Menu

Math advice needed! (plus Saxon-go from 6th grade math into Alg 1/2?)

Or is 8/7 needed first? Feel free to point me to old threads!

This would be for a not super strong math student who I *think* we'd do CLE6 (and prbly MM6, which I have) and then need to go right into pre-algebra due to going to school in another year to start Algebra there (in 8th).

But I can adjust any way and do, say, Saxon 7/6 and then Algebra 1/2, or whatever.

So basically I have 19 months to get her through 6th grade and pre-algebra. She has always done CLE which I think is ahead so even though she's just finishing CLE5 it is more like early to mid-6th grade work I would say.

We have lots of time to spend on math, and I may do a bit of Hands-On Equations too.

The general consensus seemed to be that one would go from 7/6 to EITHER 8/7 (if they needed more basic math review) OR 1/2 (if they didn't need more review.) From either 8/7 OR 1/2, they would go to Saxon Algebra 1.

So, Saxon 7/6 ----> (8/7 OR 1/2) -----> Saxon Algebra 1

The Saxon Middle School placement tests seem very much on target. The best, most objective way to sort out this type of question, especially in the case of transferring from another math program, would be to have the student simply do the placement test and then start wherever s/he places.

Edited by yvonne
typo!

I believe Yvonne had a typo in her summary. The final step would be Algebra 1. Saxon 87 includes pre-algebra plus further review and drill of middle grade math. It is much more difficult than 76.

Definitely take the assessment test. It will tell you where to start. Incidentally, the official Saxon perspective is to go with 87 then Algebra 1.

Edited by Brenda in FL

I believe Yvonne had a typo in her summary. The final step would be Algebra 1. Saxon 87 includes pre-algebra plus further review and drill of middle grade math. It is much more difficult than 76.

Definitely take the assessment test. It will tell you where to start. Incidentally, the official Saxon perspective is to go with 87 then Algebra 1.

:iagree:

I checked this very thing out myself, and did the full research with the Saxon website. Algebra 1/2 is for students using the older version of Saxon 7/6 prior to starting Algebra 1. 8/7 actually includes Pre-Algebra and is quite important to take before launching into Algebra 1.

My not-so-mathy kid is going straight into 8/7 from 7/6 (newer edition). I would not recommend skipping 8/7 because, like stated above, it is much more difficult than 7/6. I just got the book and it's almost twice as thick too.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

When I was homeschooling my boys I was big into pushing math. I believed accelerated math was the key that unlocked major opportunities. Planning on AP calc was a major goal for my younger, and when I was planning on my older attending PS high school, 8th grade algebra was a given. I was pretty obsessed with not wasting a precious moment in reviewing anything. Push ahead at all costs, was my motto.

The older never ended out in PS. The younger ended out in a junior college satellite school that didn't even offer calculus and took an algebra class to earn his math credit!

I'd focus on where she is at, and then move ahead with steady progress. Top down planning IS important, but...we so often incorrectly see the future :-0

Ok-that's very helpful. So I'm understanding that if they do 8/7, that suffices as pre-algebra, just like any other pre-algebra, and then they're basically ready for any algebra program?

That's right. Furthermore, the Saxon website advises that test grades above 80% (maybe 85%) at the end of the course, indicates successful completion of Saxon 87. If test scores are below 80% you may want to consider doing Algebra 1/2 in between 87 and Algebra 1. I'm sure you'll know by then if your child's ready for Algebra 1.