

Instrument: Keyboard

Our choices may be influenced by joining a co-op, which we haven't done yet.

I'm planning for next year, but I'm afraid to list or purchase anything yet! :lol:

Sometimes they dawdle along at a certain level but then leap to the next. Reading is a perfect example. They were both delayed readers but then went from readers to chapter books to everyone's astonishment. It must be some weird genetic quirk.

I plan to order in April or May and will assess at that time and make final choices.

I love reading about what others are planning!

Dude. I've been planning next year since I bought the items for this year, LOL. We school through the summer, but will be doing a lighter load in summer with art and music and science, fun things like that.

Next year, I plan to use:

The Sponge (2nd-ish):

Math:

Miquon (several levels at once depending on the subject)

Beast Academy if it's out

If Beast Academy isn't out, Singapore 2A/2B and IPs

Science:

RSO Life, then RSO Chemistry, then BFSU II

English:

ETC 5 if it's not finished, ETC 6

AAS 3

Possibly MCT Island, if we've finished English for the Thoughtful Child.

Reading a ton.

Logic:

... something. Probably Logic Liftoff and the Creative Thinking Skills book 2 if I can find it cheap.

Languages:

Signing Time

Random Spanish stuff. Maybe Rosetta Stone.

I'm pondering Galloping the Globe. I want to do some sort of loose tour of the world.

The Drama (K-1st):

Math:

MEP 1 at least.

Not sure if I'll add Singapore or Miquon.

Science:

Tagging along on the RSO & BFSU

English:

ETC 1.5 and 2

AAS 1

Happy Phonics

Logic:

Not sure yet. She burned through the Lollipops. Maybe Primarily Logic.

Languages:

Signing Time

Random Spanish stuff.

All I actually need to buy are the next Miquon book, the BFSU II if we get to it, Beast Academy if it's out, ETC 1.5/2, AAS 3, and Galloping the Globe. I think I have Logic Liftoff here somewhere.

Dd7 will be 8/3rd...

CLE Bible 3

SM 3 (finish), TT6, HoE

CLE Reading 3

WWW3/WWE3

GWG 3/MCT Island

Spelling City

SOTW 1

MPH 3/4, Happy Scientist, lots of books

Violin/Piano lessons

Tennis lessons

Art class

Scratch & Lego robotics

Visual Latin/LFC

Dd8 will be 9/4th...

CLE Bible 4

CD Prealg, TT Alg 1, HoE verbal problems, Cybershala weekly classes

WWW4/GWG5/MCT Town

CE 1/Word Roots A-1 cd/Calvert Spelling 6 cd

SOTW 1, KF History, Ancient lit selections, Greek Mythology (and lots of it), WA state history

Science Explorer cd-roms, Thames & Kosmos home experiments, OMSI classes, possibly public school science 2x/wk

Piano/Voice lessons

Tennis lessons

Scratch & Lego robotics

Visual Latin/LFC (gently)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
updated

Here are some things I'm thinking about for next year (we begin the next "grade" in September):

DD (will be 6):

Bible: BJU Bible Truths 2

Math: Singapore Math 4a-ish, maybe Beast Academy

LA: BJU English 2/3, BJU Spelling 3

Science: Noeo Physics or perhaps Sonlight

Some other stuff too :tongue_smilie:

DD (will be 4):

Thinking about Sonlight P4/5

Singapore Math

I don't know...:tongue_smilie:

We will keep going with what we are doing now. We might add in a third math program in French because I am ridiculous like that. We are almost done with the set of McGuffey readers we have been using, so we will probably switch to the middle of a different edition when that happens. I will keep the table clean enough to do handwriting whenever the fancy strikes us.

Actually, my real plans are to live in chaos. We might move within the next 4 months, and have a baby coming in 6 months. I am trying to find comfort in the fact that it would be impossible for us to fall behind, but I'm really terrified of what my children will be scheming if I'm occupied.

I've had my spreadsheet going since I purchased this year's stuff also. :lol:

Currently I'm leaning toward:

DS1 - 8 - 3rd grade

• Singapore 5 and hit some topics of MM 6, then either fill in with some prealgebra (I got Dolciani 1985 this week, but I think it'd be a bit dry for him) or take Jacobs Algebra at half pace (I think he'd really like that). The latter wouldn't be started until towards the end of the year, probably.
  • MCT Island (whole package) + Lit and KISS Grammar
  • WWE3 and maybe try some Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary?
  • HTTS with workbook 3
  • US History, mama made
  • Still waffling on science - either doing Chemistry (was leaning toward ES or possibly just get the books that ES/Noeo use and some chem kits and do it on the fly) or just let him do interest led with lots of science kits. I dunno. I plan to get the other 2 Apologia books I don't have yet, and he loves reading those on his own, so maybe we could do some stuff from those.
  • Getting Started With Latin (just to try it out)

DS2 - 5 - K:

• Finish up Singapore EM K if we haven't already (we're halfway through book B, but don't do it that often, so I imagine we'll finish it this summer) and move into Singapore PM 1A.
  • Continue Webster's Speller and I See Sam combo.
  • Finish up HWT K and start doing some simple copywork.
  • Tag along in science and history.

DS3 - 3 - PreK3

• Not planning to actually do anything with him, but I should probably get a new set of R&S ABC series just in case he asks to do school. He knows colors, numbers, and letters, but those workbooks include cut and paste activities and such. And hey, they're cheap. :D

We'll be mostly keeping on course.

DD the Younger

• MEP Y3b/4a or Beast Academy, CWP 3
  • GDI C
  • finish WWE 2, start 3
  • finish SWS 2, then move to Sequential Spelling
  • GWG 3
  • cobbled together SOTW based history
  • MPH Science 3/4
  • memory work

DD the Elder

• AofPS Book 2, Algebra 1, Counting and Probability, and then ?
  • continue Human Odyssey/TWiAT/Story of Science; US history overview via Steve Sheinkin, some TBD, and some historical fiction (more in depth study starting next year); a state history topic TBD (this year is Oregon Trail... we follow what the schools do because there's usually a tie-in with her Jr. Scout troop)
  • finish LP2, start LP3
  • MCTLA
  • cobbled together lit studies, assigned books
  • GDI F
  • start conceptual biology, physics, and chemistry; hoping to spread these over three years, but I'm not optimistic I can stretch it out that long
  • reading year: theme/content to be determined (science has been a huge hit)
  • mostly drop Spanish for a year -- insufficient funds for a tutor
  • memory work, including another mini-epic (this year's is "The Hunting of the Snark") and the remaining world countries, major capitals, major geographical features, landmarks
  • self-contained units: The Snake and the Fox; Classical Mythology and More; Sophie's World; and a not-yet-assembled astronomy unit
  • continue 4-day per week science article readings/vids

For DD (5th)

• Continue Singapore Discovering Math 1 w/workbook and Horizons Pre-Algebra
  • Glencoe World Geography (haven't decided yet whether or not to get the Oak Meadow syllabus)
  • Prentice-Hall Science Explorer Earth Science plus Mr. Q Earth Science
  • Continue Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop series
  • Continue WWS and The Creative Writer Level 1
  • Continue using Hexco products for spelling bee prep
  • Continue Walch Poetry and Prose Toolbook
  • Grammar is TBD. I might start DD on Latin Road to English Grammar as she has been asking to learn Latin. I don't know if we'll have the budget for it given that our charter will not purchase a Christian program

For DS (1st)

• Continue on with Right Start through at least the subtraction section of C and Singapore (textbook/IP/CWP).
  • Carson-Dellosa A Trip Around the World series, possibly Expedition Earth from Confessions of a Homeschooler
  • Mr. Q Earth Science
  • Continue AAS
  • Continue HWOT
  • WWE1
  • I may start MCT "island" 2nd semester, I haven't yet decided about this.

I'm pretty much done with my planning, but I have one a lot older, so don't think you really care about my plans, LOL....
Sure we do. :001_smile:

We will keep going with what we are doing now. We might add in a third math program in French because I am ridiculous like that.

:lol: DD asked to do her Miquon in French today. This was a challenge because so far she can only count up to five lol but we managed and she learnt some more French.

It is next year for us, the new school year starts in a few days. DD would be starting first if she were at school. We will have to register her officially when she turns 6 in May. I'm pretty happy with what we're doing, I just need to find a decent French program we both like.

Yes!

What I'm thinking of for my big girl:

Lit intensive history of the middle ages through the renaissance or so

for science physics. or chem. not sure yet. :lol:

Continuing French and Latin, possibly adding Spanish, as well.

LOF for math.

Mommy designed writing, grammar, ect.

My little girl will be doing Sonlight Core A with LOF, French, Latin, Spanish if I add it.

They both do piano, as well.

Now I just need to finish all my book lists!:D:tongue_smilie:

For Abby:

MEP 2/SM 2/Miquon

FLL/WWE

SOTW 1 + AG

RSO Life/BFSU

HTS 2

Finish SL readers 3 and probably move into 4/5

CK based art and music

For Emmett:

Start with Funnix

When that's good, we'll add in Miquon and SM/MEP

Emmett wouldn't be eligible for K here until 2013. He'll definitely be ready before that. We like to ease into it, though, and add one formal thing at a time. He'll definitely tag along with Abby for her extras.

Kinda sorta -- though my kids are so non-linear in their development that sometimes I really can't schedule the next 6 weeks.

I'll probably do Kolbe Chemistry with the older two.

They'll still be finishing LOF Geometry, and then ds will continue on that path, not sure about dd.

I'll be doing US History (all 4)/US Government and American Literature (older 2, at least) ... I don't have my resources narrowed down for that one. Probably the Hakim series in part for the little ones (3rd and 6th grades).

I have the RS4K Level 1 series that I'd like to get to this semester, but if I don't, I may combine both littles into that ... though younger ds really needs more ... I might get a middle school physical science text for him instead.

The older two have expressed interest in The One Year Adventure Novel, so that is on the possibility list for them. I'd like to include their brother, but not sure he'll be ready then.

Yup...made a list of "to purchase" for next year already, so I can start looking for bargains.

Oldest (12)

Math -- Finishing up Foerster's and LoF, and starting Geometry. I'm looking for that course. He has enjoyed the Math Without Borders DVDs for Algebra 1, so I'm leaning towards sticking with that next year for Geometry.

English -- MCT Voyage Level, WWS some more Killgallon and some Abeka grammar. Using Abeka as literature overview with Progeny Press guides for novel study, as well as following some of the suggestions from Omnibus.

History -- K12 Human Odyssey vol. 1, with some reading selections from Omnibus

Logic -- We're doing Art of Argument now, we'll do the next one.

Latin -- Secondary Latin 1 with VP online.

Science -- Abeka Biology 1...with a 3 month summer study on origin of life (have a nice new --err old -- book on the Biblical case for an Old Earth and Localized flood...to go with some of Darwin...and Origins of the Species revisited) This will not be for HS credit. Even though, it will cover everything required for a HS credit, and he'll be doing all of the work and labs normally done for HS credit, I want him to take the equivalent of AP Biology for high school credit, later (sophomore year). He's doing very well with their Physical Science with the outlining, questions, tests, labs, etc., so I feel Abeka -- with my tweaks -- will be a solid intro course. Chemistry is planned for 8th, and then an Algebra-based Physics course for 9th... I haven't made any decisions on those, yet.

Art -- God and the History of Art (1/3...or thereabout. Working this in with Ancients, splitting the course up over 3 years)

Music -- Dallas School of Music, Guitar

Oldest DD (10)

Math -- LoF Pre-Algebra 1 & 2, and TT Algebra 1 (using that as our Pre-A course...with LoF, then she'll go into Foerster's/LoF)

English -- MCT Town; Killgallon, Abeka C, WWS, Abeka Spelling/Vocab 6, Abeka Readers 6, Progeny Press Novel Studies.

Science -- Apologia Zoology 1 & 2

History -- VP Self-Paced Explorers to 1815

Latin -- LFC B (on-line with VP)

Art -- Mark Kistler, Art studies, nothing formal... she does a lot on her own.

Music -- Dallas School of Music, Keyboard

DS (8) - same as DD (10), except will do MM 6, Abeka readers 5, and different novels.

DD (5) - MM 1B/2A, Abeka Phonics 2, Cursive, FLL1, WWE1, Abeka Spelling 1, Apologia with older siblings, Song School Latin, and lots of audio books and play time.

DD (3) -- just informal learning letters, sounds, numbers & counting, colors and play.

Right now I've got a few things planned, though I am trying to decide if I should toss in something like Explode the Code because she still doesn't want to do phonics....fights me tooth and nail...though she can do things like sound out words she just likes seeing her "product" after the fact.

Math: Singapore 1a/1b though she is already past 1a and half of 1b but we are going to use it as review and make sure she gets it before moving on to 2a/2b

Science: Classic Science--Life (Mr. Q)

Religion/Catechism/Bible Study

Spanish: We are going to try doing Rosetta Stone and some Usborne books and slow vocabulary/immersion techniques

Handwriting: Copywork and some simple C-V-C spelling words as practice

History: Elemental History and CHOW (reading through all of CHOW and doing Elemental History) so we will do history 5 days a week. We are also reading some of TWTM history read aloud suggestions.

Good Books/Literature: Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, The Cricket in Times Square, and maybe the Hobbit if we need more to read since she likes Tolkien.

Music: The Story of the Orchestra with the CD

Art: The Usborne Art for Children book. I also have an Art Project book for good projects that talk about different techniques. We will go through the Usborne book the first half of the year and the art project book the second half.

DD will be doing "first" grade starting in July (after the 4th). She'll be 4.5 when we start. This year we are doing the basics already so we will add in History, Science and the fine arts study as well as Spanish.

I really don't want to think about next year, yet!

So far, all I know is that she will continue with her languages using Rosetta Stone, keep plugging away at US history, switch science to Chemistry, and begin Algebra. She'll continue music theory, violin and piano, and LL7 if we don't get it done this year...if we do we'll move on to LL8.

What we'll use...that I don't know yet. I have Saxon, Jacobs, and AoPS Algebra so it will be one of those or some combo. I may do PLATO Chemistry with her because she's liked PLATO Earth Science a lot. I also have RS4K Chem. Level 2 and McHenry's Chemistry and Organic Chem to throw in.

We aren't halfway done with this year yet, but I've made tentative plans.

5th grader

Bible - ???

Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Singapore 5A and 5B with IP and CWP, LOF PreAlgebra, Hands on Equations

Logic- Chess Kid, Orbiting with Logic, Grid Perplexors C, and ?

Arabic Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Finish Alif Baa and then start Al- Kitaab Part 1 3rd edition, Arabian Sinbad

Mandarin - Finish My First Chinese Reader 1 and then start My First Chinese Reader 2

French Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pronounce it Perfectly in French, Easy French Reader, and Exercises in French Phonics

Greek Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Continue Athenaze 1

Grammar Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff 5

Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Finish Jump In and write across curriculum, Killgallon

Spelling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff 5/6, Webster's Speller

Typing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Mavis Beacon (if still needed, if not then he will learn to use Word and Excel or something like that).

Handwriting - StartWrite

Vocabulary - WWTW

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2nd half of Figuratively Speaking with literature selections based on the chapters.

History - Probably self-designed ancient Rome - early church

Geography - Probably self-designed studies of countries in the Middle East and/or Mapping the World with Art

Earth Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Continue CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science

Invertebrates Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Self-designed study

Art - ??

Music Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff Music 4/5, Guitar lessons

3rd grader

Bible - ??

Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Singapore 3B and 4A with CWP and IP, Hands on Equations, Xtra Math

Logic - Logic Liftoff, Grid Perplexors, Chess Kid, and ?

Arabic Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Alif Baa, Arabian Sinbad

Mandarin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ My First Chinese Reader 1

Greek- Athenaze 1

Grammar Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff 3

Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ ??? I'm thinking Rod and Staff 3 plus pen pals, book reports, blogging, narratives, research paper. Maybe Killgallon.

Spelling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Rod and Staff 3 and 4, WebsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Speller

Typing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Mavis Beacon

Handwriting - StartWrite

Vocabulary - ???

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Readers and read alouds from classic literature around the 6th and 7th grade level

History - Probably self-designed ancient Rome - early church

Geography - Probably self-designed studies of countries in the Middle East and/or Mapping the World with Art

Earth Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Living books and labs related to topics in CPO Physical, Earth, and Space Science

Invertebrates Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Self-designed study

Art - ???

Music - Rod and Staff Music 4/5, Guitar lessons

Computer - Scratch, Alice

I'll have one that is supposed to be starting Junior Kindergarten next school year, but I'm still trying to figure out if she needs any formal academics at this point.

I know that if I want to get anything done with as far as preschool next year, I should plan it now, because the prep work just isn't going to happen after the baby comes. But every time I start to plan, it just seems futile. I have no clue where she'll be at or what she'll be interested in by then. And my preschool budget is pretty limited.

Phonics-She can sound out simple CVC and sometimes four-letter words when she feels like it, but she is rarely interested lately. I have OPG to do on-demand, but demand quickly petered out. I've wondered if she would be more interested in something like ETC.

Writing-I have a pad of Kindergarten lined paper, and we practice when she feels like it. Often she wants me to do 'dot letters' for her to trace, sometimes she will ask me how to spell a word, and she will write it as I tell her. We will just continue with this.

Math-She loves Beginning Mathematical Reasoning 1, so I will get the next one, but I am hesitant to get it too soon--if she sees it, she will beg to do it, but the questions at the end of the first book are tough for her, and I don't want her to get frustrated by going into the next book too soon. I've thought about repeating the first book with her first. I don't know how she would feel about that.

Nature/Science-I recently found the Smithsonian's Backyard books on sale, so my daughter will be receiving a bunch of them for her birthday in a month. So I'm thinking something animal/insect themed. Unfortunately, our library has little to offer, so the "just check out lots of books on the topic" plan isn't really possible. If anyone has ideas for me, I'd love to hear them. (I would like to get some butterfly eggs and watch them hatch and change, but we'll have to wait for next springtime for that, right?)

Art/Music-We color every day and occasionally paint. That's all. My girls love music, so if anyone has ideas?

Religion-We read a couple of pages of scriptures every day, but it seems like she's interested and ready for something more than that. I found a website that breaks down one of our books of scripture into small story chunks for small kids, and it seems like this could be really useful, but I'm just not sure what to do with each 'story chunk' yet.

Other-Maybe a big wall map of the world? She loves to play with our globe, and have me show her all of the different places where someone from our family lives, served a mission, etc.

Writing-I have a pad of Kindergarten lined paper, and we practice when she feels like it. Often she wants me to do 'dot letters' for her to trace, sometimes she will ask me how to spell a word, and she will write it as I tell her. We will just continue with this.

She might like something like this lined dry erase lapboard. DS loved one like this around your daughter's age-- I'm not sure why, but he liked it even better than writing on paper. It can be good for in the car, too. The reverse is unlined.

She might like something like this lined dry erase lapboard. DS loved one like this around your daughter's age-- I'm not sure why, but he liked it even better than writing on paper. It can be good for in the car, too. The reverse is unlined.

We have this one, and the $1 spot one from Target too. I prefer this one - it's sturdier and the spacing is larger. We use it all the time!

:lol: DD asked to do her Miquon in French today. This was a challenge because so far she can only count up to five lol but we managed and she learnt some more French.

It is next year for us, the new school year starts in a few days. DD would be starting first if she were at school. We will have to register her officially when she turns 6 in May. I'm pretty happy with what we're doing, I just need to find a decent French program we both like.

I'm looking at a few things for math. One is available for free here. http://defimath.ca/lexique.html I'm also looking at JUMP in French, but I can't justify buying a program when I have stuff on the shelves already. I also have a third program that I downloaded and now can't find. Our fourth option is through CNED.

I'm not too confident that we both have the ability to work through complicated explanations in French yet. I max out at saying the same thing in two or three different ways. My daughter is just learning to read French, and she understands more than she can speak. I think she would be okay with something more worksheet based like the math through the CNED program. It seems like that is mostly reading and answering instead of actually talking through the way everything works. I think the program I linked looks awesome, but too much for us right now.

If we do end up moving soon, we are going to bite the bullet and pay for a tutor at least once a week. Actually, if we end up staying here I'm still probably going to ask my husband's coworker if we could hire her once a week.

We will be sticking with the curriculum in my signature, just moving up to the next level.

Yes, it's actually a charter school for gifted kids, so they are flexible. Although I did just learn that there is a wait list of 8 for 1st grade, so I'm not sure how likely it is that they will have space.

Yes, it's actually a charter school for gifted kids, so they are flexible. Although I did just learn that there is a wait list of 8 for 1st grade, so I'm not sure how likely it is that they will have space.

Technically I put The Sponge's name down for the Montessori charter school for next year, but as they have a waitlist/lottery and she's up for second grade, where all the first year kids will automatically move up, I don't expect her to get in. They do have combo classrooms of three-four grades all together so she'll like it if she does get in, but I am not planning for that to happen.

Oh! Thank you for asking!

If he doesn't decide to go to an organized school next year, he will be in ninth grade. These are the classes I have scheduled:

Math - an hour daily - he will be doing geometry with the same tutor who has been working with him. I am ordering Jacobs to look at, but also some other books, too. She will review and decide on what they'll use together, then I may keep some simpler things to use at home as drill work.

History and Literature - two hours daily - we are going to attempt a great books study, using SWB's Well Educated Mind and History of the Ancient World, as well as a Spielvogel world text (just the ancients portion). I don't know if it will fly with him, or not, but we are going to try it. If it doesn't fly, then I can backtrack and read versions other than original works; I picked up a Western World humanities book I can use; I have some of the Norton anthologies covering world works of lit, so we could do more excerpted things, if need be.... (I have a plan for this at my blog.) This time will have to include writing work, too....

Science - one hour a day - biology - I have put together a plan using Hoagland's The Way Life Works, and a ton of other things. I have details on my blog. I am considering letting him take a co-op class in marine bio, as well (Apologia text used), if I think we will have the time for it.

Health/P.E. - one hour a day - PE related activities will mostly be after regular school hours. I want him to take some first aid/CPR courses and those will most likely be held evenings or weekends, too. I am using The Way We Work and a bunch of other resources (and covering more of human bio through this course than through science). I have plans for this up at my blog.

Music/Art Appreciation - one hour a day - lots of miscellaneous resources (plan on my blog site)....

Latin/Spanish - one hour a day - (may do less with Latin and more with Spanish next year) - may just use Cambridge and do an outside Latin class. Will use BJU's Spanish I for the other, as well as continue a once weekly class with a native speaker if it continues to be offered.

World Geography - one hour a day - something lighter than the history (in case it just doesn't work for him), covering the five themes of geography, cultural geography, and working on literacy of all world countries. (Plans on my blog.)

That's 8-5, with an hour out for lunch. That's a ton, but would include all "homework" time, too, so his evenings would be relatively free save for the occasional sports events.... It may not take him a full hour to cover the daily work I have assigned for some of these courses, either....

History and Literature - two hours daily - we are going to attempt a great books study, using SWB's Well Educated Mind and History of the Ancient World, as well as a Spielvogel world text (just the ancients portion). I don't know if it will fly with him, or not, but we are going to try it. If it doesn't fly, then I can backtrack and read versions other than original works; I picked up a Western World humanities book I can use; I have some of the Norton anthologies covering world works of lit, so we could do more excerpted things, if need be.... (I have a plan for this at my blog.) This time will have to include writing work, too...

Thank you Regena! I'm so glad you included the above because I've always wanted to ask, how do you know if your child is ready for a Great Books Study?

What kind of signs should I look for (other than improved writing ability, if that's even necessary?)?

Increased reading stamina?

Ability to verbally discuss in depth?

How would I be able to judge readiness based on current reading interest, and by that I mean what kind of books should he be reading readily and with interest as precursors to the Great Books? Will something like Moby Dick or Don Quixote qualify? I know SWB mentions Don Quixote in WEM.

I don't mean this as a hijack and will be happy to start another thread. I guess SWB probably mentioned this in WTM somewhere? It's been a while since I've read my copy.

I am not sure yet. I was thinking about slowing DS down because he was getting frustrated a lot but I started breaking a lot of stuff up and he is doing much better so far. As of right now I am thinking we will continue with the level he is on but break it up some and add in some new stuff. Math: finish Horizons 1, start Horizons 2 ( might supplement with Singapore) Phonics: ETC 3, 4 and maybe 5 with library books Science: library, netflix and experiments History: library and netflix English: finish Abeka Language 1 then start FLL or R&S English 2 Spanish: My Very First Spanish book Logic: Lollipop Logic 1 Skills and Art: Cut and paste books Penmanship: Copywork ETA: It won't let me space it out for some reason.

Edited by Lynn213220

I actually pulled out ALL of my homeschooling books and went through them. Now I have a slightly altered plan, as I found new stuff! :D Re-added the US states/presidents that I forgot about, and the big comprehensive K workbook that The Drama likes, and a book of songs and fingerplays for circle time, and my HWoT print and cursive, and my cursive practice book, and the Play & Learn Spanish, and some random science coloring stuff, and the girls both want to start world cultures NOW instead of next year. Woohoo!

I actually pulled out ALL of my homeschooling books and went through them. Now I have a slightly altered plan, as I found new stuff! :D Re-added the US states/presidents that I forgot about, and the big comprehensive K workbook that The Drama likes, and a book of songs and fingerplays for circle time, and my HWoT print and cursive, and my cursive practice book, and the Play & Learn Spanish, and some random science coloring stuff, and the girls both want to start world cultures NOW instead of next year. Woohoo!

I've been doing the same thing - going through books and tweaking my plans. We're going to go ahead and tackle an edited for age version of world history, spreading it over 1st-3rd grades. And I found a handwriting book that I think will work for my DD on my shelf too - something I had been trying to find elsewhere.

My kids all love these and... They are in the dollar section of my Target right now.:thumbup:

We have this one, and the $1 spot one from Target too. I prefer this one - it's sturdier and the spacing is larger. We use it all the time!

:iagree:

We have similar ones that we use for all sorts of subjects. They come in more handy than I would have imagined for 5th grade.

Recently we've been using them in logic/critical thinking. We would discuss a sentence and she would write an answer such as: ~G-->H; G-->~H then hold it up for me to see. If the answer was incorrect I would write the correct version on mine and explain. It made something that was new and somewhat strange much more bearable ---(and dare I say---fun).