Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 4

I missed posting last week, but I've been busy reading. In the last couple of weeks I've finished Sickened: The True Story of a Lost Childhood by Julie Gregory, and Her Mother's Hope and Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers. I need to get my reviews written.

I'm not sure what's up next. I have a few books from which to choose. Maybe some non-fiction.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having a very slow time with reading this year - most unusual - but then, a lot IS going on . . . :001_smile:

This week I finished:

#3 - Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith, by Anne Lamott. I've read three of Lamott's nonfiction books (two in a row, with the third separated by one other book). It was enough - more than enough. In fact, I had a fourth library book of hers that I returned unread. I needed a break. She's definitely a good writer, honest, draws you in, captures the ordinary nuances in an enticing way. Her views are so radically different than mine, however, that I wanted to move on for now. I'll definitely pick her up again sometime in the future (but not two books in a row, much less three)!

Well, I did move on - to brain candy! Currently, I'm reading:

#4 - The Moment I Saw You, by Lisa Samson. Christian fiction. Light, gentle reading so far.

Not sure what's up next. Possibly something in my stack to be read here at home.

I plowed through Hunger Games (book one) Fri-Sat. I'm a fan of dystopian lit, so I was looking forward to seeing if a YA take on that genre would satisfy me- and it did. It's not rocket science :lol:, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. (Uh, is it weird that I enjoyed a book about a fight to the death? :001_huh:) HG was a page-turner, 'couldn't put it down' kinda book. Katniss had me from the first page. :) Looking forward to book 2!

6. Hunger Games (first book)

5. Lost Memory of Skin

4. By Heart

3. The Collaborative Habit

2. Raising Freethinkers

1. Skippy Dies

This week, I'll finish Ahab's Wife. (I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed this book and am so thankful it was a recommended in this challenge because I probably never would have discovered it otherwise!)

I'm 3/4 of the way through AW so I'll finish another book this week. Trying to decide between The Sisters Brothers, The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains, or Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I finished Devil in the White City while in the tub tonight. Wow. It took awhile to grip me because it starts with a lot of highly technical architecture stuff but it is amazing. The history that came from the Chicago World's Fair is just awesome. And then in the quieter parts of the book, pure evil and total insanity lurk.

I'll polish off Ahab's Wife this week and take a brain candy break with some sci fi stuff. I heard an NPR show about the Jefferson bible so I bought that for my kindle too. That sounds like a bible I could get. :001_smile:

I've just finished 'The Darcys & the Bingleys' by Marsha Altman. I really oughn't read P&P "sequels" but I don't seem to be able to help myself! At least this one was very silly rather than outright horrible like whatever that trilogy I read the other year was. A very, very silly book, but it made me laugh out loud quite a few times! An excellent companion in last night's insomnia!

:)

Rosie

Book # 5 is "Still Life" by Louise Penny. My on-line book group has been talking about this author for awhile so I decided to give her a whirl. I'm only about 40 pages in but I am enjoying what I have read so far. :001_smile:

Penny has become one of my favorite mystery writers. She does the updated cozy village murder so well.

I finished Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George this week. I also read The Rise and Fall of Mt. Majestic by Jennifer Trafton. (I stole it from ds's stack of library books.)

I'm not sure what's next. I'm working on The Death of Adam by Marilynne Robinson and I think I may start Below Stairs:The Classic Kitchen Maid's Memoir by Margaret Powell. I'm also really enjoying watching Downton Abbey right now and I think that would be a nice accompaniment. I'm reading Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck with my kids right now and it also reminds me of Downton Abbey somewhat.

Read so far:

1. The Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

2. The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee

3. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

4. I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson

5. The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

6. Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George

7. The Rise and Fall of Mt. Majestic by Jennifer Trafton

This week I finished Persuasion, my favorite Austen novel. It gets better with each re-reading.

And as much as I wanted to read Ahab's Wife with the thread, I couldn't get myself to the bookstore to purchase a copy. So, instead I am reading Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James and God's Smuggler by John Sherrill and Brother Andrew.

52/52

3. Persuasion by Jane Austen

2. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Are you enjoying Death Comes to Pemberley?

Missed week #3 thread. So, last week I finished The Thirteenth Tale. It was OK. Interesting story that kept my attention after the first couple chapters. But, after just having read The Tiger's Wife, which was beautifully written, I found Setterfield's writing a little blah. I also finished Give them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick...excellent. This week I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. Crude for sure, but the funny bits are really funny!

3) Give them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick

2) The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

1) The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

Well, I decided to let Ahab's Wife Go. I just couldn't seem to get engrossed in the story. Maybe I've had too many distractions lately to give it the time and thought it needs. I may also have to let Moby Dick slide too for the same reasons.

I'm about halfway through The World-Tilting Gospel by Dan Phillips and am really enjoying it.

It's a great question, how did Nazi Germany keep the war going so long? And, now I know. This book was pretty dry, and I had a difficult time MAKING myself get through it. It was one of those books where I had to force myself to read so many pages every day, and then I wondered why I made myself do it. There were some interesting parts, and I do think I have a better understanding of this particular aspect of WWII.

So are you going to share your new found wisdom?

This week I finished Persuasion, my favorite Austen novel. It gets better with each re-reading.

I just finished it last week, and watched the 1995 movie last night. :D

I've just finished 'The Darcys & the Bingleys' by Marsha Altman. I really oughn't read P&P "sequels" but I don't seem to be able to help myself! At least this one was very silly rather than outright horrible like whatever that trilogy I read the other year was. A very, very silly book, but it made me laugh out loud quite a few times! An excellent companion in last night's insomnia!

:)

Rosie

So, Rosie, you going to pick up where we left off on the WEM books? Let's see I think I left St. Teresa about midway.

I will if you will. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I decided to let Ahab's Wife Go. I just couldn't seem to get engrossed in the story. Maybe I've had too many distractions lately to give it the time and thought it needs. I may also have to let Moby Dick slide too for the same reasons.

Same here. I'm not in the mood for a profound fiction. I tend to like light fiction. I leave the pondering material for my non-fiction reads. Usually. ;)

I read a lot of deep thought provoking books last year, and I'm still feeling the effects. I think right now I want fun books.

However, I am reading TWTM right now again. The logic section specifically, and I have to read it in portions so I can take notes, cross reference, plan, and lament on the fact that I'm not up to par with the logic stage standards yet. SWB mentions several times that as the parent you don't have to do as much one-on-one time as with grammar stage. Well, that's not really the case here as my logic stage ds is dyslexic so it is still mostly one-on-one. I feel like my 2nd grader is missing out because I do have to spend so much time with my oldest. Sigh. Marathon...not a race.

This week I finished #6 Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley and #7 How the Other Half Lives- Jacob Riis.

I really enjoyed reading Sink Reflections. Since I've looked at the Flylady's website and receive her emails, I didn't expect to really gain a lot from the book. Indeed, I have "heard" most of it before, but I realized that I, personally, respond better to the book. Apparently I find the printed word more inspiring than the screen when it comes to books on cleaning and home organization. I'm asking for this one for my birthday.

Reading Flesh and Blood So Cheap earlier this month interested me in the subject of the New York sweat shops and tenements, so I checked out How the Other Half Lives. The photographs really fascinated me. The writing itself was good, too, but was also a little startling in that the author makes such racist claims about the ethnic groups about which he is writing. I know this style was more common back then, but I'm not much used to reading it.

This week I'm reading Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie.

So, Rosie, you going to pick up where we left off on the WEM books? Let's see I think I left St. Teresa about midway.

I will if you will. :tongue_smilie:

What a good person you are! I only got a third of the way through. :tongue_smilie: I am trying to weather an Attack of Life just at the moment, and wondering how I'm going to get Midsummer Night's Dream done by the end of the month, but yes, Decartes is on my list of plans for the year. I'm not willing to commit to when just yet though! I think I only got through part of two or three WEM books last year (we did- or didn't- St Teresa, Michel de Montaigne and Margery Kempe last year? Or was Margery the year before? I can't remember!) and I want to do better this year. Maybe I'll even find one enjoyable enough to finish!

Rosie

it made me laugh out loud quite a few times!

I LOVE books like that. If I could, every OTHER book I read would be like that. :D I love humour (I'm spelling it the way I was taught in the U.K and here in Grenada - not the way I had to almost re-learn spelling in the U.S) :lol: :grouphug:.

I failed last week, tried to get into a book but just couldn't, I think I was too tired.

But so far this year I have read/listened to;

1.How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran

2.UFO for her by Xiaolu Guo

3. Earthsearch 2 by James Follet audio book

4. The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

I am planning to read some more of Jennifer Chiaverini's books this week as they were easy going and enjoyable.

Plowed through books 1-3 of Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series.

On book 4 now.

She is a Cherokee skinwalker/rogue vampire hunter. Fun.

Also reading A Different Dream for my Child, needed something badly devotional wise these days, I cry through it but the prayers are finally giving me a voice to cope.

Week 3: I read Tigerlily's Orchids and The Vault, both by Ruth Rendell -- they were both good. I started Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, but it is really not enjoyable for me -- I'm going to give it some more time this week. I grabbed Before the Dawn at the library on Friday and it is fantastic. So this week I'll be finishing that up.

Week 2:The Alchemyst, The Reading Promise, and Pinched. I enjoyed all of them, but I'm not sure that I liked the Alchemyst enough to continue with the series.

Week 1:Your Child's Writing Life and Tonight No Poetry Will Serve.

I had a very productive week! I read Ask Me Why I Hurt by Randy Christensen, M.D. It was a fantastic read about a doctor that refitted a Winnebago into a mobile doctor's office to serve homeless youth of Phoenix. http://www.phoenixchildrens.com/community/healthcare-outreach/crewsnhealthmobile/

I also read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I enjoyed the intertwine of photographs throughout the story. I was disappointed in the ending. And last but not least, I read Why Evolution Is True by Jerry A. Coyne. It is a book chalk-full of empirical facts supporting Darwin.

This week I have Catherine The Great By Robert K Massie and Ahab's Wife in front of me. Last week, I was number 52 for Catherine The Great at the library. Imagine my surprise when both books were waiting for me. I wonder if my librarian is a sadist? :D

Are you enjoying Death Comes to Pemberley?

Yes, I am. I must admit, though, that this is my first P.D. James book. And, I am not fully pleased with the way she has chosen to write Elizabeth's character in this book. However, I came into it expecting to be disappointed because of how much I like Austen's books and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it.

I enjoyed My Antonia by Willa Cather this week. This was part of my personal "Books I Supposedly Read While I Was in School" Challenge. It's funny to me how many of these books bored me out of my mind in high school and college, but are truly enjoyable and meaningful to me now. I am the poster child for that old saying: "Education is wasted on the young."

Books finished in 2012:

1. Unbroken

2. Little Bee

3. My Antonia

Books in progress:

1. Far from the Madding Crowd

2. The Narnian

3. A Praying Life

4. History of the Ancient World

5. Little Britches (a read aloud and a re-read)

I read "Watership Down" this week. Who knew that reading about bunnies could be so 'edge on your seat' kind of reading? I love this book! I think this might just be on my 'Top 10' list of all time.

You've talked me into it. I'm putting it on my TBR-aloud list. My older dc read it on their own and couldn't stop raving.

I finished The Infernals by John Connolly last night. It was an entertaining romp through Hell w/ some lol moments. Reminds me of a mix of Rick Riordan & Terry Pratchett.

My Goodreads Page

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (HHH)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (HH, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (HHHH)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (HHHH)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (HHHHH)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (HHH)

Week 1

1. Daddy Longlegs, Jean Webster - Kindle

2. Dear Enemy, Jean Webster - Kindle

3. Bookends of the Christian Life, Jerry Bridges

A Secret Kept, Tatiana de Rosnay (didn't like, quit)

Week 2

4. Gospel Wakefulness, Jared Wilson

5. A Praying Life, Paul Miller - Kindle

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen - library on Kindle (didn't like, quit - not doing well with fiction picks this year!)

Week 3

6. The Book of the Ancient World

7. The Book of the Greeks, both by Dorothy Mills

8. The Greek Way, Edith Hamilton

9. Organized Simplicity - Kindle

Week 4

10. In the Garden of Beasts, Erik Larson - library on Kindle

11. Think, John Piper

12. Lit, Tony Reinke

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Foe - quit!

Edited by LNC

I'm about 40 pages shy of finishing Unbroken. I told my husband that I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm not reading fiction. The thought that humans actually treat other humans so badly just sometimes won't register for me.

I think I'll start Ahab's Wife after that.

I did not get a chance to post last week, so catching up here. I finished #7 The Box of Delights by John Masefield, and #8 Bab: A Sub-Deb by Mary Roberts Rinehart.

I also read #9 And the Price is Right by Margaret Case Harriman - no, it's not about the game show, it's the story of Macy's department store.

#10 Truffled Feathers by Nancy Fairbanks, a culinary mystery, but it was pretty poor. It switches back and forth between two characters telling the story for no really discernable reason - it could just as easily have been told by one. Also, I thought I might like the recipes, but none of them were things I would ever make.

#11 Glossed and Found by India Ink (dorky name). This was OK. Not really enough mystery and too much relationship and fashion stuff.

#12 One Day by David Nicholls. I enjoyed this, although parts of it were maddening, and the ending was manipulative. But overall, a decent read.

#13 Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. I know this came out awhile ago but I had never read it till now when my sister loaned a copy. I read this at one sitting and found it fascinating and scary. I know there are some issues with Zeitoun's behavior in the book, but I empathized with the family a lot because a number of my close friends are Middle Eastern and some have been targeted after 9/11. I also found it interesting because the city where I live has parallels to New Orleans in that we are protected by levees, too, and very subject to flooding in the case of a big storm and levee failure. Definitely made me think.

Anyway, not sure what I'm reading next. I've got a bunch of books sitting here to choose from.

P.S. I have never read the Harry Potter books either, although some of my kids have.

P.P.S. I tried reading Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and couldn't get into it. I guess I'm just weird. Can I still post here? ;)

I read another Arthur Phillips novel this week, "Angelica." It was creepy and lots of fun. I think I'm hooked on his books, now.

I'm about halfway through "The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane," by Katherine Howe. I'm enjoying it, but I kind of wish it would pick up a little. It wants very badly to be either "Possesion" or "A Discovery of Witches," but it's not grabbing my attention. I had actually started it before "Angelica" but set it aside.

After this one, I want to read one of the classics in my personal quest to read everything covered in "The Book of Great Books." I have a nice stack of options awaiting my attention. So, we'll see which one leaps into my hand.

I read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger- creepy, but good.

I've started reading Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King this week. It's about the Saxon princess Margaret, who marries Malcolm Canmore of Scotland in an attempt to help her brother Edgar reclaim the English throne. I'm only a couple of chapters into it so far, but it's pretty good.

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction about a Hmong child with a severe seizure disorder in the '80s. Cultural dislocation and misunderstandings mean that things do not go well, but full of a lot of information about Hmong culture and history. Similar in scope to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Lots of interviews and research. Well done, although I doubt the author really understands the seizure disorder, my son has it as well so I really felt for the parents.

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction, what would have happened if the US government honored the Cheyenne request for white brides in order to unite the two cultures? The main character was sent to a madhouse for shacking up with a guy of whom her rich father didn't approve. A little too fawning over the Cheyenne and not a fan of Christianity, but finished it and it had some interesting aspects regarding the time period and Cheyenne culture.

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~Youth fiction, a plucky governess tutors three children who were raised by wolves.

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester (read aloud)~Classic youth fiction, boy takes a car through a mysterious tollbooth into a strange world.

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery, first US attempt at profiling a serial killer by a psychiatrist (known as an alienist) and friends.

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction, a small girl is abandoned on a ship to Australia with a white suitcase and a fairy book.

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction, following several arty, progressive families from the late Victorian period through WWI.

In progress:

Fire Upon the Deep (Vinge)

How the Other Half Lives (Riis)

The Alphabet in the Park (Prado)

Ender's Game (Card)

The Circus in Winter (Day)

Edited by LostSurprise
ill-conceived grammar

I read another Arthur Phillips novel this week, "Angelica." It was creepy and lots of fun. I think I'm hooked on his books, now.

I'm about halfway through "The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane," by Katherine Howe. I'm enjoying it, but I kind of wish it would pick up a little. It wants very badly to be either "Possesion" or "A Discovery of Witches," but it's not grabbing my attention. I had actually started it before "Angelica" but set it aside.

After this one, I want to read one of the classics in my personal quest to read everything covered in "The Book of Great Books." I have a nice stack of options awaiting my attention. So, we'll see which one leaps into my hand.

Ok. Stop. I loved both Possession and A Discovery of Witches but I haven't met anyone else who read Discovery IRL too. :001_smile:

Discovery wasn't perfect by any means but it was a good first attempt! I don't think it deserved all the trashing it got in some reviews.

I loved that book. I think I'm going to tell everyone on this thread how much I loved it every single week until you all read it. ;)

I'm on the library wait list! It's kind of a long list....

Stacia, thank you. :) A wonderful surprise to end my day.

:001_smile:

Well, today, I read Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. Partly, I read it because the author is named Banana. ;):lol: It was ok, a musing on loss, sadness, & living/coping/moving on after the death of a loved one. I cried (& got a headache). I can see how this book would appeal to many (& Yoshimoto is apparently very popular in Japan); however, it's not really my style book. I enjoyed some of the writing & style; didn't care as much for other parts. I do think she captured parts of the grieving process very well.

I've now started The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott.

From Publishers Weekly:

"Starred Review. At once an engrossing historical, a love story about an unlikely passion and a novel of ideas that lucidly presents philosophical speculation about natural science, Stott's second novel (after
Ghostwalk
) is a powerful offering from an immensely talented writer. Narrated by young Englishman Daniel Connor, fresh out of medical school and traveling to a coveted research position in post-Napoleonic Paris in 1815, the novel begins with his realization that his scientific credentials, including a priceless coral specimen, have been stolen by the beautiful woman who sat next to him in the coach. She turns out to be Lucienne Bernard, a notorious thief being pursued by the chief of the Bureau de la SĂƒÂ»retĂƒÂ©, Henri Jagot (based on a real figure and bound to make readers think of Javert). A cat and mouse game ensues, as Jagot tries to enlist Connor to trap Lucienne, but Connor falls deeply in love with the philosopher-thief and eventually makes a decision that might cost him his career, his freedom and his spiritual beliefs. Vividly atmospheric, propulsive and intricately plotted, this is a surefire page turner with literary heft and wide appeal."

My Goodreads Page

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (HHH)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (HH, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (HHHH)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (HHHH)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (HHHHH)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (HHH)

07. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (HH)

Just finished The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen, and I liked it--quick, easy, fun...I might try some others she wrote.

Finished so far:

1. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone

2. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (audio)

3. My Name is Asher Lev

4. All the Pretty Horses (audio)

5. The Sugar Queen

Currently reading:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (to keep up with kids--never read it before)

The House of Seven Gables (before our tour of Salem MA soon with a friend)

Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets (audio with kids)

The Time Traveler's Wife (audio)

I have Ahab's Wife but haven't jumped in. Lots on my plate currently, but I might try to get started.

I love reading about all the books everyone is reading! I'm inspired to try so many new things now.

I'm SO glad we don't have to have Ahab's Wife completed, I'm only about 1/3 of the way in after 2 weeks of reading it! Last week was super busy for me though, so maybe I'll make some more headway this week. I'm loving it but also can't wait to just get it finished -I just don't have that much time to read through such a thick book right now, with all the young kids in the house. Didn't read anything else this past week.

I finished Ahab's Wife (finally!), still plugging away at Walden, and I read Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis between yesterday and this evening. I need a little Jack fix here and there. He's like a nice plate of organic veggies for my brain and soul. Love me some Jack. <3 I think I'll finish Walden and read The Once and Future King next. Anna Karenina is next on my WEM list but I'm just not ready to delve into another billion page long book. :/ I put Catching Fire on hold tonight. Maybe after I read that I'll be ready for Anna. Maybe. :D

2012 Books:

2. Til We Have Faces

1. Ahab's Wife

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (3rd in the Fallen Angels series). I don't like this series AS much as her Black Dagger Brotherhood (vampire) series but I do like it.

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series). I don't like this series as much as her Fever series and it's more typical romance but it's got highlanders and a bit of time travel thrown in so it's fun fluff.

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan. I read this one with my daughter for school/social studies. It's a 157 pg Penguin Classic but it actually kind of held my interest. Probably more so than hers.

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series). What can I say. Continuing my guilty pleasure series. Still waiting for the newest Stephen King to become available at my library. More guilty pleasure reading.

I read "Watership Down" this week. Who knew that reading about bunnies could be so 'edge on your seat' kind of reading? I love this book! I think this might just be on my 'Top 10' list of all time.

I saw that movie years and years ago and only have vague memories of it. I never did read the book. I should read the book (AND rewatch the movie as an adult now)!