Menu

s/o question on food and what I should do...?

I know how much you are all tired hearing about food and the like, but I have a few questions that I don't think have been answered in other threads. I am looking to change my diet completely, I have done fairly well so far, I have cut out fried food, fast food, fattening desserts, lots of boxed foods, heavy breads, and pasta. I eat high crab, low fat, but realize that although I have lost a lot of weight, I haven't exactly reached my target weight yet. Some say high fat/low carb, others are high carb/low fat ahhh! There are just so many things out there that I am so confused, weight watchers looks fabulous, but I can't afford it yet so I need to figure out a plan for me.

I don't know what kinds of foods I should incorporate into my dishes (I do eat LOTS of fruit and veggies, and drink lots of water) but what else? What am I missing? What is a good way to lose weight and maintain it? I eat healthy and exercise everyday no matter what. I don't pig out on food anymore like I used too and I cannot eat too much dairy or my face will break out. I am just at a loss for what a good diet should be, other than keeping active, eating lots of fruit and veggies, and drinking lots of water.

Would you all mind clearing this up for me? How do you all eat and stay healthy?

(Maybe I am just confusing myself...:glare:)

TIA!

You might want to look at an exchange type diet (like Weight Watchers, or like WW used to be, anyway). For someone your age, following such a plan will help you learn to recognize things like proper portion size, how to take in a balanced diet and how to eat over the course of a day to stabilize metabolism (ie, 4 to 6 smaller meals and snacks).

I do personally think that higher protein diets are better than higher carbs, so if you go with an exchange plan of say 1500-1800 calories a day, you may want to switch out one or two of the carb allowances for protein allowances. At least do make sure your carbs are good-fat, low-glycemic fruits, brown grains in rice and bread, sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes. If you were older and had a great deal of weight to lose you may want to get serious on carb cutting, but it's more realistic (IMO) for you to include good carbs in your diet.

Basically, if you learn to eat like someone who is diabetic - but without the sugar substitutes - you will be setting a healthier habit of eating throughout your life.

I would recommend buying/borrowing a book that focuses on overall health - exercise AND diet. The one mentioned above sounds good, Body for Life is good and I know there are some others.

Incorporating protein into your diet is essential. One serving (size of your palm) of protein, one serving of a carb like brown rice or sweet potato and a bunch of low-glycemic veggies is a great way to start building your daily diet. Many of the 'healthiest' will have oatmeal with fruit and some eggs/egg whites for breakfast.

If you can't tolerate dairy it will make your food choices a bit more challenging, if you can eat *some*, greek yogurt is a great addition to a high(er) protein diet.

Ok all of these reccommendations make sense and I have been eliminating carbs, I was just confused about the way the different diets and which I should use. My friend who has recently turned diabetic has had to make major food changes and has lost a whopping 50 lbs. (Yes she was overweight!!) She continues to lose and has told me eating like a diabetic can change my ways. I am not overweight (125 lbs right now) but I also don't want to gain any weight back.

My main problem is snacking, I have cut out a lot of over processed boxed food, and have replaced it with items like Wheat Thins, Triscuit, Dried Blueberries, yogurt, nuts, fruits and veggies, crackers, and the occasional protein bar. Do these consist of too many carbs?

Also, I like to drink coffee and tea, and I use cream and sugar, how many cups should I have a day?

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

I would recommend buying/borrowing a book that focuses on overall health - exercise AND diet. The one mentioned above sounds good, Body for Life is good and I know there are some others.

Incorporating protein into your diet is essential. One serving (size of your palm) of protein, one serving of a carb like brown rice or sweet potato and a bunch of low-glycemic veggies is a great way to start building your daily diet. Many of the 'healthiest' will have oatmeal with fruit and some eggs/egg whites for breakfast.

If you can't tolerate dairy it will make your food choices a bit more challenging, if you can eat *some*, greek yogurt is a great addition to a high(er) protein diet.

I like this, I can eat dairy no problem, but too much will cause me to break out, so I have to be careful of how much I consume a day. I need to change my breakfast plans around a little, but I think I am doing okay to start. Thank you.

You might want to look at an exchange type diet (like Weight Watchers, or like WW used to be, anyway). For someone your age, following such a plan will help you learn to recognize things like proper portion size, how to take in a balanced diet and how to eat over the course of a day to stabilize metabolism (ie, 4 to 6 smaller meals and snacks).

I do personally think that higher protein diets are better than higher carbs, so if you go with an exchange plan of say 1500-1800 calories a day, you may want to switch out one or two of the carb allowances for protein allowances. At least do make sure your carbs are good-fat, low-glycemic fruits, brown grains in rice and bread, sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes. If you were older and had a great deal of weight to lose you may want to get serious on carb cutting, but it's more realistic (IMO) for you to include good carbs in your diet.

Basically, if you learn to eat like someone who is diabetic - but without the sugar substitutes - you will be setting a healthier habit of eating throughout your life.

Good points, and I like the way you described what I can switch out with, I like sweet potatoes, but never buy any. I need to buy some, and switch from high carb to low carb. Thank you so much!

What is working for me:

Lol, I like that.:)

Are you snacking because you are hungry? If so, adding a little healthy fat may help - for ex. a portion of almonds or walnuts.

Ideally you would cut the processed crackers out entirely as they don't contain healthy oils.

Coffee/tea..1-2 cups but depends on what type and when you have them. Basically you want to keep the caffeine low and nix on the sugar. You could use honey if you want a sweetener.

Yes I am snacking because I'm hungry, cutting out crackers I can do too. I generally drink one cup of coffee, and maybe 2 cups of tea, depending on what I eat throughout the day and how cold it is. I have honey, so I will cut out the sugar as well. I feel better with less sugar.

Thank you all, now I think I understand how I should plan my meals better. :001_smile:

I know how much you are all tired hearing about food

NEVER!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how this works for everyone else, but if I eat a reasonable amount of food, feel full but am still prowling around looking for food, I haven't eaten enough fat. If I eat a decent meal and am hungry less than two hours later, I didn't eat enough carbs. If I eat a reasonable amount and start feeling sluggish in short order, I've eaten too many carbs and need to reduce some in favour of proteins.

Snacking may well be an inevitable part of life. :tongue_smilie: See how you go scheduling a snack two hours after breakfast and lunch, and either an evening snack or supper, depending what time you eat dinner and go to bed.

Outside of those scheduled mini-meals, you might try snacking on dates. They contain precursors to serotonin, which is probably what your body is looking for. Yes, they contain a lot of sugar, which you are trying to cut out but there is a limit to how many you'll want to eat even when you are desperate, unlike chocolate :eek:

Rosie

NEVER!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how this works for everyone else, but if I eat a reasonable amount of food, feel full but am still prowling around looking for food, I haven't eaten enough fat. If I eat a decent meal and am hungry less than two hours later, I didn't eat enough carbs. If I eat a reasonable amount and start feeling sluggish in short order, I've eaten too many carbs and need to reduce some in favour of proteins.

Snacking may well be an inevitable part of life. :tongue_smilie: See how you go scheduling a snack two hours after breakfast and lunch, and either an evening snack or supper, depending what time you eat dinner and go to bed.

Outside of those scheduled mini-meals, you might try snacking on dates. They contain precursors to serotonin, which is probably what your body is looking for. Yes, they contain a lot of sugar, which you are trying to cut out but there is a limit to how many you'll want to eat even when you are desperate, unlike chocolate :eek:

Rosie

Rosie, everything you described about yourself is exactly how my body works. If I don't eat enough carbs, I am hungry, too many and my body feels terrible, and if I am hunting for food, then I have not had enough good at to sustain me for awhile.

I never thought about eating dates, I like them, but like you stated they do contain a lot of sugar so that is probably the reason why I never bought them. Thank you for the suggestion, and I tried eating two hours after breakfast, it worked out just fine. I am not full, but my hunger is satisfied until lunch time.

Thank you!

I think it depends on how your body works. Some diets work may work well for some and not for others. Sometimes your body needs different things at different times. If the low fat/high carb thing isn't working for you, maybe try high protein/low glycemic.

Some people do well eating frequently (6 or 7 times), others do better eating 2 or 3 larger meals with no snacking. I have a friend whose doctor told her she needed to stop snacking so her body would have a chance to eliminate toxins and excess stuff before her next meal. I also tend to do better if I don't eat after dinner.

Personally, if I don't have protein for breakfast, I start wigging out by 9:30am. Which is today - we had slow-cooked oatmeal with blueberries, mandarine orange sections, and coffee. And I'm starting to feel it...:willy_nilly:

I agree with cutting out the crackers, wheat thins, etc. and increasing your protein. I would also look at what fruits you are eating and cut back on the higher carb fruits.

I think weight watchers and the diet for diabetics are both based on low glycemic index. I did that for awhile and lost a lot of weight. I am back to starting over with it and have been doing it for 3 weeks now.

Good luck on the rest of your weight loss and congrads on losing so much already.

I think it depends on how your body works. Some diets work may work well for some and not for others. Sometimes your body needs different things at different times. If the low fat/high carb thing isn't working for you, maybe try high protein/low glycemic.

Some people do well eating frequently (6 or 7 times), others do better eating 2 or 3 larger meals with no snacking. I have a friend whose doctor told her she needed to stop snacking so her body would have a chance to eliminate toxins and excess stuff before her next meal. I also tend to do better if I don't eat after dinner.

Personally, if I don't have protein for breakfast, I start wigging out by 9:30am. Which is today - we had slow-cooked oatmeal with blueberries, mandarine orange sections, and coffee. And I'm starting to feel it...:willy_nilly:

I do better if I snack, so about 6 or 7 small meals a day is good for me, but I will try the higher protein and low glycemic diet to see how that works for me. I am starting it today and so far so good. I am not as hungry, and my mom bought me organic,soy protein bars which not only fill me up, but give me an energy boost. It has everything in them I need and I haven't gained any weight from them, so that is good.

Thanks!

everything in moderation

Yes, I find this helps incredibly well, smaller portions but more meals throughout the day.

I agree with cutting out the crackers, wheat thins, etc. and increasing your protein. I would also look at what fruits you are eating and cut back on the higher carb fruits.

I think weight watchers and the diet for diabetics are both based on low glycemic index. I did that for awhile and lost a lot of weight. I am back to starting over with it and have been doing it for 3 weeks now.

Good luck on the rest of your weight loss and congrads on losing so much already.

What are high carb fruits exactly? I mean which ones? Although I would love WW, I didn't realize how expensive it was, so I have to create a similar diet to theirs. But you have all given me a lot of help, so I can now create a better diet for myself.

Thank you!!!:001_smile: