Menu

Memoria Press Famous Men Greece & Rome student text and teacher's guides?

LNC

We are using Famous Men of Greece this year with my ds. As written, the student guides are much like other Memoria Press study guides--there are straightforward comprehension questions, a "vocabulary" type section in the form of the names of the famous Greeks, famous sayings, names of battles, place names etc, mapwork, and suggestions for some additional exercises. It suggests making a timeline, and memorizing maps/cities of Greece etc. Ds is a bit young IMO to use it as written.

We read the story, ds narrates, we add people/dates/battles to a timeline, and ds draws and labels a picture for his notebook. We could have bought only the TM, since we do everything orally,--the TM is basically the student guide with answers (it also contains other teaching resources like a finished timeline, maps, and suggestions for extra projects) If you don't want to do the mapwork or timeline, you may even be able to work with just the story book, doing narrations and coming up with your own questions. So, basically, read the story, narrate, and after that decide whether you want to timeline, do mapwork, or do extra studies (the Olympic games, Greek Triremes, and extra mythology are some suggestions from the guide) With a little effort you can expand it to a full fledged Greek history course, or go basic and use it just to familiarize your dc with some heavy-hitters from Greek history.

Ds says that Famous Men of Greece/Greek history is his favorite subject!

We are making a notebook for our ancient studies. I spent some time today making a rubric about what I want them to include in each weekly summary worksheet using our History Scribe printouts. I feel more confident that with planning they will create a notebook of important names, dates, great works, and places I want them to remember.

I tend to overbuy and not have time for everything. Thanks for your input and saving me the purchase...

We have used both the Rome and Greece books and will be using the Middle Ages later this year. We enjoy them, though we just go over the student text/TM orally.

We read the story, ds narrates, we add people/dates/battles to a timeline, and ds draws and labels a picture for his notebook. We could have bought only the TM, since we do everything orally,--the TM is basically the student guide with answers (it also contains other teaching resources like a finished timeline, maps, and suggestions for extra projects) If you don't want to do the mapwork or timeline, you may even be able to work with just the story book, doing narrations and coming up with your own questions. So, basically, read the story, narrate, and after that decide whether you want to timeline, do mapwork, or do extra studies
This.

I am glad, though, that we have the student book as DS does like to have a photocopy of the blank maps to work with.