Menu

Are ceiling fans out of style?

I don't care if they are or not, I love mine and will not give them up.

Yeah, on Trading Spaces, the first thing that designer guy named Doug would do is rip out the ceiling fan. Then he would ruin the rest of the room with his "vision". I hated that guy.

Oh the memories. I had a neighbor that wanted me to apply to Trading Spaces with her. I refused. I was just too afraid I'd end up with Doug or Hilde. If I could have guaranteed Vern or that red-haired southern lady (what was her name???) would come, I might have gone for it.

My "favorite" Doug memory was the one where the lady had these GORGEOUS hardwood floors and specified that she did not want them touched. So, in true Doug Fashion, Doug went out and bought dark stain and was going to stain a checkerboard pattern into the hardwood floor :blink::eek::svengo:. Luckily the neighbors refused and the wife actually threatened to lie on the floor and prevent Doug from carrying it out. He threw a hissy fit and left them do a bunch of the work themselves, but the floors stayed the way they were.

I care about style, home decor, etc. (well, to the degree that a mom of three boys on a limited budget CAN care about style!)...and I don't care if they are out of style, they are a must here in the south. I can't imagine making it through summer without my ceiling fans, especially the one over my bed!

I care about style, home decor, etc. (well, to the degree that a mom of three boys on a limited budget CAN care about style!)...and I don't care if they are out of style, they are a must here in the south. I can't imagine making it through summer without my ceiling fans, especially the one over my bed!

I use mine year round. Drives my dh batty that I must have it on at night to sleep. :D

The first thing we did when we bought our house was to rip out the ceiling fans. (And yes, I guess I'm one of those people who walks out of my air-conditioned house into my air-conditioned car and drives to the air-conditioned mall where the valet parks the car underground so it doesn't get hot... :tongue_smilie:)

I have to admit, though, that the ceiling fans are a lot more attractive now than they were 20 years ago when we bought our house. Ours were hideous. There are some very cool styles available now, and if I lived in an area where there was a lot of need for them, I'm sure I would have a few in the house.

:rolleyes:

I mostly agree with Catwoman, although we haven't ripped out the 2 ceiling fans in our house yet. I think they are really ugly. I never use the one over the dining room table, because all I can think about is dust getting into my food. (Maybe I should dust the thing??:001_huh:) I tolerate the one in the master bedroom because it is useful. But I still think it is very out of style.

Style? Our house is 100 years old. We do "not broken" and "not leaking" and "no wires showing." We don't do style. (Actually, I take that back. I was beyond relieved that this house didn't have wood paneling.)

I like ceiling fans, but we don't have any. We do have tall ceilings and transoms!

That's our style, too. Though through experience, I have learned to fear the cut, live wires the previous owners just walled over more than be concerned about any showing. :blink:

We don't have central anything, so the fans stay, but we've ripped out the paneling, including the tongue & groove oak flooring applied horizontally to the walls and ceiling - but not the floor! - of the bathroom. Seriously. It was like a Doug room.

They may not be in style according to HGTV, but try to live in Arizona in the summer without them, and you really, really, really won't give a flying flip what an HGTV style maven says. When we lived there, I don't believe I ever visited someone's home, old or brand new, that didn't have fans. The new construction homes all had receptacles in place (we bought a brand new home when we moved there). And yes, we had air conditioning -- very efficient, brand new, yadda yadda...

Sure those little chandaleirs are cute and stylish, but if you need a fan, get a fan. If you don't, don't.

I'm not trying to be intentionally snarky. (I don't know that I've ever been snarky on this forum, have I?) I consider our home very stylish, for its style (our furniture is all mid-century modern repro/and authentic Danish modern). Ceiling fans don't "go" with that. We could care less. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry for the am snark. maybe I'm hormonal...

We have them in every bedroom and most of the other rooms. Our formal dining room has a chandelier and not a fan. Fans make life more comfortable. :)

ETA: Our fans match our decor. We have oil rubbed bronze hardware on the doors and dark trim. Our fans are oil rubbed bronze with dark blades. We use our fans year round. Most of us like them on at night. We have a/c and we get snow in the winter, but the fans really help the air circulation. Our house is five years old.

Edited by Veritaserum

Well, I really don't care about what someone else says is "in style." I built my house and decorated it to MY style, and I'm so not a chandelier person. Reminds me of my Grandmother's style. She was born before the turn of the 20th century. She had leaded chrystal chandeliers. They were beaties, but they were hers, of her era. So for me to go with what some stylist is saying and make my changes to my place for that, well it's silly.

If you like ceiling fans, use them. If you like chandeliers, use them! If you don't like either, put up something else! It's YOUR place!!!

They may not be in style according to HGTV, but try to live in Arizona in the summer without them, and you really, really, really won't give a flying flip what an HGTV style maven says. When we lived there, I don't believe I ever visited someone's home, old or brand new, that didn't have fans. The new construction homes all had receptacles in place (we bought a brand new home when we moved there). And yes, we had air conditioning -- very efficient, brand new, yadda yadda...

Sure those little chandaleirs are cute and stylish, but if you need a fan, get a fan. If you don't, don't.

I'm not trying to be intentionally snarky. (I don't know that I've ever been snarky on this forum, have I?) I consider our home very stylish, for its style (our furniture is all mid-century modern repro/and authentic Danish modern). Ceiling fans don't "go" with that. We could care less. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry for the am snark. maybe I'm hormonal...

Yeah, I'm not really feeling snark. :001_smile: You are right, anyhow!

Well, I really don't care about what someone else says is "in style." I built my house and decorated it to MY style, and I'm so not a chandelier person. Reminds me of my Grandmother's style. She was born before the turn of the 20th century. She had leaded chrystal chandeliers. They were beaties, but they were hers, of her era. So for me to go with what some stylist is saying and make my changes to my place for that, well it's silly.

If you like ceiling fans, use them. If you like chandeliers, use them! If you don't like either, put up something else! It's YOUR place!!!

Too true. Part of why I was thinking about this was with some of my SILs, there was a lot of conversation about new houses and kitchen renovations. One SIL asked me what I would change about my kitchen and I was kind of stumped. Then, I was thinking about things in my kitchen that I know are not the going style, but that I like or love anyway. It made me ponder what I would do if I were building another house (no plans to do that on the horizon in this economy!).

Ceiling fans were part of that discussion, too. One SIL's house is only one year younger than mine, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a ceiling fan anywhere. I really do like mine and find them dead useful. In terms of their actual look? Well, I can't say I would choose the same ones, except the one in my Sunroom. But I do use them very frequently during the summer and my kids use them most of the year for the white noise or air circulation.

A couple of thoughts...

I am sort of particular about the look of a ceiling fan - a good light kit can make all the difference in whether a fan is hideous or not.

I am approaching menopause. I remember my mom going through menopause. In the dead of winter she would have her bedroom window wide open and the fan cranked up to high. I'm thinking I might appreciate that set up some time soon.

So, as far as style... I'm guessing I'll get in style and ditch my fans as soon as I can squeeze into Paris runway fashions and dress stylishly to match my fanless rooms. :lol:

Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine life without ceiling fans. Here in the Deep South, we have them in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms.

I could care less what HGTV has to say about it :tongue_smilie:

I'm in florida and we even have one in the kitchen! In fact, every room but the bathrooms.