Menu

What subjects would you get rid of and/or combine?

Mynyel

Here are subjects that I want to do, but I need to consolidate. Something has to give.

History/Science/Geo/Logic/Latin are only twice a week.

Dd14

Math - MUS

Grammar - AG but up in the air on that one

Writing - IEW

History - History of the US, then Notgrass

Science - Rainbow

Bible - Daily devotional

Reading - Open reading, doesn't matter what

Spelling - IEW Phonetic Zoo

Geography - Geography Matters - World Geo

Latin - Lively Latin

Logic - Building Thinking Skills and Critial Thinking, rotated.

Memory Work

Ds9

Math - MUS

Grammar - FLL

Writing - IEW

History - HO and MOH, rotated

Science - Noeo, Classiquest rotated

Bible - Daily devotional

Reading - Open reading

Spelling - All About Spelling

Geography - Geography Matters World

Logic - Building Thinking Skills

Memory Work

Handwriting (he needs this though, his handwriting is... not neat :D) - Italics

So anything I can cut out? Combine?

Edited by Mynyel

Here are subjects that I want to do, but I need to consolidate. Something has to give.

Dd14

Math

Grammar

Writing

History

Science

Bible

Reading

Spelling

Geography

Latin

Logic

Memory Work

Ds9

Math

Grammar

Writing

History

Science

Bible

Reading

Spelling

Geography

Logic

Memory Work

Handwriting (he needs this though, his handwriting is... not neat :D)

Does your daughter still need spelling? And what do you mean by reading? Is it lit work? Is there overlap with writing, grammar, and history? Is there over lap with history and geography?

What curriculum are you using for each subject? Knowing that might help us determine any overlap?

I tend to combine history/writing/reading/literature/ geography and sometimes science...like right now we are studying the Greeks...reading Archimedes and e Door of Science and will be writing and drawing science experiments from that book. I may also throw in memory work, penmanship/copy work/dictation etc. Depending on the unit. Math, grammar, spelling, logic and Latin are treated separately, but I try to combine in all other subjects around our history units.

Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

Does your daughter still need spelling? And what do you mean by reading? Is it lit work? Is there overlap with writing, grammar, and history? Is there over lap with history and geography?

What curriculum are you using for each subject? Knowing that might help us determine any overlap?

Yes she needs a little help with spelling, we are using Phonetic Zoo by IEW. History she is using Hakim's Story of the US right now and then will move on to Notgrass.

There is no overlap in grammar, writing or history right now. When Notgrass starts they have writing assignments which I can then use for writing.

I will just edit my original post with what I am using.. it will be easier :)

Dd14

Math - MUS

Grammar - AG but up in the air on that one Not sure how much grammar she has had in the past? In high school we usually use writing as our grammar program. So we talk about grammar in the context of our writing. For example---this sentence doesn't work because ....

Writing - IEW Are you using the methods of IEW? or one of IEW's courses? If you are using the method, perhaps it would work to use the method with her history? Write a summary of section 1 in Chapter 15 using a key word outline, using these dress-ups, or research the topic studied using multiply sources and write a report.

History - History of the US, then Notgrass Are you using the student study guides, the assessments, teacher's guide? If so, I would drop them and combine with this study with writing instruction

Science - Rainbow This course is pretty easy as is, but if you didn't want to use writing with history, it would be pretty easy to combine science with writing. Take notes, practice outlining, oral reports, write summaries, write persuasive essays, ect

Bible - Daily devotional

Reading - Open reading, doesn't matter what

Spelling - IEW Phonetic Zoo

Geography - Geography Matters - World Geo I would drop this and study American geography along with your history. If using the TM for History of US, I believe they include mapwork.

Latin - Lively Latin

Logic - Building Thinking Skills and Critial Thinking, rotated.

Memory Work

Ds9

Math - MUS

Grammar - FLL

Writing - IEW

History - HO and MOH, rotated HO includes plenty of writing practice for this age group. I think that and IEW is redundant

Science - Noeo, Classiquest rotated Noeo also has writing practice

Bible - Daily devotional

Reading - Open reading

Spelling - All About Spelling

Geography - Geography Matters World Again, HO includes mapwork. This is redundant

Logic - Building Thinking Skills

Memory Work

Handwriting (he needs this though, his handwriting is... not neat :D) - Italics

Hope this helps