Menu

Freshman Supplies

Myra

I've saved older posts listing what my freshman should bring for dorm room. But what type of "paper-and-pencil" and "academic" supplies should my son have for this Fall? Notebooks? Thesaurus? Calculator? Dictionary? Colored pens?

Thanks,

Myra

If your son would use a planner/assignment book, I highly recommend one. Will he be living on campus? Perhaps a wall or desk calendar.

I recommend having binder paper, several spiral bound notebooks, graphing paper and scientific calculator (if he will be taking a science course), pens, pencils, and a good eraser. I second the stapler and post-it notes. Also scissors. My daughter also has found colored pencils useful.

We sent my daughter to college with hardback dictionary, thesaurus, and writing guides (Write for College). She has used them all (even though she has a lap top computer).

Regards,

Kareni

Yellow legal pads and rulers...also binders and dividers. A ream of printer paper is handy. A small cheap printer for room use is super convenient, also ink supplies for it. Lots of different colored hi-liters and a variety of colors and sizes of sticky notes. Pencil cans and storage for supplies.....

I'd like to add a few items to the list: post-its for daily reminders, a file folder box with important documents related to school, car (if he's taking one), health insurance, etc., blank cd's (thumb drive will work but, just so he can share information with others), note books (I suggest buying ones with folders inside them), and a good, sturdy backpack!

Good luck!

My sophomore son asked Santa for a large, I mean LARGE white board for his dorm room wall - found a light weight one that will stay up with Command stickies - ds needs it to chart out stuff for Chem.

Command products are useful - they will not mar dorm room walls and get the kid a fee for damage.

DS also recommends various sized three ring binders - some of his text"books" came as UNBOUND plastic-wrapped piles of loose sheets! Geez!!!

DS also recommends various sized three ring binders - some of his text"books" came as UNBOUND plastic-wrapped piles of loose sheets! Geez!!!

This is the new trend in text books. The unbound ones are less expensive but they cannot be resold. Sneaky publishers...

I think that school supplies depend in part on a student's personality. My son despises spiral notebooks, preferring loose sheets and binders. Also, what is the policy at the school regarding printing? My son's private college gives each student a generous printing allowance so he has no need for a printer, ink, reams of paper.

Seconding an extra thumb drive or two.

This is the new trend in text books. The unbound ones are less expensive but they cannot be resold. Sneaky publishers...

Yup. Blech.

The bound math text we use is paperback and the bookstore doesn't buy paperbacks back, so we went to unbound. Unbound saves about $40 over bound - and since neither is bought back, the department went unbound.

Hardback would be bought back, but that's a difference of about $100.

And a new edition will probably be out in a couple years. :glare:

• 3 months later...