Menu

French speakers: What can you tell me about French Bible translations?

Sahamamama

I have what I think is called the "Esaie 55" edition, or "la nouvelle edition d'apres la traduction de Louis Segond." I'm not especially concerned with modern-lingo versions in English, because we like going from the King James to a few other versions -- the girls enjoy the old-fashioned English, and we stick with the basics at this point, anyway.

However, I think that as we journey more and more into French, a modern version would be good to have on hand. I know nothing (at this point) about French Bible versions. I'm off to research, but thought I'd start by asking here.

Your question got me curious. Were you able to find any information about the translation philosophy of the French translations you found? The older/modern language distinction is useful and interesting, but at least in English versions, I've heard also of the formal/dynamic equivalence issue, and that cuts across modern language versions. So the NIV is dynamic equivalence, more willing to rephrase in an effort to be contemporary/accessible, while the NKJ is formal equivalence, sticking closer to the actual language of the original, even though both are modern language versions. Theoretically the same distinction could exist in older versions too, though I'm guessing (ignorantly) that older versions may have more often been aiming at formal equivalence. I'm a fan of formal equivalence translations for study but sometimes supplemented with dynamic equivalence versions as a kind of commentary.