Menu

Are ceiling fans out of style?

I'm on the East Coast if that makes any difference in your answer.

I'm just wondering. Now, when I see pictures in a magazine of kids rooms, baby nurseries, kitchens, etc., there are only ever chandeliers depicted. I haven't seen a ceiling fan for a long while.

In in real peoples homes they still exist. Everyone here has them, including those with a/c. Doesn't it make you wonder what those power bills would be like?

I always leap to the dusting and cobweb-removal issues of those pretty chandeliers in all the bedrooms. Even when I chose our ceiling fans, streamlined design was my main objective - and I still have to hunt webs.

P.S. We use ours in the summer, too.

My sister and bil live on the east coast and they have them. Their house is really nice too.

Frankly, I could not care less if they were out of style. 2 out of 3 of our bedrooms have one and our family room.

I think ceiling fans are the sort of thing that if you want them for practical purposes does it realy matter if they are in style or not?

I always leap to the dusting and cobweb-removal issues of those pretty chandeliers in all the bedrooms. Even when I chose our ceiling fans, streamlined design was my main objective - and I still have to hunt webs.

P.S. We use ours in the summer, too.

Can you imagine wiping down each crystal and then what happens when they streak? Might make some go postal. I am too lazy for that. I still like being able to put the light fixtures covers from the fan in the dishwasher. :lol:

I don't think you will see them in style magazines, but they still serve a purpose and will always be used.

It is kind of like having a coffee pot on the counter. Is it stylish...nope. But, most people aren't likely to get rid of them due to style magazines leaving them out of the photos.

Can you imagine wiping down each crystal and then what happens when they streak? Might make some go postal. I am too lazy for that. I still like being able to put the light fixtures covers from the fan in the dishwasher. :lol:

OH! Fun with dishwashers! I didn't think of that one yet, but I like it. A LOT! :001_smile:

I remember hearing a long time ago that someone on House Swap...? the show where neighbors would redo each others' family rooms?...said fans were 'out' and everyone should get rid of their fans. I remember thinking that was a very stupid thing to think, and an even more stupid thing to do. Fans are awesome. Person was probably some born and raised suburban S. Californian punk whose mommy drove him/her from the AC'd house in the AC'd car to the AC'd mall. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't think you will see them in style magazines, but they still serve a purpose and will always be used.

It is kind of like having a coffee pot on the counter. Is it stylish...nope. But, most people aren't likely to get rid of them due to style magazines leaving them out of the photos.

Ah, yes, I see. Like (before flat TVs came out), magazines and home design shows would hide the TV, or all the furniture would be arranged in a pleasing way, but it wasn't facing the TV, which is how people usually do need their family room to be arranged. That always used to bug me, even though I'm not a big TV person and I agree they (used to) be ugly.

I remember hearing a long time ago that someone on House Swap...? the show where neighbors would redo each others' family rooms?...said fans were 'out' and everyone should get rid of their fans. I remember thinking that was a very stupid thing to think, and an even more stupid thing to do. Fans are awesome. Person was probably some born and raised suburban S. Californian punk whose mommy drove him/her from the AC'd house in the AC'd car to the AC'd mall. ;)

Yeah, on Trading Spaces, the first thing that designer guy named Doug would do is rip out the ceiling fan. Then he would ruin the rest of the room with his "vision". I hated that guy.

Yeah, on Trading Spaces, the first thing that designer guy named Doug would do is rip out the ceiling fan. Then he would ruin the rest of the room with his "vision". I hated that guy.

Yes! Trading Spaces! I was trying to remember. I was testing myself. I was refusing to look it up, trying to excersize my miniscule brain. Thank you, because it was bugging.

Doug sounds like a big stupid head!

Yes! Trading Spaces! I was trying to remember. I was testing myself. I was refusing to look it up, trying to excersize my miniscule brain. Thank you, because it was bugging.

Doug sounds like a big stupid head!

Ha, yeah...he was also one who would ignore the TV. I would think, "The minute the door closes behind the camera crew, those folks are going to have to re-arrange their plywood-and-batting 'couches' to face the TV. It might be a big, ugly box, but that is how normal people orient the seating in that room!"

The first thing we did when we bought our house was to rip out the ceiling fans. (And yes, I guess I'm one of those people who walks out of my air-conditioned house into my air-conditioned car and drives to the air-conditioned mall where the valet parks the car underground so it doesn't get hot... :tongue_smilie:)

I have to admit, though, that the ceiling fans are a lot more attractive now than they were 20 years ago when we bought our house. Ours were hideous. There are some very cool styles available now, and if I lived in an area where there was a lot of need for them, I'm sure I would have a few in the house.

But I'd still never give up central air conditioning. :rolleyes:

We had an old 1970s ceiling fan in our dining room when we moved into our current house. We got rid of it as soon as possible and replaced it with....another ceiling fan. It reduces the days we have to turn on the A/C!

Doug. Doug and his hatred of ceiling fans and BRICK. He still didn't compare to Hildy and the feathers she glued to a living room wall for a family that had a toddler :001_huh:.

Doug. Doug and his hatred of ceiling fans and BRICK. He still didn't compare to Hildy and the feathers she glued to a living room wall for a family that had a toddler :001_huh:.

I hated Hildy! I will always remember the time she took a perfectly attractive master bathroom and glued silk flowers all over the walls. All. Over. Them.

It was absolutely hideous, and all I could picture was the amount of mold that would be growing in that mess. :ack2:

I also remember her beach-themed basement, where she used sand as the flooring. You know, so it would be like a real beach. :tongue_smilie: I remember wondering if the homeowners had to remove all of that sand, or if they held the Trading Spaces people at gunpoint until they did it for them.

I can imagine anyone liking those rooms -- well, OK, the family cat might have loved all that sand in the basement. It was probably the litter box of his dreams. ;)

I dunno. Every house I've ever been in here in Central Texas--well, even in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area--has a ceiling fan. Lowe's and Home Depot still sell them, and there's a pretty big display of them.

ETA: I use my ceiling fans all year long, whether the heater or AC is running, so that I can have some air movement on days (most of the year) when I cannot open the windows.

Edited by Ellie

Oh my, I remember that one. There was one with straw too (can you say "fire hazard"?!). And Doug covering the brick fireplaces and making those poor women cry...

I'll never forget the bedroom Doug did for the prison guard, and made the whole bedroom look like a prison block. It was beyond disturbing!

Not in the South! First thing we do is put in a ceiling fan in every room used on a daily basis. Design magazines never show them, but I firmly believe in function over form.

:iagree: We have one in every room but the kitchen and dining room even though we have our a/c on. The fans really help reduce the electric bill.

I hated Hildy! I will always remember the time she took a perfectly attractive master bathroom and glued silk flowers all over the walls. All. Over. Them.

It was absolutely hideous, and all I could picture was the amount of mold that would be growing in that mess. :ack2:

Oh, no. She didn't glue them on. She STAPLED them on. And they were paper, not silk. Not only moldy, soggy paper flowers but rusty staples. :blink::ack2:

And what about the episode where she wallpapered a kitchen with labels from wine bottles? The kitchen that belonged to a conservative, teetotaling pastor and wife? The folks who had traded spaces with them brought wallpaper-removing stuff with them to the reveal.

And what about Doug and the fireplace? The one where the homeowner had put up notes all over saying "DON'T TOUCH THE FIREPLACE." So he didn't techinically touch the fireplace; he built a surround so that it was completely hidden. And the homeowner broke into tears at the reveal, wandering off camera with her mike still on, sniffing and snorting.

Yeah.

Oh my, I remember that one. There was one with straw too (can you say "fire hazard"?!). And Doug covering the brick fireplaces and making those poor women cry...

I'll never forget the bedroom Doug did for the prison guard, and made the whole bedroom look like a prison block. It was beyond disturbing!

I vividly remember that episode. He used TOILETS to make a bench at the foot of the bed. Horrific!!!!!

And what's funny out of ALL of that Trading Spaces memories, is that TY, the freaking "carpenter" is now hawking his "home design" crap in stores these days. Hahaha, makes me laugh everytime I walk by something of his....the so-called carpenter of a design show is selling comforters and sheets:lol:.

Here in Western Australia they are definitely on the way out :glare: The new houses they are building all have low ceilings and ducted air-conditioning. It makes me so cross, especially when same people that build these huge, energy-inefficient houses start bleating on about saving the planet. Bring Back the Ceiling Fan, I say!

I think it's funny that we remember all of the epic fails from Trading Spaces. :D

My favorite designer was always Vern Yip, and although I didn't always like her rooms, I thought Genevieve Gorder tried to design rooms with the owners in mind, and she was always nice to the neighbors who were helping her.

I remember once hearing Vern Yip say that he always looked at the rest of the house before he designed the room, to make sure it would fit in. It also seemed like he was more willing to put in extra hours with the neighbors and not just give them a ton of "homework" while he went out to dinner.

I also thought that Frank guy was fun to watch. I can't remember his last name, though.

It used to be scary how some of the designers would take a country-crafty-gingham house and add a dark, exotic Moroccan-style family room, or some other ridiculous thing.

Here in Western Australia they are definitely on the way out :glare: The new houses they are building all have low ceilings and ducted air-conditioning. It makes me so cross, especially when same people that build these huge, energy-inefficient houses start bleating on about saving the planet. Bring Back the Ceiling Fan, I say!

LOW CEILINGS?!? My husband (and likely my son, eventually) would suffer from awful claustrophobia. I'll keep my ceiling fans, even if it means my husband has to duck the cords now and then.

Trading Spaces *sniff* such memories. Back with TLC was known as The Learning Channel. Remember Decorating with Style?

Ceiling fans? Practical, yes. High style, probably not.

But please don't do like the owners of our previous house. The put a chandelier light fixture, a cheapie one at that, attached as a light kit to the ceiling fan. Thank goodness it was a vaulted ceiling, but it was the first thing to go. OMG, please don't do that!!!!

We're still debating on whether to put a ceiling fan in the classroom. Ds has decided he likes the bare bulb hanging and wants to keep it. Personally, I'm thinking it's life span is about gone.

My SIL in TN took her ceiling fans out about a year and half ago. Her design mags said the ceiling fan era was over. She took all of them out and replaced them with pretty nice, energy-efficient track lighting. But her power bill jumped $37 per month (averaged over 12 months) since her HVAC was almost constantly running (keeps her house at 72 degrees year round). She has put ceiling fans back in the upstairs bedrooms but refuses to put them in the downstairs, public rooms since they are out of style.

Style? Our house is 100 years old. We do "not broken" and "not leaking" and "no wires showing." We don't do style. (Actually, I take that back. I was beyond relieved that this house didn't have wood paneling.)

I like ceiling fans, but we don't have any. We do have tall ceilings and transoms!

I think they're a little dated.

I have ceiling fans in my family room and all of the bedrooms.

I really like the one in my family room. The room has a high ceiling, and the fan perfectly suits the decor & feel of the room.

The picture is of the fan that I love.

I don't love the ones in the kid rooms, but you know, they're kid rooms. It's ok.

The guilty part is that I *hate* the one in my room, and I was just thinking about how much I'd love to get rid of it and put something more...romantic, in there. I know the fan is practical, but it's ugly, and just...:ack2:

If I did replace the fan with something more decorative, I'd want this cool retro fan to put out just during the season we need it:

http://www.hunterfan.com/Products/Portable-Fans/Retro-Fan-90406/

post-517-13535086196187_thumb.jpg

post-517-13535086196187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Julie in CA