4.Death of a Chimney Sweep-MC Beaton

5. DC Dead- Stuart Woods

6. V is for Vengeance- Sue Grafton

7. The Vault- Ruth Rendell

8. As the Pig Turns- MC Beaton

9. NO Rest for the Dead- 26 authors

and this one is new

10. If Looks Could Kill-Kate White

NOw I am reading The Barbed-Wire Kiss by Wallace Stroby for my mystery book club

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Ahab's Wife (finally!)

I haven't started it yet and can't wait to finish it by the sound of things. Judging by what others with similar reading tastes have been saying, I think it's rather unlikely that I'll like it :tongue_smilie:. Wish I hadn't been in such a rush to purchase it. :001_huh:

Yes, I am. I must admit, though, that this is my first P.D. James book. And, I am not fully pleased with the way she has chosen to write Elizabeth's character in this book. However, I came into it expecting to be disappointed because of how much I like Austen's books and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it.

Interesting, I am a big fan of both James and Austen. I found Death at Pemberley disappointing, although I wasn't sorry I read it. It is not at all James' best mystery. Maybe I went in with higher hopes. :)

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction about a Hmong child with a severe seizure disorder in the '80s. Cultural dislocation and misunderstandings mean that things do not go well, but full of a lot of information about Hmong culture and history. Similar in scope to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Lots of interviews and research. Well done, although I doubt the author really understands the seizure disorder, my son has it as well so I really felt for the parents.

This is one of my all time favorite books. She does such an amazing job of showing the different perspectives. I think this one should be a must read for everyone in medical school.

I'll be finishing Devil in the White City today. I have to stop reading and make my kitchen sanitary today and I resent the wits out of that. I am in LOVE with this book. The stress that is building is unbelievable and watching eveyone moving around this psychopathic serial killer and not being able to recognize that is frightening.

I loved the historical parts of that book, but the psychopathic guy stuff was too creepy for me. :tongue_smilie:

Have you read any of the Charlie Parker series? Are they any good?

Have you read any of the John Scalzi books? Agent to the Stars is a hoot -- an extraterrestrial hires a Hollywood talent agent to help introduce his species to earth. Wil Wheaton reads the audio book, which is extra fun.

I will have to find those! Thanks for the recommendations.

When do you read? Are your books short? I just don't get it! Maybe you don't sleep? :D

SJ, I just have to say that I love your avatar photo. Lovely.

The whole premise of taking a box of real-life ephemera and crafting a story around it was intriguing, but the narrative she created was only possible because there were no relatives left to sue for libel.

I agree. I found some of the leaps she made about this woman's life pretty surprising & wondered if the woman was turning in her grave.

I read "Watership Down" this week. Who knew that reading about bunnies could be so 'edge on your seat' kind of reading? I love this book! I think this might just be on my 'Top 10' list of all time.

Am I the only oddball out being someone who did not enjoy this book? I couldn't even finish it. (To be fair, 'animal' books are not my thing.) I tried it a couple of years ago when my dc were reading it for their book club. I really didn't like it. (My kids didn't care for it either.)

The kids wanting to be fed is really interrupting my reading time. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Edited by Stacia

I heard an NPR show about the Jefferson bible so I bought that for my kindle too.

It's acutally pretty interesting.

#13 Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. I know this came out awhile ago but I had never read it till now when my sister loaned a copy.

I keep thinking I should read this book....

P.S. I have never read the Harry Potter books either, although some of my kids have.

Glad to know there are other HP virgins like me. :lol:

P.P.S. I tried reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and couldn't get into it. I guess I'm just weird. Can I still post here? ;)

Well, I did manage to read it, but I'm kind-of w/ you. It wasn't really my cup of tea. I still post & haven't been kicked off the book group yet! :tongue_smilie::lol:

I'm about halfway through "The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane," by Katherine Howe. I'm enjoying it, but I kind of wish it would pick up a little. It wants very badly to be either "Possesion" or "A Discovery of Witches," but it's not grabbing my attention. I had actually started it before "Angelica" but set it aside.

I wanted to read Deliverance Dane back when it came out, but the library wait list was really long. Maybe I'll have to add it back on my 'to-read' list. I also want to read A Discovery of Witches -- keep seeing that one recommended on Goodreads too.

I'm trying to read it! :rolleyes: I have been on the library wait list for 3 months and it doesn't look like it will be coming my way anytime soon.

Same here.

I haven't started it yet and can't wait to finish it by the sound of things. Judging by what others with similar reading tastes have been saying, I think it's rather unlikely that I'll like it :tongue_smilie:.

Don't give up yet. Maybe you'll enjoy it! :001_smile:

:iagree: I love P.D. James and am lukewarm to Austen (generally prefer the movies about the books to the books themselves, though I have read P&P).

James's mysteries usually start off slow, but this one started off slow and never got going. I read another review (on these boards??) that said it seemed like something James wrote for herself that then just got passed along to the publisher since she has a built-in fan base from 1) her own mystery novels and 2) the Austen crowd.

In fact, I don't think I've read a single review that unreservedly loved Death At Pemberley. It is my first DNF of 2012, so take my comments for what they're worth. I read about halfway and gave up.

Unfortunately, now I must agree somewhat with the above posters. I may have responded too quickly. I am still enjoying the book. I will probably finish it tonight and I won't regret having read it. But, it just never picks up and in parts has become quite bogged down.

Am I the only oddball out being someone who did not enjoy this book? I couldn't even finish it. (To be fair, 'animal' books are not my thing.) I tried it a couple of years ago when my dc were reading it for their book club. I really didn't like it. (My kids didn't care for it either.)

No, Stacia, you most certainly are not. :D We had to read it when I was 11. I loathed it. :glare:

Don't give up yet. Maybe you'll enjoy it! :001_smile:

Thanks :D. I haven't even started it and it will be a while before I do. Like all books, I'll give it at least 10%. :)

8. A Chicken in Every Yard by Robert and Hannah Litt

------------

Fantastic book! When I get chickens, I'll be getting this book first. The authors walk you through owning a chicken, step by step, without being over the top. You'll learn about the different breeds of chickens and their strengths and weaknesses. You'll learn how to care for your chicken, including a guide to the most common illnesses and how to treat them. There is even a plan for building your own coop. I highly recommend this book - it's thorough, yet very readable and enjoyable.

---------

7. Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott

6. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

5. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

4. Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Nasland

3. At Home by Bill Bryson

2. Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison

1. Little Sugar Addicts by Kathleen DesMaisons

#11 The Barbed-Wire Kiss by Wallace Stroby

This was a first novel, and most of it was quite good. I did skip over some parts which weren't integral to the story since I am not at all interested in fishing and some other things. THe writer did make one mistake with the main character- it was totally out of character for the guy and didn't add anything to the story. Over all, it was an interesting read but I don't think there will be sequels with the same characters. I would classify it as a hard-boiled detective story. I read it for my mystery book club.

I'm late posting.

This week I finished Books that Build Character - it was pretty good. I like the book recommendations as there were quite a few I'd never heard of!

I also finished Beorn the Proud as a readaloud with the kids but I'm counting it due to it's length. I enjoyed it and my older 2 children did, as well.

so my list for this year

1. Radical by David Platt

2. The Vikings by Elizabeth Janeway

3. Books that Build Character

4. Beorn the Proud by M Polland

I intend to finish Midsummer Night's Dream this week and I'm reading Ahab's Wife, which I'm really enjoying!

I finally finished week 3's book, Ahab's Wife. I enjoyed the story and the writing, but I can't say it made me want to read Moby Dick. Still undecided about whether I'll join y'all for that challenge or not. I did like the author enough that I'd like to read something else she wrote. Any recommendations? :)

For wwek 4, I am reading the much shorter Slam by Nick Hornby. It is a young adult book.

I finished #3 Catching Fire earlier this week. I just finished #4 Mockingjay.

These kinds of novels always make me wonder about the author and how they could possibly invent something so convoluted and brutal.

I have no idea what I'm going to read next.

I really want to join in, but am not sure I'll keep up the pace. So far I'm at half speed.

Last night I finished 1984

2012 list

Animal Farm

Currently working on Hidden Mickey 3 (Adult Twaddle :lol:)

eta: I went to start Faherenheit 451 and realized I'd reserved it in Spanish. Off to rereserve.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
update on book

Has anyone on the thread read War and Peace? I checked it out from the library yesterday. Am I out of my mind to think I might actually be able to finish it in a couple of months? I don't know if I can hack it. Some of you may remember it took me six months last year on and off before I finished A Tale of Two Cities. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't read it but it's on my to-read shelf. Hopefully I'll get to it this year, perhaps in the summer. I'm reading the Iliad now and someone suggested doing a compare and contrast with War and Peace. Hmmmm ....... sounds interesting ...... :001_smile:

Haven't attempted W&P, but I'm thinking about tackling Anna Karenina :) If you're losing your mind, I must be right there with you. Maybe it's a February thing :tongue_smilie:

I'm reading Anna Karenina now, so perhaps I'm out of my mind as well. :D I'm reading it as a buddy-read with a group on Goodreads and that is really helping me get through it.

Has anyone on the thread read War and Peace? I checked it out from the library yesterday. Am I out of my mind to think I might actually be able to finish it in a couple of months? I don't know if I can hack it. Some of you may remember it took me six months last year on and off before I finished A Tale of Two Cities. :tongue_smilie:

Glad you asked! War And Peace is my first book of this year, and I hope to finish it today, as a matter of fact. I started it the day after Christmas. It's really quite a page-turner once you figure out who's who. I would be pleased if someone else were to read it this year. I was a little sad last year that my reading list didn't overlap with anyone else's.

I finished #3 Catching Fire earlier this week. I just finished #4 Mockingjay.

These kinds of novels always make me wonder about the author and how they could possibly invent something so convoluted and brutal.

I have to agree with you. I just read The Hunger Games and that was enough for me. When I read, there has to be something positive I can pull from the book (not that everything in the book has to be positive) and that book left me :svengo:

Glad you asked! War And Peace is my first book of this year, and I hope to finish it today, as a matter of fact. I started it the day after Christmas. It's really quite a page-turner once you figure out who's who. I would be pleased if someone else were to read it this year. I was a little sad last year that my reading list didn't overlap with anyone else's.

I LOVED your list from last year so I think we should have some books in common in 2012. I love classics and I'm trying to make even more of an effort to read them this year! :001_smile:

Well, tell us what you're reading next, and we'll see if we can get some overlap going. :D Inquiring minds want to know.

This week I finished Pride and Prejudice (loved!!!!) and Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs by the Hillstrand brothers of DISC's Deadliest Catch. (Not an award winner by any stretch, but interesting nonetheless based on my interest in the show and my personal background.)

I am currently reading Entwined by Heather Dixon. 25% in and enjoying the retelling of Grimm's The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Love the cover:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjnayysD4mJ4XOxZHQlPcahOcN3istiRxsUzyJDTWw2WQ3xBy1RA

My 2012 list:

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

3. Time Bandit by Andy & Johnathan Hillstrand and Malcolm MacPherson

2. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Haven't attempted W&P, but I'm thinking about tackling Anna Karenina :) If you're losing your mind, I must be right there with you. Maybe it's a February thing :tongue_smilie:

I read War and Peace last year. It took me a long time but I felt like it was well worth the effort. It is a great story but I did get bogged down at times. I tend to read more than one book at once and what I finally had to do with War and Peace was only allow myself to read non-fiction while I was reading it. I'd say it took me about 6 months but I read a lot of other books at the same time.

I read Anna Karenina a few years ago and of the two I enjoyed AK more. I've heard a lot of other people say the opposite.

I didn't think the series was particularly 'convoluted and brutal.' :confused: It reminded me a lot of The Running Man (written by Stephen King, made into a Schwarzenegger movie) and other dystopian fiction. Then again, I read a lot of true crime and thriller fiction, too.

I love dystopian fiction but they always leave me with the same feeling. Not sure how to describe it...maybe shell-shocked. I get really emotionally involved with books and movies; my husband shakes his head at me as I laugh out loud, inhale sharply, cry, etc. while reading.

Maybe I read them more darkly than intended? I think the trailer to the movie looks way too clean and bright. District 12 doesn't look decrepit, dirty, worn down, or beaten down like I envisioned it. Katniss, Gale, and Peeta look too well fed. I can't imagine the movie doing justice to the book. The only way I can envision a movie working is if they somehow filmed most of it as Katniss's shadow, allowing the watcher to feel the terror and horror first hand...and then it would be way too scary and traumatic to watch. My version of the movie would give most people PTSD.

I read Stephen King as a teen. I loved it even though It gave me nightmares for months.

In addition to reading The Coral Thief, I've also started one that seems apropos considering that the Oscar nominations just came out... Zeroville by Steve Erickson.

From Publisher's Weekly:

"Set primarily in Los Angeles from the late 1960s through 1980s, this darkly funny, wise but flawed novel from Erickson (Arc d'X) focuses on our collective fascination with movies. Vikar Jerome, whose almost deranged film fixation manifests itself in the images of Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift tattooed on his bald head, wanders around Hollywood, where he gets mistaken for a perp in the Charles Manson murders and is robbed by a man who turns out to be a fellow film buff. After Vikar becomes a film editor, he's kidnapped by revolutionaries in Spain who want him to edit their propaganda film. Later, he wins a Cannes Film Festival award in France and receives an Oscar nomination, with strange consequences. Vikar repeatedly crosses paths with actress Soledad Palladin and her daughter, Zazi, though ambiguities in his relationship with this enigmatic pair, along with a recurring dream of his, derail this black comedy toward the end. The sudden point-of-view shift and possible supernatural element jar in an otherwise brilliant, often hilarious love song to film."

I actually found this book because of the lovely book (In a Strange Room) that Robin sent to me. I enjoyed the book, and not just the story itself, but the book cover, paper, etc.... I loved the edition of the book so I looked up the publisher (Europa editions) & started poking around their site. They have some great looking books & this is just one of theirs that I'm planning to read after discovering Europa's site....

I am still behind but it is encouraging reading all your choices. I finished My Antonia and I thought it was ok but some parts seemed to go on and on. Plus I didn't like the ending. Oh well. I quickly read Organized Simplicity so now I am on my 4th book. I liked OS and hope to do some of that cleaning and organizing this summer but not now. I like to procrastinate.:lol:

I have finally received Ahab's Wife from the library and it looks a little daunting. I also have Snow Flower and the Secret Fan so I will read one of those for my 4th book. If I choose AW I have a feeling that I will get even more behind but at least I am continuing to read and that is the point, right?

I am currently reading Entwined by Heather Dixon. 25% in and enjoying the retelling of Grimm's The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Love the cover:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjnayysD4mJ4XOxZHQlPcahOcN3istiRxsUzyJDTWw2WQ3xBy1RA

My 2012 list:

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

3. Time Bandit by Andy & Johnathan Hillstrand and Malcolm MacPherson

2. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Dd17 just finished Entwined this week. She really liked it! I think that it was her Book #4. I have such a TBR list and I am already behind (there just has not been a lot of reading time for me), but I think I would like this, too!!

I read War and Peace a couple years ago. It took me two weeks but I'm a fast reader and wasn't reading anything else at the time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The trick is not to get bogged down by all the characters at first. As you read will get to know them better and won't have difficulty remembering whose who after a short bit. Here's link to my review. You'll probably be able to finish it in a couple months if you set a goal to read a certain amount per day. However, you may discover as I did, that once you start reading, won't want to put it down for a while.

I really want to join in, but am not sure I'll keep up the pace. So far I'm at half speed.

Last night I finished 1984

2012 list

Animal Farm

Currently working on Hidden Mickey 3 (Adult Twaddle :lol:)

eta: I went to start Faherenheit 451 and realized I'd reserved it in Spanish. Off to rereserve.

Jump right in. Every one is reading at a difference pace and some have set individual goals for themselves so you'll fit in just fine. Never heard of Hidden Mickey 3. What is it about?

Well, tell us what you're reading next, and we'll see if we can get some overlap going. :D Inquiring minds want to know.

I've actually built up quite the pile over the last month. Feel free to pick one that looks appealing, and then I'll know what to read next! :D

John Le Carre, either Tinker, Tailor or The Spy Who Came In From the Cold

Felix Feneon, Novels in Three Lines

Plato, either Crito or The Apology

Edward Gordon, Centuries of Tutoring: A History of Alternative Education in America and Western Europe

Strunk & White, Elements of Style

Shakespeare, Henry the Sixth Part II

Seventeenth-Century Prose, ed. Peter Ure

Polidori, The Vampyre

Balzac, Droll Stories

F. C. Copleston, Aquinas

Several of these recommend themselves by their brevity. Any look good?

ETA: Not Strunk & White after all. Just read the first few pages (after White's intro) and nearly fell into the soup with boredom.

Edited by Sharon in Austin
one more

Finished finished finished finished!!!!!!

1. Tolstoy, War and Peace. Rosemary Edmonds, tr.

Whew!

I think he could have done without that last fifty pages of discourse on the theory of history and free will, but I suppose I'm not his editor. Anyway, a fabulous book, and I can't believe I never read it before. If you think of it as a trilogy - and it lends itself to a nice tripartite division - it's really quite tackleable.

Vocabulary I had to look up: jabot, epergne, snaffle, shako, sutler, limber (noun), Martinist, boston, bast, quinsy, hetman, cicatrize

Finished "Confessions of a Prairie B****" by Alison Arngrim, recommended in one of the 52in52 threads.

Hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. The funny thing is that I couldn't sit through the first episode of the series and kept comparing it to the book. I'll give it another try.

Oh, and I reread some parts of "The Night Circus". :o

I belonged to two book clubs up until a couple of years ago when I just let life get in the way. I screwed up. :(

Anyway, I went to one tonight and had an utter blast. They were so kind and welcoming. It felt so good to be back there.

And the classics book club I belonged to meets next week and they are doing Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Anyone know if it's possible to even read that in one week? I like to go slower with classical literature.

But if I went back to that club too and continued on with the Shakespeare group like I intend, I'd surpass my goal of at least 20 classics this year.

We discussed Devil in the White City tonight. Ratings for it ranged from 6.9 to 9. I gave it an 8 because it was hard for me to slog through the architectural stuff in the beginning but the last 200 pages flew by for me. I'm doing another Erik Larsson book later - the one about Marconi.

And the book club leader suggested three more for me because she knows my taste very well. Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan, To be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal, and Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell. Anyone read those? I already tossed those onto my kindle. :lol:

Edited by Jennifer3141

Polidori, The Vampyre

I learned quite a bit about him a couple of years ago when I read The Monsters: Mary Shelley & the Curse of Frankenstein.

ETA: Not Strunk & White after all. Just read the first few pages (after White's intro) and nearly fell into the soup with boredom.

:lol: When I saw this listed, I was wondering how you were going to 'read' this one. (I think of it as a reference text, not a book to be read from start to finish.)

Awesome! (How's that for a Tolstoyesque word? :tongue_smilie::lol:)

Ok, ok, now I feel like I should really tackle War & Peace sometime this year.... Did you select this particular translation for a reason...???

Ok, ok, now I feel like I should really tackle War & Peace sometime this year.... Did you select this particular translation for a reason...???

I'm inspired too! The great War and Peace challenge of 2012! Let's do it! But Stacia has a good question there -- which translation and why??

Btw, I'm listening to a great recording of Great Expectations. I'm actually looking forward to my drives, and thinking of important errands to run, just to listen to more of it! I haven't been knitting or crocheting and listening as we have a new puppy, and I just don't think she would leave a ball of yarn alone, much less leave me alone while I did something so interesting.

Whew!

I think he could have done without that last fifty pages of discourse on the theory of history and free will, but I suppose I'm not his editor. Anyway, a fabulous book, and I can't believe I never read it before. If you think of it as a trilogy - and it lends itself to a nice tripartite division - it's really quite tackleable.

Vocabulary I had to look up: jabot, epergne, snaffle, shako, sutler, limber (noun), Martinist, boston, bast, quinsy, hetman, cicatrize

:party::cheers2:

I've actually built up quite the pile over the last month. Feel free to pick one that looks appealing, and then I'll know what to read next! :D

You pick the coolest books, Sharon.

I'd enjoy this. Let me know which one you pick.

This one looks thoroughly depressing, though.

Pretty sure I'm not smart enough for this.

Edward Gordon, Centuries of Tutoring: A History of Alternative Education in America and Western Europe

$50 used on Amazon! :eek: How good is it? $50 worth of good? Let us know.

I actually read this straight through in high school, and now I make my kids do the same. Obviously I need a re-read, but...well, I'd rather read Le Carre.

I'm about to do Richard III with ds for his AP study.

Can't seem to find this.

Polidori, The Vampyre

Vampires? This would be completely out of my comfort zone. Can't wait to read your review.

Balzac, Droll Stories

This looks very interesting, and it's free on Kindle. Why does his name sound so familiar? I'll try it.

F. C. Copleston, Aquinas

This looks great, too.

Which ones are brief? :D

LOL!

My comments are above within the quote in red.

Edited by Luann in ID

Aawwww ..... I really wanted to read Anna K, but if everyone wanted to do a group read of W&P instead, I'd be willing. (If it makes a difference, Anna K is a bit shorter than W&P: 862 vs 1296. I have no idea how many screen shots that equals on the Nook :lol:)

As far as translations go, Pevear and Volokhonsky have won lots of awards. They did the translation of Anna K used by Oprah's Book Club and have a W&P translation too.

I'm reading the Russians in February: one HUGE fiction book (Tolstoy) plus Robert Massie's nonfiction Catherine the Great. Reading Moscow in winter somehow seems fitting. :D It's a good idea, anyway ....

I've read Anna before but you could easily convince me to do it again. I just need to get Moby done first! :)

Polidori, The Vampyre

Balzac, Droll Stories

F. C. Copleston, Aquinas

You pick the coolest books, Sharon.

:iagree: with Luann!

I would enjoy participating in a "read-along" for several of the books on your list, Sharon. Should you choose to want to do something like this...

By the way, public radio's Diane Rehm has selected Edith Wharton's novel Ethan Frome as her February Reader's Review selection. The program will air on February 22. This book is now on my list.

By the way, public radio's Diane Rehm has selected Edith Wharton's novel Ethan Frome as her February Reader's Review selection. The program will air on February 22. This book is now on my list.

Oh man...I had to read that book as an incoming junior is hs...over the summer. Totally not a summer read. For that alone, I think you'd have to pay me to read it again, lol.

Aawwww ..... I really wanted to read Anna K, but if everyone wanted to do a group read of W&P instead, I'd be willing. (If it makes a difference, Anna K is a bit shorter than W&P: 862 vs 1296. I have no idea how many screen shots that equals on the Nook :lol:)

As far as translations go, Pevear and Volokhonsky have won lots of awards. They did the translation of Anna K used by Oprah's Book Club and have a W&P translation too.

I'm reading Anna K now. I'd say I'm about 60% of the way through and I'm only mildly enjoying it. I'd do W&P, if I were you. But that said, I would love it if some of you did a group read of Anna K. and then you could tell me if I'm missing something. :confused:

This year has started out strange: all the books I thought I'd like, I haven't, and all the books I thought I wouldn't like, I have. :tongue_smilie: